Rumour NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2021-2022

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
This article goes over the Elijah Taylor case in more detail.

A lot of players complain about managers that lose them money on deals that don't come off. This goes far beyond that. The guy had access to his accounts and was using it to fun holidays, pay for motorcycles. The part about leaving his dying father so they can meet with Ivan Cleary was tough reading. Warriors staff telling him to miss the game, manager insist he go so he can take a meeting as well. Cleary likely would of told him to delay it.

I can accept Elijah was pretty busy but the wife doesn’t check the accounts? This happened over 4 years and involved $400,000 while they were trying to save for a house - someone was asleep at the wheel. Having said that obviously the guy was manipulative and got himself into a position of absolute trust. Sad story.

Also wonder if this affected his whole career. Had all this was all going on in the background and it probably cost him a couple of big future contracts as his form dropped off in 2018, when he should have been in his prime. He’s only 30 now and has no contract next year...

Last edited:

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I can accept Elijah was pretty busy but the wife doesn’t check the accounts? This happened over 4 years and involved $400,000 while they were trying to save for a house - someone was asleep at the wheel. Having said that obviously the guy was manipulative and got himself into a position of absolute trust. Sad story.

Also wonder if this affected his whole career. Had all this was all going on in the background and it probably cost him a couple of big future contracts as his form dropped off in 2018, when he should have been in his prime. He’s only 30 now and has no contract next year...
You are assuming the money was in their account, the Manager possibly was controlling the account.

A lesson to be learnt from Union. Only accredited Managers can deal with the NZRU. Seems a logical way to go.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
You are assuming the money was in their account, the Manager possibly was controlling the account.

A lesson to be learnt from Union. Only accredited Managers can deal with the NZRU. Seems a logical way to go.
The NRL has the same rules that agents have to be accredited and registered with the NRL. It didn't help in this case as the guy got registered as an agent.

The manager had access to all of his accounts under the guise he could use it for any expenses he was making while working on his behalf. I'd assume the expenses are usually charged back or taken out of their cut. Likely the former as it would be like the music business where the artist or in this case the player pays for everything while the agency takes their cut.

Some of that was tough reading. He earned $19k playing for the Kiwis and instead of putting it into a term deposit he takes $14k for himself. I wouldn't be surprised if the stealing started off with smaller amounts before getting larger and larger before Taylor started wandering why he couldn't afford things.

Murraytd

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 5, 2014
Brisbane
For those that are interested
That is heart breaking to read! What a f$%king grub his manger was. Wow. Feel incredibly sorry for Elijah and Poko, I hope he is able to claw back some of the stolen funds via the sale of the "grubs" house (No doubt the title is registered in his wife's name solely!!).

Last edited:

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
That is heart breaking to read! What a f$%king grub his manger was. Wow. Feel incredibly sorry for Elijah and Poko, I hope he is able to claw back some of the stolen funds via the sale of the "grubs" house (No doubt the title is registered in his wife's name solely!!).
Looks like the house is in a trust.
Are trust properties untouchable in these instances?
They should change the law if that's the case.

Last edited:

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
I'm assuming Taylor can't touch the house in the manager's trust
A trust is a different legal entity to an individual and therefore the house is protected. I assume he put the house into the trust to safeguard an asset in case his fraudulent activities were discovered

Reactions: Murraytd and Rizzah

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
I'm sure Taylor has taken legal advice on this. Trusts are not as rock solid as they once were and can be challenged. To the best of my knowledge, the things that could be looked at are the length of time assets have been in the Trust, the purpose of the Trust, Trustees.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
I'm sure Taylor has taken legal advice on this. Trusts are not as rock solid as they once were and can be challenged. To the best of my knowledge, the things that could be looked at are the length of time assets have been in the Trust, the purpose of the Trust, Trustees.
Would you not have imagined that if it was possible to challenge the Trust issue this would have been done in this trial!

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Probably not. He has the judgement against Miles, now the strength of the Trust could be tested. Two separate issues.
It would have been cheaper (less legal fees etc.) to incorporate the challenge against the Trust in the one case

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
It would have been cheaper (less legal fees etc.) to incorporate the challenge against the Trust in the one case
How can you do that when you don't know the outcome of your case? If only the law worked that way. Courts are designed to adjudicate on law after hearing the evidence presented. I have dealt with many lawyers regarding commercial matters and I have yet to find one interested in less fees. This case has not been bought by the Police, it is a commercial matter, which may result in criminal charges, who knows. Elijah has a judgement in his favour now. It is up to him, I guess after taking his lawyers advice as to whether it is viable to attack Mile's assets owned by the trust.
I have two trusts, one for over twenty years , the other about half that time. I have a corporate trustee with myself as trustees on both. Trusts are not as bullet prove as they once were and onerous reporting and disclosure is about to be introduced that will make them less relevant and attractive for asset protection.

Last Game

19 Jun

06 - 10
4.4 Total Avg Rating
5.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 16 ratings