Recruitment NZ Warriors Sign Issac Luke - Confirmed

Luke still on the bench at the Rabbits. Looks like Madge wasn't too happy with him leaving - after offering his premiership ring and all. I'm sure there's more to it, but don't tell me it's 0% to do with him coming here next year.

I can understand blooding McInnes with Luke gone next year, but it's only round 10 - I'm sure they're not willing to write off their season because of this...

Not happening at all, but fingers crossed for an early release... ;)

Hard to believe it isn't to do with him signing elsewhere. If he hasn't kept up the standards of the club it is a strange punishment as it's not bad enough to be dropped and it's been going on for a few weeks now.

Watching him when he comes on the field and how he is directing up the park its definitely not due to form. Watching the last few weeks when he takes a few steps out of dummy half getting the forwards to run to the desired spot; I can't wait until our forwards are marching up the field like that.

Reactions: Eva and Richie
It's an odd one.....
They didn't give Samny Birgess the treatment while he was there aye.....
So go figure.....maybe Isaacs late decision to reneg on their shitty little contract has somehow left them up in the air in terms of long term planning ( they are Souths after all and are used to twice the quality of player for very little cap space).

MInd you.....had they given Burgess a hard time they would have fallen out with the rest of the clan.

Maybe this is Russel "don't play for an NRL club outside AUS' Crowes doing

Fullah must be bitter on Eric over Luke anyway

Reactions: jonno
It's an odd one.....
They didn't give Samny Birgess the treatment while he was there aye.....
So go figure.....maybe Isaacs late decision to reneg on their shitty little contract has somehow left them up in the air in terms of long term planning ( they are Souths after all and are used to twice the quality of player for very little cap space).

MInd you.....had they given Burgess a hard time they would have fallen out with the rest of the clan.

Maybe this is Russel "don't play for an NRL club outside AUS' Crowes doing

Fullah must be bitter on Eric over Luke anyway

Eric 2 Russell 0

The more uncomfortable they make Luke for leaving the more glad he'll be to get here....

And the harder he'll go against Souths next year. If things deteriorate any further (or just don't improve), I can see it being a media topic in the 2016 War v Sth fixtures, which (considering Luke's status) could act to motivate the team in what is one of the hardest match-ups of the year. Anything that can pump the boys up for a tough game is fine with me. Cheers for the free ammo, Madge. Keep up the good work. :D

Reactions: Sup42 and jonno
South Sydney NRL hooker Issac Luke says slipping form was why he lost his starting spot and he wasn't being punished for signing with the New Zealand Warriors.

The New Zealand international has been listed to start for Saturday's match against the Gold Coast Titans.

In recent weeks he has been named on the bench behind youngster Cameron McInnes, though he did actually start against Parramatta last week after initially being listed as an interchange player.

The fact he was demoted soon after revealing he was moving on at the end of the season prompted speculation he might have been punished for leaving the Rabbitohs burrow.

"That's got nothing to do with it, I live by the standards at this club," Luke said on Wednesday.

"If you don't live by them ... I'm one to reinforce them as well.

"There's specific things in my game that I like to hold myself accountable to, standards that obviously I haven't been reaching, but it's up to me."

Luke didn't want to specify which areas of his game had dropped, but felt he had turned things around by ticking off "a lot of boxes" in the round before last against Melbourne.

He had plenty of praise for 21-year old highly regarded utility and 2014 Junior Kangaroos representative McIness, who recently signed a new deal with the Rabbitohs.

"He comes to training every day and he just wants to better himself and it's going to pay off," Luke said.

"Me and Cam are learning off each other every day as well as we feed off each other's energy.

"To be able to play with him and have a last year with him is going to be good.

"The game is starting to bring Cam's kind of player role into the game.

"He can play anywhere - give him a number he'll play it, he doesn't really care where he is, that's a utility role.

"I'm just happy to be out there with him.

"I think I've done enough mentoring. He's going to take over soon, so I'm going to relax and enjoy my time with him."

scottyb

Warriors tragic
Contributor
Luke really has grown up a lot in the last couple of year's. I'm glad we are getting him at the age he is as he is playing with a maturity that was'nt there when he was giving away penalties left right and centre because he was frustrated. When he run's onto the field in Warriors colour's in 2016 we will see a leader who is prepared to do what it takes but know's where the line is that gives away advantage to the opposition. I can see a very controlled general taking the reins to lead this team around the park. With the spine we will have next year other teams are gonna be nervous as hell trying to break down all our attacking weapons. I cant see anything but success (which is up to the individual as to what you measure success by) in the next 3 years. It's time for a premiership yeeehaaaaa

Reactions: Richie
The fact he was demoted soon after revealing he was moving on at the end of the season prompted speculation he might have been punished for leaving the Rabbitohs burrow.

"That's got nothing to do with it, I live by the standards at this club," Luke said on Wednesday.

Bummer that all appears fine between Luke and the Bunnies (no chance of a walkout, no fire & brimstone vs Rabbits in years to come), but great that Luke will be bringing this kind of accountable attitude with him when he comes to the Warriors.

"I think I've done enough mentoring. He's going to take over soon, so I'm going to relax and enjoy my time with him."

Clearly he means enough mentoring of McIness, not in general. He sounds like the best kind of mentor, one who can speak up and step back when it's time. Come on, Havili. Play so well over the next few weeks that you force Cappy to factor you into his plans. Then you might get to improve your trade along one of the best.

Reactions: Freddie Futler