Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
The Wests Tigers are the first club in the four-way race for Addin Fonua-Blake’s signature to make a formal offer to the New Zealand Warriors forward.

It’s believed the Tigers have tabled a four year deal from 2025 worth around $1 million per season.

Other clubs in the hunt for Fonua-Blake’s services included Canterbury, St George Illawarra and Cronulla, are all expected to put their offers to the star prop over the next seven to 10 days.

The Tigers are also preparing to splash some serious cash to secure three-time Penrith premiership winner Jarome Luai. The Concord club is reportedly prepared to offer the star five-eighth around $4.5 million for a four-year deal from 2025.

It comes as Dragons coach Shane Flanagan upped the ante on the Red V’s chances of nabbing Fonua-Blake, who has emerged as one of the NRL’s premier forwards.

“We’re hopeful, I’d like to think we’re a good chance,” Flanagan told this masthead on Wednesday.

“He’s going through the process of meeting clubs, and I appreciate that.”

Fonua-Blake will return to Sydney over Christmas break where he is expected to tour the facilities of all four clubs vying for his signature.

Like Flanagan, Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo at Canterbury, are in the midst of a roster overhaul and are in desperate need of added power, mongrel and class in the forward pack. Fonua-Blake fits the bill for both clubs.

Fonua-Blake has three years left on his Warriors deal but will return to Sydney at the end of 2024 after the club granted him a release on compassionate grounds.

A request for an immediate release was rejected by the Warriors, but Fonua-Blake has since reaffirmed his commitment to the club for next season.

To cope with AFB's potential release at any time coming can we just stick with our props that we have in stock and say that we really believe in them and don't NEED a marquee replacement. Remember how drooly we would be if we got JFH? And this is some years after I heard him say we didn't want him because we said he was too small. Now he's alpha version and we'd roll out a red carpet for him. But what if we develop and succeed? Might be cheaper and good things take time..........

Like winning a premiership I know.

1701926690984.png

Wonder if he will end up like JT?

The Wests Tigers are the first club in the four-way race for Addin Fonua-Blake’s signature to make a formal offer to the New Zealand Warriors forward.

It’s believed the Tigers have tabled a four year deal from 2025 worth around $1 million per season.

Other clubs in the hunt for Fonua-Blake’s services included Canterbury, St George Illawarra and Cronulla, are all expected to put their offers to the star prop over the next seven to 10 days.

The Tigers are also preparing to splash some serious cash to secure three-time Penrith premiership winner Jarome Luai. The Concord club is reportedly prepared to offer the star five-eighth around $4.5 million for a four-year deal from 2025.

It comes as Dragons coach Shane Flanagan upped the ante on the Red V’s chances of nabbing Fonua-Blake, who has emerged as one of the NRL’s premier forwards.

“We’re hopeful, I’d like to think we’re a good chance,” Flanagan told this masthead on Wednesday.

Fonua-Blake will return to Sydney over Christmas break where he is expected to tour the facilities of all four clubs vying for his signature.

Like Flanagan, Phil Gould and Cameron Ciraldo at Canterbury, are in the midst of a roster overhaul and are in desperate need of added power, mongrel and class in the forward pack. Fonua-Blake fits the bill for both clubs.

Fonua-Blake has three years left on his Warriors deal but will return to Sydney at the end of 2024 after the club granted him a release on compassionate grounds.

A request for an immediate release was rejected by the Warriors, but Fonua-Blake has since reaffirmed his commitment to the club for next season.

Damn, everything is happening right now

I hope he goes to the Tigers out of all the options, feel bad for them at this point and wanna see Benji do well too.

In terms of a swap though, Utoikamanu seems totally off the table (but I really feel like we would be a shot if Webby had the chance to convince him) which leaves it down to Ice, and I just don’t know about that now that we have extended Ford.

Both our backrowers in Ford and now Capewell can both play 80 minutes, really hoping to see front rowers from now.

I think we all wanted a front rower like 3 second rowers ago haha

I was interested in Ice when Ford was off contract for next year, but yeah, no thanks now

Maybe Fonua Pole could be worth a look- he definitely fits with all our upcoming middles being 183cm or less. Damn, beat me to it lol

To cope with AFB's potential release at any time coming can we just stick with our props that we have in stock and say that we really believe in them and don't NEED a marquee replacement. Remember how drooly we would be if we got JFH? And this is some years after I heard him say we didn't want him because we said he was too small. Now he's alpha version and we'd roll out a red carpet for him. But what if we develop and succeed? Might be cheaper and good things take time..........

Our props after AFB are Bunty, a rookie and a few non props. It's just not an option unfortunately. It's not even like we have a whole bunch of young props coming through we can muck about with.

At the absolute minimum we just need a big body who's done enough time in the NRL to put in a high workload but lacks any x factor. Our current stocks are absolutely dire even with the AFB news didn't happen.

Get us a prop and my god this would be an amazing 2 years of recruitment.

I like your positive attitude...but I want a premiership now please lol My greatest wish now is for AFB to stay one more year and I reckon we can lock it in.

The prop we need.

188cm and 106kg.
Got good leg speed.
An aggressive ball runner and aggressive defender.
can play 50 - 60 solid minutes per game

Time to convert Marata to prop now i reckon.
And he offers utility value which is so important in the HIA years.

I would probably then prefer giving Zyon Maiu’u a bench prop role over Bunty too

Interesting in that tohu Harris interview when he said Webby has given the leaders in the team specific players they want them to work with this season.
He’s obviously got capewell lined up to take our young edge forwards under his wing.
Really like this approach given the talent we have coming through the ranks. and suits the signing of Capewell and Harris extention.

Guys like Tohu, RTS and capewell are so professional in their approach and have so much to offer guys like Leiataua, Halasima and Sifikula,
Hopefully can help them develop their game and build a professional work ethic so they can turn all that potential into long successful careers.

Saw someone say they reckon he wants to return home before, you reckon he could return and they transition him to prop? Trying to remember, did he used to pack a sad when SK played him in the middle?

Don't remember if it was him upset about him playing at prop, or fans

He is also 6ft though, so him in the middle doesn’t solve us needing just a big prop, with top end potential. Better shot would be if Ford were to move into the middle, but that won’t/shouldn’t happen.

NRL 2024 market watch: Wests Tigers lodge formal offer to Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake | Daily Telegraph​

Other clubs in the hunt for the services of Fonua-Blake, who is looked after by Sportsplayer Management, include Canterbury, St George Illawarra and Cronulla are expected to put their offers to the star prop over the next seven to 10 days.

Addin Fonua-Blake is a man in demand. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Addin Fonua-Blake is a man in demand. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

FOUR NRL STARS WHO COULD BE AFB FODDER

- Paul Crawley

Wests Tigers star Isaiah Papali’i is at risk of becoming collateral damage as the hunt for Sydney-bound Warriors wrecking ball Addin Fonua-Blake gets serious.

It is understood the Warriors will be seeking a top-line player as part of a potential trade deal in return for granting Fonua-Blake an early release so he can join a new NRL club in 2025.

The game has been awash with rumours in recent days that the names heading the Warriors’ hit list include Papali’i and Tigers teammate Stefano Utoikamanu, along with Canterbury’s Viliame Kikau and St George Illawarra’s Jaydn Su’A.

Of those players, former Warrior Papali’i seems to be the one getting the most attention, which is probably due to the fact he appears the most likely player on this list that both parties would agree on.

There is next to no chance the Bulldogs would even contemplate letting Kikau go, while the Tigers would be crazy to surrender Utoikamanu at this point of his career.

Utoikamanu, 23, and his partner are also expecting their second baby, and sources have indicated that they have absolutely no desire to leave Sydney.

Addin Fonua-Blake is likely to spark a player-trade shootout as negotiations with desperate Sydney clubs get serious. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

Addin Fonua-Blake is likely to spark a player-trade shootout as negotiations with desperate Sydney clubs get serious. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images
Su’A could be a good fit but it would also depend on his desire to move to New Zealand.

Papali’i has also indicated he wants to stay living in Sydney where he has set up a happy off-field life with his partner, Elle Temu, who is a New Zealand netballer who moved to Australia to be with Papali’i.

While Papali’i has been told by the Tigers that the club is not shopping him around, everyone involved also understands how quickly it can all change when deals are being negotiated behind closed doors.

Of course it all depends on where Fonua-Blake ends up signing.

But regardless, the club that wins the race for his signature is going to have to come up with an exchange that will not only keep the Warriors happy, but also the salary cap auditor given Fonua-Blake is talking $1.2 million-a-season.

Stefano Utoikamanu has no desire to leave Sydney and upset his family life.

Stefano Utoikamanu has no desire to leave Sydney and upset his family life.
That figure would not be far-fetched given Fonua-Blake is one of the game’s top-five props who featured on this masthead’s exclusive Rich 100 list at No.9 on $1.05 million this season, and his stocks would have only gone up on the back of the Warriors’ shock top-four finish.

The only three clubs who appear to have the salary cap space to sign him would be the Tigers, Bulldogs and Dragons, although the Sharks have come into the conversation in recent days since releasing Connor Tracey.

The other issue for the Tigers and Bulldogs is that they are also in the fight for off-contract Panther Jarome Luai, who is seeking upwards of $1.1m-a-season.

Addin Fonua-Blake’s form in 2023 established him as one of the NRL’s top five props. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Addin Fonua-Blake’s form in 2023 established him as one of the NRL’s top five props. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Papali’i did an interview recently where he came out in strong support of Benji Marshall, and said he was committed to the Tigers for the long term.

He also believes living in Australia has benefited his football.

He initially debuted for the Warriors in 2017 under Stephen Kearney as an 18 year-old.

But it wasn’t until he moved to the Eels that his career came to life.

While he did not initially want to leave Parramatta, the reported $640,000-a-season offer from the Tigers was just too much above what the Eels were initially prepared to spend to keep him.

The irony is the Eels probably could have kept Papali’i had their final offer been made earlier in the negotiations.

As it turned out, that monster pay upgrade is also the reason Papali’i is now seen as a potential trade option given the salary cap space it could free up to sign Fonua-Blake.