Recruitment NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2023-2024

Toookey

Toookey

It’s crazy to think that we have maxed out our cap. Even taking lodges $500k into account (panthers were paying stains $600k to pay Reggie’s this year) Look at our roster compared to the top teams. You’d think their cap was double ours. We don’t even have a $1m player

Hard out. I do think there was a bit of a 'perfect storm' for the Panthers, essentially having around 10 really top rookies coming through at the same time.

Clearly, Luai, Kikau, Burton, Crichton, Martin, Edwards, To'o, Tago, May, even JFH all coming through in a 2-4 year period. All rep quality. It's fairly unheard of right? I think we'll see them come back to the pack a little this year, and probably next year too with a few more than likely going for big money elsewhere

Edit: Do we have our own little storm brewing? While not in the same mould, we have a few good rookies coming through in Volkman, Metcalf, Vailea, Ale, Berry, Curran, the Kepu twins that could really drive our squad in the next 2-5 years. Throw in Addin Fonua-Blake and a few old heads in TMM, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Egan and we could have a pretty exciting next few years

Cces

Cces

It’s crazy to think that we have maxed out our cap. Even taking lodges $500k into account (panthers were paying stains $600k to pay Reggie’s this year)
Yeah it's definitely crazy to think the Panthers gave a 20 year old Staines a 600k, 3 years contract on the back of a 2 game rookie season (albeit grabbing 6 tries). Goes to show that even the best clubs make rash decisions when contracting

JaggedJ

Hard out. I do think there was a bit of a 'perfect storm' for the Panthers, essentially having around 10 really top rookies coming through at the same time.

Clearly, Luai, Kikau, Burton, Crichton, Martin, Edwards, To'o, Tago, May, even JFH all coming through in a 2-4 year period. All rep quality. It's fairly unheard of right? I think we'll see them come back to the pack a little this year, and probably next year too with a few more than likely going for big money elsewhere

Edit: Do we have our own little storm brewing? While not in the same mould, we have a few good rookies coming through in Volkman, Metcalf, Vailea, Ale, Berry, Curran, the Kepu twins that could really drive our squad in the next 2-5 years. Throw in Addin Fonua-Blake and a few old heads in TMM, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Egan and we could have a pretty exciting next few years

If by storm you mean a drizzle that will make people question why they bothered taking the umbrella out the car then yes - big ol storm incoming.

Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor
We haven't developed enough players so we've had to pay top dollar to recruit. AFBs contract was extended and possibly increased, I assume to get him here. We have a ton of second rowers and locks probably taking up too much cash. I'm not sure why we extended Jazzs contract when they seemed to want him at his best more.
We've turned over too many coaches and recruiters. We need stability. McFadden prefers effort signings over the bright shineys POS liked. Webster wants attitude and ethic as well so hopefully they will be on the same page.

Noitall

Noitall

Yep plus the Fox and Kikau be on very good money too.
TPJ on $925k and Luke Thompson on about $800k too. I think they go for the player they want and worry about offloading players after the fact and the nrl okays it once they are compliant. If this is their ploy, the nrl is stopping them breaching salary cap rules. Pretty sure Kikau and Mahoney weren’t recognised as going to the bulldogs until the end of the season when they became compliant?

Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor
TPJ on $925k and Luke Thompson on about $800k too. I think they go for the player they want and worry about offloading players after the fact and the nrl okays it once they are compliant. If this is their ploy, the nrl is stopping them breaching salary cap rules. Pretty sure Kikau and Mahoney weren’t recognised as going to the bulldogs until the end of the season when they became compliant?
And they did the Adam Blair retirement with Josh Jackson

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
I am looking forward to the reaction on this web site if once the collective agreement is signed off the warriors swoop in and announce a 2023 top 30 signing of a fringe second rower who has averaged 8 games per season in the last two years.
Who?
Not another second rower ??????