General NZ local league benefitting from WC win?

Viking_old

League participation in NZ looks like it'll really pick up this year. I haven't seen a pre-season buzz before like I'm seeing this year, we've got more players registering than ever at my local club and it's still 6 weeks from season start, 8 for the juniors.

At the kids 2 kiwis day we had 4 junior teams, roughly 50 kids, on show playing tag and modified contact. That's good in itself but even more suprising is that they were 90% Caucasian players, anyone who knows Bay Roskill and Mt Roskill in general, knows thats not the norm. I actually asked our club president if we'd lent out our jerseys to kids from Howick!

The Warriors and U20s successes can take some of the credit but the WC win must surely have raised the sports profile locally. I might just have my rose coloured glasses on but my benchmark is Manurewa who fielded 45 teams last year. If they have 50 this year I'll know it's not an anomaly.

Is anyone involved with local league and noticing a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Great news, Viking. No idea on your last question, but I'll ask Len Reid, the local league man. (Growth here, if any, would be a minor miracle in itself, I think!)

2big2strong_old

This is great stuff.

I was looking through the u20's squad for this year on photosport and couldn't help but notice the massive boost in numbers of Caucasian players with us this year. Last year I honestly can't remember any kids that I'd class as Caucasian. Not that having an all brown team is bad, we did pretty good with one of those last year but I believe the sustainability of Rugby League in NZ depends on a more even playing field, both in the juniours and in the seniors, Rugby League has become a stereotype in NZ, with the perception it's only played by 'Maori's and Islanders'.

By the way, is this Sam Baxter character a relation of the Tauranga brothers Rowan (who was in our Warriors squad a couple years ago) and Charles? (former NZ 7's player)

awww.photosport.co.nz_image_dir_album47980_150th_sm_313756.jpg

Both of those players would've been good league players but Rowan came to us too late in his career. I hope this Sam is a little brother, he's starting out the right time.

playdaball_old

This is great stuff.

I was looking through the u20's squad for this year on photosport and couldn't help but notice the massive boost in numbers of Caucasian players with us this year. Last year I honestly can't remember any kids that I'd class as Caucasian. Not that having an all brown team is bad, we did pretty good with one of those last year but I believe the sustainability of Rugby League in NZ depends on a more even playing field, both in the juniours and in the seniors, Rugby League has become a stereotype in NZ, with the perception it's only played by 'Maori's and Islanders'.

By the way, is this Sam Baxter character a relation of the Tauranga brothers Rowan (who was in our Warriors squad a couple years ago) and Charles? (former NZ 7's player)

150th_sm_313756.jpg

Both of those players would've been good league players but Rowan came to us too late in his career. I hope this Sam is a little brother, he's starting out the right time.

I'm all for more Europeans playing RL again. Some of the best Kiwi teams we had consisted of a racial mix of PI, Maori and Europeans.

Graham, Prohm, Broadhurst, Varley, Smith, Crackers, Fisher, Rushton, Freeman, Todd, Stokes ... there have bene some great European players over the years.

Who'll be the next one ???????

Sam Baxter is a Howick boy - Go Howick Hornets!!! His father Mark was a club stalwart and a pretty good mechanic I believe. It is not Rowan's little brother.

Attachments

• awww.photosport.co.nz_image_dir_album47980_150th_sm_313756.jpg
    awww.photosport.co.nz_image_dir_album47980_150th_sm_313756.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I'm all for more Europeans playing RL again. Some of the best Kiwi teams we had consisted of a racial mix of PI, Maori and Europeans.

Graham, Prohm, Broadhurst, Varley, Smith, Crackers, Fisher, Rushton, Freeman, Todd, Stokes ... there have bene some great European players over the years.

Who'll be the next one ???????

Sam Baxter is a Howick boy - Go Howick Hornets!!! His father Mark was a club stalwart and a pretty good mechanic I believe. It is not Rowan's little brother.

Oh, and I was just about to give him double my normal level of support for being from Tauranga! :D

Viking_old

I started this thread early last year and thought it was worth updating with good news. I estimate there's been at least a 10% increase in Auckland rugby league playing numbers from last year to this year.

Using the 'Marlin Scale' (Manurewa has the most teams of any club in Auckland and most likely NZ), it would be a 20% increase since the World Cup win in 08 as they've gone from fielding 45 teams in 2008 to 54 teams this year. That's an approximate increase of over 150 new players to that club alone. That pattern is the same across virtually all clubs, the vast majority being in the junior ranks with the exception of the senior A's which now boasts 39 teams and has had to be split into 4 sections.

Goes to show that the fortunes of NZ league are not as strongly tied to the Warriors performance as it has been in the past.

Northern_Union

I think i read som where that player numbers are up in all provinces. Is that correct?