Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
50 years ago NZ was world leading and statistically the economy was better than Australia.

Then Britain ditched us, we ramped up immigration without matching economic growth; globalisation exposed us, etc

We stagnated and our politics reflected our laid back attitude. We prioritised clean and green before productivity. This current govt has proposed good things to grow us and the media and even posters on here shows that to many NZers are happy being mediocre.
Bro maybe you need to look at a calendar again. 50 years ago was 1974, NZ economy was in the doldrums and about to enter a recession in 1976.

We will never eliminate poverty by making increasing numbers dependent on the state.

Prove me wrong!
Most modern “capitalists” are entirely dependent on the state. NZ’s entire landlord class is dependent on the state. Childcare business? State dependent. Any business that operates as an intermediary between the government and its citizens Is entirely dependent on the state to exist.

Childcare business?
That’s was my wife’s business, although I helped behind the scenes.

My business interests include the trades, tourism, recruitment and property development - all successful in the private sector where govt just gets in the way 👍

Most modern “capitalists” are entirely dependent on the state. NZ’s entire landlord class is dependent on the state. Childcare business? State dependent. Any business that operates as an intermediary between the government and its citizens Is entirely dependent on the state to exist.
Include Fletchers, roading construction companies, the multiple power companies, the two step supermarket duopoly and insurance companies that are subsidised by the 300k EQC levy…

some people SHOULD be in prison longer though.

some of you guys talk like it was just bad luck some of these guys find themselves in jail.

starting sentence of 15 years reduced to likely 4 years 2 months.

talk about spitting in the face of the victims.

imagine getting your sentence reduced because you were a methhead white supremacist who grew up in a white supremacist house?
ha! unlikely.
nevermind the fact that you were caught red handed but pled guilty so you get a QUARTER of your sentence knocked off???

give me a fucking break.

also i’m well aware far too many people are imprisoned unfairly, but you cannot honestly say that dude deserves to have 73% of his sentence wiped for ANY reason.

There is the fact that his Father took him off his mental health treatment.

That should be weighted in the sentencing of anyone with a mental health diagnosis, especially a young offender.

Also pleading guilty is seen as a positive regarding sentencing.

Am I bleeding in my heart over this story for the offender? no because the cynic in me knows from working with children of gangs that most are fkd all they know is gang.

Include Fletchers, roading construction companies, the multiple power companies, the two step supermarket duopoly and insurance companies that are subsidised by the 300k EQC levy…
I’d exclude power being a utility (exceptional category) and supermarkets. Selling food direct to consumers is a true capitalist activity, it’s just been corrupted.

Would those who own security companies be also modern "capitalists" dependent on the state?

Would those who own security companies be also modern "capitalists" dependent on the state?
Nah security is still a service provider separate of a central government. Ie mercenaries, private armies, assassins can all operate in a free market.

Childcare on the other hand requires massive state intervention to become viable.

This current govt has proposed good things to grow.
Haven't really heard anything in this regard other than motherhood statements,. I need to see the detail and some kind of long term plan.
They are the nothing govt so far, all they do is moan about the finances and cancel things without a plan to fill the gap.
Did actually hear some good ideas from bishop on housing, but again motherhood and no detail on how is going to be achieved.
We can all put aspirational shit out there but you get elected to have a plan and deliver it.

Nah security is still a service provider separate of a central government. Ie mercenaries, private armies, assassins can all operate in a free market.

Childcare on the other hand requires massive state intervention to become viable.
The reason I asked was because I’ve read that landlords are considered dependent on the government because they claim back expenses (which all businesses do) and because, if the government housed all renters, there would be no private landlords. The second part wouldn’t happen because of the cost of providing housing on that scale.

The other reason I’ve heard about dependency on the government is because some renters rely on accommodation supplements to top up their rents.

Just wondering if the same could have been said for security companies….. just as private landlords are required for providing housing as the government can’t afford to provide to everyone, security companies provide a service that government’s can’t afford to provide to everyone. Just like some landlord’s income is dependent on the tenant getting government help, a security company with government contracts is dependent on the government for part of its income.

TBH, there would be too many businesses which wouldn’t be dependent, either directly or indirectly, on the government to some degree. The building industry is very dependent on government because of all the regulations on it and because central and local government control the supply of land through town planning zonal requirements. For all the calls for less governmental control, there would be chaos without it.

Last edited:
Haven't really heard anything in this regard other than motherhood statements,. I need to see the detail and some kind of long term plan.
They are the nothing govt so far, all they do is moan about the finances and cancel things without a plan to fill the gap.
Did actually hear some good ideas from bishop on housing, but again motherhood and no detail on how is going to be achieved.
We can all put aspirational shit out there but you get elected to have a plan and deliver it.
What do you want them to do? Govt never makes a rockstar economy, they get out of the way and enable private enterprise to do it. There had been a lot of getting out of the way at the moment and undoing Labours failed state control policies.

We haven’t even been finished the first 100 day plan yet. Success will be slow and by 1000 small changes rather that Labours bold statements with no follow through.

Judge in 2 years when seemingly insignificant things like removing interest deductibility has allowed the rental market to flow efficiently again.

Do any of your tenants recieve the Accomodation Supplement from the state?
Hey, the state is massive with its influence everywhere but a successful govt plugs holes, it doesn’t try to influence and control the economy through state intervention which Labour did unsuccessfully.

And no, I’m not aware of any of my tenants receiving the accomodation supplement but they could without my knowledge???

Back