General [official] Music Discussion Thread.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Somebody mentioned Janis Joplin...I always enjoy listening to this but I dunno why...she couldn't sing for shite, and her band could neither sing nor play guitar...just goes to show what marketing will do...everybody back then raved about her!!!
My most favourite female artist

Reactions: bruce and Noitall

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Guns N Roses have announced a show in Auckland next year. Axl Rose did a good job hitting the high notes on the Brian Johnson era AC/DC songs when he helped them complete their Rock or Bust tour. GNR have been touring quite heavily since they reformed. His voice is starting to wear a bit. This recent clip he sound more Mickey Mouse than normal.

Not for $260 GA 🤯

• Wow
Reactions: Tragic

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
For music documentaries as Metallica were celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Black Album I went back and watched A Year in the Life of Metallica documenting the making of the album and the tour. I then followed that up with Some Kind of Monster.

It was quite surreal seeing them young, hungry on top of their game followed by the band falling apart.

Some Kind of Monster they are a bunch of guys getting older trying to hang on to their youth as much as you can. They look quite odd dressing and cutting/dying their hair to look like the nu metal acts of the time.

Reactions: Worried2Death

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Some other documentaries or making of videos I like are:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Funky Monks. Goes over the making of Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Filmed in black and white and in a house in LA.

Sex Pistols - The Filth and the Fury. This one got a theatrical release. Interesting seeing the birth of punk and how the band was formed. One thing that always stuck out to me was at the time in England the rubbish people went on strike or something along those lines and they had trash piled up in the street.
Iron Maiden - Flight 666. Goes over their Somewhere Back in Time tour where they redo the setlist from the World Slavery Tour from 1984 for the PowerSlave album. Has them traveling, back stage footge before and after the shows with concert footage added in for various stops. Also the first one Bruce Dickinson flies the plane and they go over that.

Iron Maiden - History of Iron Maiden parts 1-3. Goes over the band forming and getting big. Interesting to see the turn over of the members until they get to a settled line up after about their 3rd album. Has a great bit where they go behind the iron curtain and a guy says he wants to do a heavy metal album with synthesizers. Bruce Dickinson shoots him down "Nah mate you can't do heavy metal with synthesizers". The next Iron Maiden album comes out and they use synthesizers.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
For music documentaries as Metallica were celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Black Album I went back and watched A Year in the Life of Metallica documenting the making of the album and the tour. I then followed that up with Some Kind of Monster.

It was quite surreal seeing them young, hungry on top of their game followed by the band falling apart.

Some Kind of Monster they are a bunch of guys getting older trying to hang on to their youth as much as you can. They look quite odd dressing and cutting/dying their hair to look like the nu metal acts of the time.
So, who do you think replaced "Zone It" with "Bone It"?

And I've lost all respect for James Hetfield since he proved he can't slam doors worth a damn...

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Sad day with Emma Watkins retiring :cool:
Must be like Fleetwood Mac backstage at the Wiggles, they've all been married to each other. I confess I'll miss her too, can't wait for her solo work.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Must be like Fleetwood Mac backstage at the Wiggles, they've all been married to each other. I confess I'll miss her too, can't wait for her solo work.

Its a good trivia question as the Wiggles are the biggest selling Aussie group after AC/DC

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
A video for Music heads.

Jacksons singing voice was pitch perfect without need for effects, as was Freddy Mercury's singing voice.

I find it interesting to see Jackson at work. He makes it look easy. And it is not surprising to see he was a perfectionist on every note.

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings