General [official] Music Discussion Thread.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Guns N Roses have announced a show in Auckland next year. Axl Rose did a good job hitting the high notes on the Brian Johnson era AC/DC songs when he helped them complete their Rock or Bust tour. GNR have been touring quite heavily since they reformed. His voice is starting to wear a bit. This recent clip he sound more Mickey Mouse than normal.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Before everyone gets too nostalgic about 90’s music, remember it’s also the decade which gave us MMMBop by Hanson.

I did listen to it 🤣 ...trainspotter question...who really played the instruments?

What is that Bruce? Of course they played them...pull the other one Bruce.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Noitall

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Somebody mentioned Janis Joplin...I always enjoy listening to this but I dunno why...she couldn't sing for shite, and her band could neither sing nor play guitar...just goes to show what marketing will do...everybody back then raved about her!!!

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Guns N Roses have announced a show in Auckland next year. Axl Rose did a good job hitting the high notes on the Brian Johnson era AC/DC songs when he helped them complete their Rock or Bust tour. GNR have been touring quite heavily since they reformed. His voice is starting to wear a bit. This recent clip he sound more Mickey Mouse than normal.

Absolutely idolised these guys, then saw them at Mt Smart and never felt the same about them. One of the true great bands that carried the torch of rock n roll and excess post the greatest rock bands though. Axl had a style of his own, remember the bike shorts, bandannas and basketball boots. Fit as fiddle though with all the running onstage.

Reactions: snake77 and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Absolutely idolised these guys, then saw them at Mt Smart and never felt the same about them.
That is a common story...also goes the other way...a band that didn't blow you away till you saw them on stage...then they did!!

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
She was in the 27 club...died at 27 same as Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse...honestly if it wasn't for that she would be on the scrap heap.
Pigpen McCernan was a couple of years later in 1973, one of the founders of the Grateful Dead. Started early on, though I’m sure there were more earlier, with Robert Johnson in the 30s, the 27 club. She had a great voice Janis Joplin, true gritty blues with the sadness she endured in her life tinged. At her peak was a great performance at the Monterey pop festival in 67, the song ball and chain and cry baby a showcase with the likes of Mama Cass in the crowd in awe. Though sadly her voice did decline as you can hear around the Mercedes Benz recording. Influenced many as you can hear in Robert Plant and Axl Rose and many more.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Somebody mentioned Janis Joplin...I always enjoy listening to this but I dunno why...she couldn't sing for shite, and her band could neither sing nor play guitar...just goes to show what marketing will do...everybody back then raved about her!!!
I think its about the passion she has for the songs or for what she is singing, there are others who just dont have great voices but they are passionate about either singing or the songs and you can feel it, like Neil young or shane macgowan or even dylan and hendrix.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
There were a lot of great female singers in that period, most were solo or in girl groups like Diana Ross. You had Janis, Grace Slick, Petula Clarke, Bobby Gentry, Cilla Black, the peerless Aretha and the white Negress, Dusty Springfield

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
I thought Amy Winehurst was great
People have cashed in on her talent

4F0E6A01-4E9F-4C00-A814-33E4900E3B92.jpeg

It’s an off licence in Sunderland

She was a serious talent though. Just a shame about falling in with a dickhead of a bloke and the addictions

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Absolutely idolised these guys, then saw them at Mt Smart and never felt the same about them. One of the true great bands that carried the torch of rock n roll and excess post the greatest rock bands though. Axl had a style of his own, remember the bike shorts, bandannas and basketball boots. Fit as fiddle though with all the running onstage.
I was thinking about going to see them when they come next year. The new shows look like they play a long setlist. Things have been looking pretty good since Axl, Slash and Duff got back together. That clip though does look like they need a break for a bit so Axl can rest up a bit.

I would of hated to be at one of the concerts years ago when Axl was full prima donna and insisting on going on when he's ready. I remember one of my mates saying about them at Mt Smart and how fed up he was waiting for them. He was a big fan as well.

Their excesses make for interesting reading. Slash's autobiography is a good read. Some crazy stories while trying to get off drugs. One he decided to met Adler and one of their management team at a resort. He arrived later and decided to get one last hit, ended up trashing the place. Adler and the manager come to see what the comotion was.

Also read a good GBR one. Thick it was by Mick Wall.

Their going on late. Axl complaining the other guys are too messed up to perform. Their response was we were fine but got bored waiting for you so we started drinking.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I was thinking about going to see them when they come next year. The new shows look like they play a long setlist. Things have been looking pretty good since Axl, Slash and Duff got back together. That clip though does look like they need a break for a bit so Axl can rest up a bit.

I would of hated to be at one of the concerts years ago when Axl was full prima donna and insisting on going on when he's ready. I remember one of my mates saying about them at Mt Smart and how fed up he was waiting for them. He was a big fan as well.

Their excesses make for interesting reading. Slash's autobiography is a good read. Some crazy stories while trying to get off drugs. One he decided to met Adler and one of their management team at a resort. He arrived later and decided to get one last hit, ended up trashing the place. Adler and the manager come to see what the comotion was.

Also read a good GBR one. Thick it was by Mick Wall.

Their going on late. Axl complaining the other guys are too messed up to perform. Their response was we were fine but got bored waiting for you so we started drinking.
Sometimes just gotta catch them on a good day, other times they get better with age.
Saw RHCP recently (pre Covid)after hearing they were a bit average live but was pleasantly surprised. Was blown away how good Green Day were after all these years they’d really honed their act. Sadly had tickets for Offspring before Covid cancelled it but I suspect they’d be in the fading category

Reactions: snake77

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings