Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Theres an interview of Cappy Mc Fadden just put up on newstalk ZB goes through the signing of Capewell etc only real takeaway was there will be no more signings for 2024 im thinking he means no external signings so no extra prop for 2024
Think this is our team for 2024, wouldn’t be surprised to see signings for 2025 once AFB establishes where he’s going though. In order to be comfortable letting him go, we’re going to need to be comfortable with the replacements.

Is Taine Tuaupiki a candidate for the wing?

Ali could be used on the wing, good with high ball and good pace, so that's 3 centres, 2 wings and 2 utilities (Monty + Ali)

I knew Ford wouldn't bail. Didn't know he is 187cm, with his pace and Capewell on the other edge, I reckon Ford could be the line breaker attacking weapon if Metcalf continues to work on his game or TMM doing his thing, or SJ coming over to the left more. If he works on what to do once he breaks the line or add an offload game, and cut out his errors/penalities from this first season, he could be a real gun. He made a lot of line breaks before Metcalf played lol

Saw someone say they reckon he wants to return home before, you reckon he could return and they transition him to prop? Trying to remember, did he used to pack a sad when SK played him in the middle?
I could be wrong but my memory at the time was that he claimed to prefer the middle.

Also far as 2024 recruitment being over, most top four teams have to lose gun players. We have kept all our guns and added RTS and Capewell. I feel like that’s a great offseason so I’m ok with no more signings.

Don't remember if it was him upset about him playing at prop, or fans

He is also 6ft though, so him in the middle doesn’t solve us needing just a big prop, with top end potential. Better shot would be if Ford were to move into the middle, but that won’t/shouldn’t happen.

Don't remember if it was him upset about him playing at prop, or fans

He is also 6ft though, so him in the middle doesn’t solve us needing just a big prop, with top end potential. Better shot would be if Ford were to move into the middle, but that won’t/shouldn’t happen.
I’ve ain’t 6ft. Legit 5’10 on a good day

The experience in the pack has so much importance. Not just their playing. Having good young juniors coming through and transitioning into FG will be so much better having those experienced guys mentoring them. Webby can ease them in. Personally I like the idea of Tohu in the middles rotation with a back row of Capewell, Ford and Barnett and a bench of CHT, Walker, Niukore and Zyon Maiu’u.

“Definitely no bad blood. I love the club and have had a great time since I’ve been here. I still love everyone here as well. Luckily I’ve got the opportunity to go to the Warriors for the next three years. It was an opportunity too good to pass up. I’m just grateful for the time I’ve spent here and for the Warriors and the offer they’ve made me.”

“I’m very proud of the Broncos rise and they’ve got a lot left in the tank too. They’re going to be a powerhouse for the next few years. The Warriors are a powerhouse also with the team they’re putting together. I definitely think we’ll be giving the competition a shake next year. Webster is a massive reason I’m going there. He’s a great bloke and I really get on with him, on a personal level as well. It’s tough to be leaving but exciting as well.”

I could be wrong but my memory at the time was that he claimed to prefer the middle.

Also far as 2024 recruitment being over, most top four teams have to lose gun players. We have kept all our guns and added RTS and Capewell. I feel like that’s a great offseason so I’m ok with no more signings.

I agree

At some point you have to pull the trigger and go all in on what you got.

It might still be too early to say but I'm not far from considering Webby to be the most important signing in the clubs history.

The club has never been so settled. Not even our most important player in the team throwing an immediate release request could knock them off course.

Everything is handled so professionally and that's never happened before.

Credit is due to other management aswell but I just get a sense Webby is the glue for all of it.

The KC signing is a good one. But it depends on a few variables falling into place to see how effective it will be next year. Our pack kinda looks like this:
AFB
Egan
Barnett/Marata/Bunty/....
Ford
Capewell/Marata/Barnett
Harris

Ale
Walker
..../Jazz?

If done right that could be one of the best packs in the comp. Add a couple of young fellas coming up, the potential is amazing.

Do we turn MB and/or MN into full blown props, both of whom are more than capable. Or do we run a rotation of our bigger 2nds playing prop.....

Fricken interesting to see how Webby plays it out.

Whatever happens I am so looking forward to next year.

We played our final in Brisbane and it was obvious we were done even prior to kickoff.....do our new recruits, RTS, CHT, Capewell and the young lads give us the depth to go one further?

Bring it on and good luck boys.

Still a bit worried about the balance of the squad if AFB goes down injured, hoping there's one more front row signing still to come. If not oh well, just have to pray for Addin nek year.
Don’t worry

Jazz, Barnett, Bunty,Tohu,Tom Ale..

All Props…

On second thoughts - we’re fucked in the front mate

We need a big decent bopper or we got no go-forward or post contact meters!!!

The prop we need.

188cm and 106kg.
Got good leg speed.
An aggressive ball runner and aggressive defender.
can play 50 - 60 solid minutes per game

Time to convert Marata to prop now i reckon.
And he offers utility value which is so important in the HIA years.
Marata could be a great prop. What he needs to work on is staying un-suspended. If we had Marata and Mitch Barnett as our props we would probably have them in league jail for most of the season. I'd probably put Tohu in prop rotation

Theres an interview of Cappy Mc Fadden just put up on newstalk ZB goes through the signing of Capewell etc only real takeaway was there will be no more signings for 2024 im thinking he means no external signings so no extra prop for 2024
According to the NRL website, we've got 29 players signed for 2024 now - most clubs leave that 30th spot in the bag "just in case" a mid-year buy becomes available (for us, that would likely be injury cover or a quality prop wanting to leave their current club), but we could also upgrade a player like Going or Tu.

Also good to see that our squad is all but locked in for two seasons with the only ones unsigned being AFB (we assume gone), SJ (TBC how this season goes), Lussick (may be playing out his contract and not get much of a run depending on several factors, such as how Egan goes, CHT's role and Fukofuka's development), Metcalf (playing for a contract, here or elsewhere) and Jazz (fan fav, including mine, but probably also playing for a contract early on in the season).

To have 25 players locked in for the next two seasons, off the the back of a relatively settled squad post 2023, is pretty exciting. The biggest questions for the two years are:
- whether our halves can go to another level - can SJ repeat 2023 form, who is his successor, and how do Volkman and Metcalf kick on; and
- our front row - does the "smaller" middle work, and what does life look like after AFB.

Good signing, good experience & has been in plenty of grand finals. Not a instant boner signing for me. Tbh, Not that excited by it. But fuck it. We asked for a signing and got one.
His defence was mud last year. And he was running like he had gum boots on. Hope webby sorts all that shit out, And we get a Panthers version of Kurt.

Nau mai haere mai Mr Capewell

Haven't read the past 50 pages, so maybe already mentioned.

But did someone hear whispers awhile ago not long after the the announced AFB would stay on in '24. That he went straight back to trying to make deals for this year and the club were right off him about it?

Back