General [official] Music Discussion Thread.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Not at all Bruce on the taste thing.

I was classically trained in Piano as an example and I cannot stand Mozart, I am all about Beethoven.

That is the individuality that music reflects.

I cannot stand Jazz....and I don’t mean Tevanga....oh sure I like some Jazz anthems but I find the genre grossly overrated American constipation.

Moral of the story...someone can be a crazy good player of a sound...but if you dont like the sound so what....you are allowed.

Just like I am gonna declare here and now Miles Davis is an overrated noise blasting American Bs Trumpet blower.

Whoa sacrilidge lots of black peole wanna suck his horn.....whatever It is just noise to me...I dont like the Trumpet period so.....Mr Davis go play somewhere I am not..
I was never into jazz or blues until I got dragged to a few festivals by an ex. I got a much better appreciation of it then.

It is difficult music to play, a bit like complicated guitar riffs so the true fans appreciate that skill as much as the sound.

I imagine if one was an an African American in the south or the Great Lakes industrial area it would have been quite enjoyable to them.

A bit like Pink Floyd, who I had no interest at all in the 60s, mind you their stuff then was really out there, but their later stuff is timeless IMO.

Just a question, the Eagles music sounds a it bland at times, but try singing Hotel California at a karaoke bar when you are pissed. Don Henley is one hell of a singer.

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Musical prodigy without peer in the world really.

There has never been, and probably will never again be anyone like him in any musical genre.

Fluent in seventeen instruments in high school.

Played all twenty three instruments on his first Album.

Compositions include songs written for Kenny Rogers.

Pretty insane when you look at the solos he composed for iconic tracks like lets go crazy and Purple rain....given that the piano Keyboards and drums were his strongest instruments. A brilliant guitarist who was not a guitarist.

Pretty much a guy that Motzart and Beethoven could have a conversation with.
100%. He was a musical genius, got here not long before he died and played a piano alone to a small audience. There’s a great show called Mike Judge Presents that tells stories about musicians in animated form that has an episode on his early days and rivalry with Morris Day, just like most geniuses, an odd man by the sounds. One series on Mike judge presents is on funk artists stories and another on country. Loved one on funk where Bootsy Collins and band mates passing around a cup with LSD before James Brown unknowingly demands a sip before going onstage, they were sacked. A good country one was George Jones having an argument with himself and kicking himself off the tour bus.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Just like I am gonna declare here and now Miles Davis is an overrated noise blasting American Bs Trumpet blower.
He was a massive Hendrix fan and loved his song Machine Gun, they were set to jam before Hendrix died. Would loved to have heard what those two could have created. I can agree with you to a point but he a John Coltrane were heavy in a movement and are apart of musical folklore. I can take or leave some but so what is a great piece of music.

Geoff Public

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
It's interesting the number of songs that's been around for decades that i.ve just recently discovered surprising facts about them. i never knew....

(apologies to those that its all old news for)

i.e
Mark Knopfler wrote "Private Dancer" for Tina Turner
Prince wrote "Eternal Flame" for The Bangles
Stevie Ray Vaughn plays the guitar riff in David Bowie's 'China Girl"

Also....Chuck Berry once punched Keith Richards in the face for touching his guitar :oops:
I recently watched a 3 part series on Nile Rogers. I never realized how much input he had on Bowies Let's Dance album.
I remember thinking the $18.90 ticket price for his Serious Moonlight concert was pretty steep. But I had a great night. It kicked off being told we were the 4th largest city in NZ and just got better.

Reactions: Defence

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Just a question, the Eagles music sounds a it bland at times, but try singing Hotel California at a karaoke bar when you are pissed. Don Henley is one hell of a singer.
Don Henley is a massively talented musician. Think of how hard it must be to play drums and sing, both hands and a foot moving at different times, not to mention those who play a set with a double kicker. Can think of him Phil Collins and Dennis Wilson off the top. There’s probably heaps, talented though.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Musical prodigy without peer in the world really.

There has never been, and probably will never again be anyone like him in any musical genre.

Fluent in seventeen instruments in high school.

Played all twenty three instruments on his first Album.

Compositions include songs written for Kenny Rogers.

Pretty insane when you look at the solos he composed for iconic tracks like lets go crazy and Purple rain....given that the piano Keyboards and drums were his strongest instruments. A brilliant guitarist who was not a guitarist.

Pretty much a guy that Motzart and Beethoven could have a conversation with.
Seen prince live- blew my mind.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Don Henley is a massively talented musician. Think of how hard it must be to play drums and sing, both hands and a foot moving at different times, not to mention those who play a set with a double kicker. Can think of him Phil Collins and Dennis Wilson off the top. There’s probably heaps, talented though.
Levon Helm blows them all out of the water. I'd pay good money not to have to listen to Phil Collins or the Eagles now.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Levon Helm and Don Henley shared lead vocals in their bands, other who sang lead and drummed were Karen Carpenter, Ringo Starr and Roger Taylor
Don Henley stopped playing the drums after Hotel California. He was never that good anyway. Scott Crago took over and is still the Eagles and Henleys drummer.

Levon Helm is heyzeuss reincarnated. No arguments accepted. Heyzeuss can do anything BTW.

When did Roger Taylor sing lead except for that "I like my car song"? Immensely talented musician though.

According to the late Hal Blaine, who was numero uno of session drummers in the 60's and 70s, and who played on all the Carpenters records, Karen was actually a very good drummer, for a girl (quote!!)

Reactions: Worried2Death

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
It’s a good yarn but he never actually said that.
Wow, I saw Wings in 1974 at Western Springs, excellent. Paul will always be able to get top draw session musos to tour with. I reckon tickets will be as scarce as hens teeth.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Don Henley stopped playing the drums after Hotel California. He was never that good anyway. Scott Crago took over and is still the Eagles and Henleys drummer.

Levon Helm is heyzeuss reincarnated. No arguments accepted. Heyzeuss can do anything BTW.

When did Roger Taylor sing lead except for that "I like my car song"? Immensely talented musician though.

According to the late Hal Blaine, who was numero uno of session drummers in the 60's and 70s, and who played on all the Carpenters records, Karen was actually a very good drummer, for a girl (quote!!)
Don Henley still plays drums for some of the Eagles songs. Check out the credits from their last album Long Road out of Eden (please excuse the Russian comrades):

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Don Henley still plays drums for some of the Eagles songs. Check out the credits from their last album Long Road out of Eden (please excuse the Russian comrades):

Yes I agree he does, sometimes but not often. Scott Crago is a much better drummer and Henley knows it.

Henley only wants the best. For a guy with a very unusual singing style, he really is in a class of his own as a singer.

This is one of my favourites of his, purely because of his singing, in comparison to Boys of Summer where Mike Campbells music production takes the attention.

Note that Scott Crago is on the drums n this clip too.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
He is a sick man. Drummers bad back
I’m old enough to have played drums before the days of in ear monitors and have gone deaf in my left ear due to having fold back/stage speakers on that side. My bad back didn’t come from drumming but slouching too much when playing the piano. Now days, just play a Yamaha electric piano after selling the acoustic one last year.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

I included Taylor as he was such an integral part of Queen's harmonies.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Wow, I saw Wings in 1974 at Western Springs, excellent. Paul will always be able to get top draw session musos to tour with. I reckon tickets will be as scarce as hens teeth.
I seen mccartney a couple of years back at sun Corp- it was amazing- obviously every song was a winner but I really enjoyed some of the stories he would slip in about Hendrix or the stones or John.
I splashed out big time for quality seats but no regrets.

Melbourne Storm Central Coast Stadium, Gosford Rate Match

Last Game

13 Jun

4.3 Total Avg Rating
5.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 6 ratings