General [official] Music Discussion Thread.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
DMX died in April this year. Cocaine caused heart failure :(

Doja Cat with some hotties :cool:

He was going out with Aaliyah before she died, such a beautiful woman and a real waste in both instances. Used to enjoy her music and Missy Elliot, Timberland is a great producer. They had a great stable the ruff ryders with DMX.

Reactions: Inruin and BiggerD

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I remember years ago a guy called Monty Knight who used to be heavily involved in the Auckland music scene before he moved back to Kaitaia to run his parents jewellery shop.

Anyway he was being interviewed on the radio about bands he knew, and he knew a lot of them.

He said that any half decent band had a degree of tension between the members. I always remembered that.

The Everley Brothers hated each other, even stayed in different hotels on tour.

Crosby Stills and Nash fight like fark, and in public. I think they stay in different hotels on tour as well.

Savage Garden the Aussie band don't even talk to each other at functions they attend.

However the cake must go to Fleetwood Mac.

Their famous Rumours album was a genuine work of genius made while they were all fighting and shagging around (two married couples and Mick Fleetwoods wife was shagging his best friend so he was shagging Stevie Nicks).

One of the best selling songs from the album Go Your Own Way was written by Lyndsey Buckingham about being in love with Stevie but she was "packing up and shacking up".

She asked him to change the words, but he refused. he had always been a control freak apparently. He was the "cruel dude" in the Eagles song life in the fast lane apparently

I think at one point the two of them got into a massive physical fight where one of them, probably Stevie was almost strangled before the others pulled them apart.

Anyway Buckingham got sacked from the group, which I think is a shame because although Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are brilliant musicians, they don't quite make up for Buckingham, just IMO. Apparently they still pull in the money though.

So here is the latest story, and their best song from Rumours:

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I remember years ago a guy called Monty Knight who used to be heavily involved in the Auckland music scene before he moved back to Kaitaia to run his parents jewellery shop.

Anyway he was being interviewed on the radio about bands he knew, and he knew a lot of them.

He said that any half decent band had a degree of tension between the members. I always remembered that.

The Everley Brothers hated each other, even stayed in different hotels on tour.

Crosby Stills and Nash fight like fark, and in public. I think they stay in different hotels on tour as well.

Savage Garden the Aussie band don't even talk to each other at functions they attend.

However the cake must go to Fleetwood Mac.

Their famous Rumours album was a genuine work of genius made while they were all fighting and shagging around (two married couples and Mick Fleetwoods wife was shagging his best friend so he was shagging Stevie Nicks).

One of the best selling songs from the album Go Your Own Way was written by Lyndsey Buckingham about being in love with Stevie but she was "packing up and shacking up".

She asked him to change the words, but he refused. he had always been a control freak apparently. He was the "cruel dude" in the Eagles song life in the fast lane apparently

I think at one point the two of them got into a massive physical fight where one of them, probably Stevie was almost strangled before the others pulled them apart.

Anyway Buckingham got sacked from the group, which I think is a shame because although Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are brilliant musicians, they don't quite make up for Buckingham, just IMO. Apparently they still pull in the money though.

So here is the latest story, and their best song from Rumours:
A fantastic example of what you’re talking about is a song called silver springs at the concert the dance I think. The raw emotions between Nicks and Buckingham plays out like theatre. Must have been hard for any of their partners later on, as a concert must have dragged up some memories and emotions every show.

• Love
Reactions: bruce

Evil_Mush

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Just a public service announcement that the new Alien Weaponry album Tangaroa is out today, about to check it out on Spotify to finish the work week with a bang 🤘

How has it already been 9 months since their tour, can't wait to get amongst it again whenever they come back!

Speaking of live shows, waiting to hear if the Shihad show will still go ahead in November, c'mon Delta just f@#$ off already! Must've seen them about 20 times since the first one during my uni Orientation week in 2000 (with HLAH, which I can barely remember, thanks beersies!), never disappoint live!

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Seeing similarities between songs is always interesting.

I saw a video a few weeks back about Metallica songs that had similarities to bads they are known to have listened to growing up.

Apparently one of their early songs they needed a breakdown and Dave Mustaine taking the piss played Sweet Home Alabama. They other guys like it and Mustaine's like WTF we can't use that.

• Haha
Reactions: Noitall

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The lawsuit for Stairway to Heaven got a lot of media attention a few years back.

I read an autobiography on them around that time as I was going through a lot of Mick Walls autobiographies on various artists. Its enjoyable reading the drug tales in music auto biographies or the weird situations they find themselves in while on drugs.

In this Led Zeppelin book he outlines how the band forms after the Yarbirds dispanded and started as the New Yardbirds. First album Jeff Beck who was in the Yardbirds tells Jimmy Page "Nice album, notice you stole all of our songs". Page brushes it off with "Well we weren't using them".

Pretty much every album was followed with this song is similar to this one, this songs pretty much matches this one.

There was even a quote that Jimmy Page was questioned on one and his response was "Yeah Robert was supposed to change the lyrics". Been a while since I read it but I remember some of them it was the music and others it was the lyrics.

Robert Plant recently criticised legacy bands as it being too comfortable and sure he's done other things since Zeppelin disbanded. But the band where he made his name can be questioned.

I now there are so many cords so there will be similarities. But there is too much of a coincidence with their work. Searching on Led Zeppelin and plagarism and you get quite a bit.

Reactions: Noitall and Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Seeing similarities between songs is always interesting.

I saw a video a few weeks back about Metallica songs that had similarities to bads they are known to have listened to growing up.

Apparently one of their early songs they needed a breakdown and Dave Mustaine taking the piss played Sweet Home Alabama. They other guys like it and Mustaine's like WTF we can't use that.
Hammett said he was trying to come up with a riff that sounded like sound garden when he wrote enter sandman.

Reactions: snake77

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
The lawsuit for Stairway to Heaven got a lot of media attention a few years back.

I read an autobiography on them around that time as I was going through a lot of Mick Walls autobiographies on various artists. Its enjoyable reading the drug tales in music auto biographies or the weird situations they find themselves in while on drugs.

In this Led Zeppelin book he outlines how the band forms after the Yarbirds dispanded and started as the New Yardbirds. First album Jeff Beck who was in the Yardbirds tells Jimmy Page "Nice album, notice you stole all of our songs". Page brushes it off with "Well we weren't using them".

Pretty much every album was followed with this song is similar to this one, this songs pretty much matches this one.

There was even a quote that Jimmy Page was questioned on one and his response was "Yeah Robert was supposed to change the lyrics". Been a while since I read it but I remember some of them it was the music and others it was the lyrics.

Robert Plant recently criticised legacy bands as it being too comfortable and sure he's done other things since Zeppelin disbanded. But the band where he made his name can be questioned.

I now there are so many cords so there will be similarities. But there is too much of a coincidence with their work. Searching on Led Zeppelin and plagarism and you get quite a bit.

Massive unrest between Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds for them kicking him out. Hard case his speech at the Yardbirds induction to the rock and roll hall of fame. Gets on the stage to applause and proceeds to tell them about being kicked out and finally says “fuck them”. All pretty light hearted by the induction, probably not back then when it happened though. Terry Reid was the initial singer who was approached to be in the new yardbirds, what was to be Led Zeppelin. Hard case story he tells of being at Mick and Bianca Jaggers wedding in Nicaragua. Keith Richards is best man and turns up in full nazi uniform, he said he sneezed as he walked down the aisle and all the guests ducked thinking the nazis had returned after capturing Nicaragua in the war.

Reactions: snake77

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The craziest was John Fogerty being sued for plagiarising himself for a solo record he did over a CCR song. 'The old man down the road' V 'Run through the jungle' I think.

The Prosecution had computers, 'beep, beep' to show the similarities. Fogarty plugged in his guitar and played both songs in Court. He won and how could he fail.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I'm a huge AC/DC fan. The music is always accused of being simple cause its a few cords. But most musicians can't play it properly, especially the drumming.

It being simple you would think there would be a lot of riff that are repeated from previous songs or similar to other bands. They do have a similar palm muting breakdown on a few songs but thats usually designed for when they play live to get crowd interaction.

There is one incident the brothers have discussed where Angus would show Malcolm a riff. Malcolm would tell him "That's nice", Angus "Do you thing we can use it". Malcolm "We could but we already call it <insert name>". Angus goes off to find another riff idea.

Reactions: Noitall

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings