General NZ Semi Pro Comp

kiwi's 13-6

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ague-want-semi-pro-league-as-well-as-warriors

A semi pro local comp has long been needed to keep talent in country or get some back from OZ/Europe/rugby union & earning a bit of coin from the sport in our country! my 2 cents would be have best Auckland clubs vs top provincial sides like Canterbury, Waikato & Wellington when it gets its act together! Awesome been waiting for some Mana to be returned to the local league scene in NZ!

Last edited by a moderator:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ague-want-semi-pro-league-as-well-as-warriors

A semi pro local comp has long been needed to keep talent in country or get some back from OZ/Europe/rugby union & earning a bit of coin from the sport in our country! my 2 cents would be have best Auckland clubs vs top provincial sides like Canterbury, Waikato & Wellington when it gets its act together! Awesome been waiting for some Mana to be returned to the local league scene in NZ!
Who is going to pay for it???

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Fair question. In the US the professional franchises for baseball have feeder leagues all over the country, for which they pay. They know to the dollar how much it costs to develop a major leaguer. It is just like a production line, if you skimp somewhere along the line you lose out.
It seems to me the NRL doesn't really know how much it costs to produce a first grader and so cannot have a system that produces them.
They did try the draft, and got knocked back by the Courts, and transfer fees have been long gone. However if the Warriors could benefit from a local comp they should pay something for it. Trouble is Cronulla and Melbourne will just raid it while the Warriors scouts sit on their hands.

kiwi's 13-6

Top half dozen Fox club sides are already semi pro. Canterbury have sponsorship & i believe already pay players a bit, just a matter of Waikato, BOP, Wellington getting funding in place from sponsorship, council funding, sports grant funding. SKY TV or Maori TV to Cover games, sponsorship needs to organised to pay for Refs, Travel, Player of day awards & Prize money for wining the comp...Boom semi pro like Will Ferrell & Andre 3000!

You never know one day NRL may stop strip mining NZ for playing talent & cash from TV rights and merchandise actually reinvest some money into the game in our country with a grant to help NZ rugby league outside of the Warriors like they do for all the state leagues in Australia...

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Fair question. In the US the professional franchises for baseball have feeder leagues all over the country, for which they pay. They know to the dollar how much it costs to develop a major leaguer. It is just like a production line, if you skimp somewhere along the line you lose out.
It seems to me the NRL doesn't really know how much it costs to produce a first grader and so cannot have a system that produces them.
They did try the draft, and got knocked back by the Courts, and transfer fees have been long gone. However if the Warriors could benefit from a local comp they should pay something for it. Trouble is Cronulla and Melbourne will just raid it while the Warriors scouts sit on their hands.
Agree with pretty much everything you've said except, although rare, transfer fees involving NRL clubs do still occasionally happen. ie. we paid Wigan what was a record transfer fee for Pomkins, the Panthers are currently wanting a transfer fee of $250K for Moylan, the Knights want a six figure sum to release Joe Wardle.

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...nsfer-fee-on-his-release-20170928-gyqjcn.html
https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...e-from-super-league-side-20170816-gxxpz1.html

And if you were meaning transfers at Auckland Club level, the ARL certainly allow for clubs to claim transfer fees.

https://www.sporty.co.nz/asset/downloadasset?id=4c45aea8-e9ea-4695-9d0e-a23ac396f545

With the exception of the Warriors, although it's not a huge amount, NRL teams do have to pay transfer fees to clubs for players they contract in NZ. The NZRL tried, unsuccessfully, to get the transfer fees raised in 2014. Personally, I don't like the Warriors stance - they should play the lower clubs the same fee (if not more) that the other NRL clubs pay to help ensure they get the first pick of the players.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10287979/NZRL-in-bid-to-raise-transfer-fees-for-young

There were issues 2007 when some clubs claimed the old Auckland Lions (playing in the NSWRL) were selecting players from the other Auckland clubs in order to strengthen the Mt Albert's premiership chances and they wanted to be compensated for the players they lost. The following year, 2008, saw the Auckland Lions rebranded as the Auckland Vulcans and the association with the Mt Albert club finished.

Last edited:

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Also, I don't think transfer fees should be set to high at an Auckland club level as they don't help with the distribution of players within the competitions - where it's already slanted in favour of some of the richer clubs. It works in the favour of a less cashed up club if they were to lose one of their better players but also restricts their ability to attract more high profile signings if they can't afford the transfer fee. Losing your good players and not able to sign top players creates a downwards spiral.

Reactions: mt.wellington

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Also, I don't think transfer fees should be set to high at an Auckland club level as they don't help with the distribution of players within the competitions - where it's already slanted in favour of some of the richer clubs. It works in the favour of a less cashed up club if they were to lose one of their better players but also restricts their ability to attract more high profile signings if they can't afford the transfer fee. Losing your good players and not able to sign top players creates a downwards spiral.
My example of the MBL system was from reading an indepth article on it decades ago. It is true trickle down, right to the lowest paid player. I don't know how it could apply in the NRL. I do know the ARL have been aware for years of how many Aucklanders are going across the Tasman. Last count was 500. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get 500 back?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Transfer fee was bought in because the money teams were strip mining the poorer clubs anyway. The poorer clubs don't sign players. Even with transfer fees they can't afford it. That money is used to keep the power on at the club. They mostly rely on developing their juniors or having older veterans come back to help out after playing elsewhere (money teams in the Fox, NRL or ESL).

The player drain from some clubs was ridiculous. Can't blame the players who are good enough though. Given an option would you train and play for free or take $400 tax free a week? The occasional gas voucher and player of the day bar tab or some $7000 a season?

If you want a fairer system I reckon the transfer fee should be increased. A lot...

Reactions: Miket12

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Transfer fee was bought in because the money teams were strip mining the poorer clubs anyway. The poorer clubs don't sign players. Even with transfer fees they can't afford it. That money is used to keep the power on at the club. They mostly rely on developing their juniors or having older veterans come back to help out after playing elsewhere (money teams in the Fox, NRL or ESL).

The player drain from some clubs was ridiculous. Can't blame the players who are good enough though. Given an option would you train and play for free or take $400 tax free a week? The occasional gas voucher and player of the day bar tab or some $7000 a season?

If you want a fairer system I reckon the transfer fee should be increased. A lot...
Club volunteers have always worked hard to develop talent. Yet not only do they not get paid, their club doesn't benefit like it used to in the old days when those players went on to represent the club. This cannot go on and isn't just killing league it is hurting union as well. It isn't just an Auckland problem ether.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Club volunteers have always worked hard to develop talent. Yet not only do they not get paid, their club doesn't benefit like it used to in the old days when those players went on to represent the club. This cannot go on and isn't just killing league it is hurting union as well. It isn't just an Auckland problem ether.
I always wonder where the next generation of club volunteers will come from? The old club stalwarts whose untiring efforts keeps clubs alive. Vast majority are former players of the club but with most players playing for money these days where will the loyal clubmen life members come from?

One interesting test for player loyalty will be how many players hang around at Pt Chev with their main sponsor pulling the pin on them. Dont think they was a player in their top side that hadn't spent time in the Warriors system...

kiwi's 13-6

the next generation of volunteers will click like buttons online if there anxiety levels are not to high sad but true lol!

Upcoming Match

Penrith Panthers Campbelltown Stadium

Last Game

30 May

18 - 00
7.1 Total Avg Rating
7.3 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 5.7
    Peta Hiku