General [official] Music Discussion Thread.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019

RIP Peter Green. Brilliant guitarist
Amazing guitarist, loved the interplay between Green, Jeremy spencer and Danny Kirwan in the albatross era. Gary Moore was looked down upon for ending up with his Gibson, Les Paul for next to nothing as its humbuckers were put upside down creating a unique sound in that guitar, love Gary Moore too. One of the most expensive guitars in history these days. Green and spencer had bad trips that they never came back from, Mick Fleetwood a few years later would bring in Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and pianist Christine Perfect, who became Christine Mcvie after marrying John Mcvie and the rest is history. Peter Green is one of the greatest guitarists ever, a true bluesmen.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Sad news. After watching the Mick Fleetwood episode of Brian Johnson's life on the Road I've been on a bit of a Fleetwood Mac kick.

They say your musical taste is meant to shrink or stay the same as you get older. Mine seems to be expanding.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
On a bit of a happier note. 40 years ago a band lost it's singer in February, decided to hire a new singer and see if their new material was any good. They hired a down and out singer from an old 70's glam band called Geordie. The out of luck singer decided to take up the audition offer as he was on the way down to London for a vaccum cleaner commercial.

They hit the Bahama's to record in Compass Point Studios. Finishing up the singer thought he'd stuffed up as his lyrics were way to high.

That album is celebrating it's 40th birthday this week. I think it went alright, ended up as one of the highest selling albums of all time.

Happy birthday Back in Black.

Reactions: bruce and Noitall

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
On a bit of a happier note. 40 years ago a band lost it's singer in February, decided to hire a new singer and see if their new material was any good. They hired a down and out singer from an old 70's glam band called Geordie. The out of luck singer decided to take up the audition offer as he was on the way down to London for a vaccum cleaner commercial.

They hit the Bahama's to record in Compass Point Studios. Finishing up the singer thought he'd stuffed up as his lyrics were way to high.

That album is celebrating it's 40th birthday this week. I think it went alright, ended up as one of the highest selling albums of all time.

He was ok, but I still think Bon Scott was better, just IMO.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Amazing guitarist, loved the interplay between Green, Jeremy spencer and Danny Kirwan in the albatross era. Gary Moore was looked down upon for ending up with his Gibson, Les Paul for next to nothing as its humbuckers were put upside down creating a unique sound in that guitar, love Gary Moore too. One of the most expensive guitars in history these days. Green and spencer had bad trips that they never came back from, Mick Fleetwood a few years later would bring in Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and pianist Christine Perfect, who became Christine Mcvie after marrying John Mcvie and the rest is history. Peter Green is one of the greatest guitarists ever, a true bluesmen.
As I understand the story they were some of many great young musos passing through John Mayalls Bluesbreakers (had tickets to his concert which Covid 19 cancelled). Mayall said that his dream rythym section was Fleetwood and MacVie. So when they left with Peter Green, who was probably the most gifted of the lot it was called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. From all accounts Fleetwood and McVie were harsh on their lead guitarists. Green ended up in an institution.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England

When I lived in Newcastle, late 80’s the football team were rubbish and had no money. Brian Johnson was constantly mentioned in the local press as a possible owner with money. Two workmates used to crack me up with their obsession with it, ‘That AC/DC lad, he’s a Geordie yer nar‘ was a bit of a catchphrase :D:D:D

Reactions: bruce and snake77

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
As I understand the story they were some of many great young musos passing through John Mayalls Bluesbreakers (had tickets to his concert which Covid 19 cancelled). Mayall said that his dream rythym section was Fleetwood and MacVie. So when they left with Peter Green, who was probably the most gifted of the lot it was called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. From all accounts Fleetwood and McVie were harsh on their lead guitarists. Green ended up in an institution.
After too much lsd Green went and joined a cult and ended up with severe mental issues, much like Syd Barrett from Pink Floyd. Jeremy Spencer took some lsd on the day an earthquake struck and he thought he was apart of the earthquake, crazy times. John Mayalls Bluesbreakers and The Yardbirds really are responsible for the great British boom of blues guitarists and Amen Corner producing some great front men like Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger.

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
When I lived in Newcastle, late 80’s the football team were rubbish and had no money. Brian Johnson was constantly mentioned in the local press as a possible owner with money. Two workmates used to crack me up with their obsession with it, ‘That AC/DC lad, he’s a Geordie yer nar‘ was a bit of a catchphrase :D:D:D
I think I've seen articles mentioning him buying into the football club or it might have been an old mid 80's interview where he talked about setting up a music stuido/company to help kids in the north of England. He might have mentioned investing then. None of that happened as like most celebrities he moved due to tax reasons. Think he went to Hawaii then to Florida.

I know a lot of musicians or bands have great stories. He has a good one from Geordie falling over and being back in Newcastle working on cars to a few months later out in the Bahamas working on one of the biggest albums of all time. Really has gone from rags to riches.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Was Long John Baldry they started with, not Amen Corner.
Amen Corner had Andy Fairweather - Low as lead. He played session guitar for Eric Clapton Unplugged
John Mayalls Bluesbreakers and The Yardbirds really are responsible for the great British boom of blues guitarists
Keith Richard, who is much smarter than he sometimes sounds, and is genuinely respected by American blues musicians, once commented on the sad lives of American blacks that led to blues music. He said Uncle Adolph had a lot to do with the guitarists that came out of England in the 60s. Most of them were born during WWII.

E.g. The Stones, The Who, Moody Blues, Beatles, Hollies, Pink Floyd and CREAM.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Amen Corner had Andy Fairweather - Low as lead. He played session guitar for Eric Clapton Unplugged

Keith Richard, who is much smarter than he sometimes sounds, and is genuinely respected by American blues musicians, once commented on the sad lives of American blacks that led to blues music. He said Uncle Adolph had a lot to do with the guitarists that came out of England in the 60s. Most of them were born during WWII.

E.g. The Stones, The Who, Moody Blues, Beatles, Hollies, Pink Floyd and CREAM.
Great guitarist Andy Fairweather Low. Along with him was Doyle Bramhall ll in Claptons band. I saw Bramhall ll and another great session guitarist Snowy White play with Roger Waters at north harbour in early 2000s. Snowy white also played in Thin Lizzy at the tail end before Phil Lynott died.
All the British guys did a hell of a lot more than their American counterparts to pay back the bluesmen who made them what they are. Hendrix did but Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf made albums with the stones and cream members and had the blues greats open for them many times. Clapton really took BB King under his wing. Stevie Ray Vaughn was an American that gave back to Albert Collins(the master of the telecaster) among others. A good watch was Keith Richards touring with Chuck Berry. I think Richards finished the tour still respecting Berry but probably not liking him.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
More for the classic rock enthusiasts. Came across this little gem, a remake of a standard with a virtual best of British including 4 of the most seminal guitarists in rock history
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Brian May (Queen), and Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Does anyone else enjoy this sort of thing, does a lot of youtube covers of songs but generally gives them a bit of a Norwiegn Death Metal flavour. But you dont have to be a Metal head to enjoy them, imo. His talent is through the roof, as he does everything himself.

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings