NRL NRL Round 1, 2024 Discussion

Canberra are a roster that is heavily tiled towards size as opposed to speed. The only way they can really win is by grinding you out slowly through the middle. They just don't have the class on the edges to win any other way. So long as you match them physically, they really don't have much else. Unfortunately the Knights didn't want to aim up physically today. Troubling signs for them.

Canberra are a roster that is heavily tiled towards size as opposed to speed. The only way they can really win is by grinding you out slowly through the middle. They just don't have the class on the edges to win any other way. So long as you match them physically, they really don't have much else. Unfortunately the Knights didn't want to aim up physically today. Troubling signs for them.

I'd be wanting to see Brailey back for Newcastle before making too many assumptions about their season

At some stage this year we will be without Egan and we all know we are far worse for it.

I fell asleep in the middle of the game, but man, that really made me appreciate the shape we play with these days.

Watching Fogarty just throw one up and hope for the best every 5th tackle in the red zone drove my head up the wall, probably why I fell asleep lol

I fell asleep in the middle of the game, but man, that really made me appreciate the shape we play with these days.

Watching Fogarty just throw one up and hope for the best every 5th tackle in the red zone drove my head up the wall, probably why I fell asleep lol
Same. Snooze fest

It will be interesting to see if they find it tough this season if Ricky's whining moves towards the rules not suiting his squad. He complained after the covid restart he'd need to recruit a whole new squad as his squad was built for the old rules. At that point teams were still sorting out how to play under them. Our recruitment manager at the time thought big was better due to looking at the two grand final sides.

Ricky has had a few years to adjust his squad or how they play.

I was planning on going to sleep at half-time anyway. That first half was step down in quality from the Vegas games. Raiders didn't look like they would have much points in them, woke up surprised they scored 28 points in the end.

I noticed that as well. The Raiders don't have much shape to them. Compare them to how organised Webster had the Warriors last year. Stuart has been the long enough to get systems in place. They look like they will compete and be a nuisance in that you will have to work to maybe get over them late. Knowing my luck they will now repeat their late point scoring against us from last year.

It looks like they are missing a bit of quality. I know they had some missing but not sure if they would have made a huge difference.

Knights forward avoids charge for crusher tackle​

He was placed on report during the first half.​

Newcastle Knights forward Leo Thompson has avoided a charge from the NRL's match review committee despite being put on report for a crusher tackle during the club's Round 1 loss at home to the Canberra Raiders.

Thompson was penalised during the first half for the tackle which appeared to see him fall onto the neck and head of Raiders' key forward Joseph Tapine attempting to score under the posts.

It was thought at the time that he may have been set for a low grade charge, although questions were raised given the attacker had ducked his head and turned into the tackle, which occurred during the 14th minute of an eventual heavy win for the Raiders.

The penalty allowed the Raiders to open the scoring in the game with Jamal Fogarty slotting a penalty goal from directly in front of the posts.

The compression of the head and neck has been a major issue for the NRL in recent times, with attackers ducking into tackles and leaving defenders in difficult positions where the only way to avoid a crusher tackle is virtually letting go of the attacker.

Thompson, on his own tryline, conceded the penalty by remaining in the tackle.

A Grade 1 offence only would have landed Thompson with a fine.

No charge from the NRL's match review committee however will leave Thompson free to play next weekend as the Knights travel to Townsville to clash with the North Queensland Cowboys, with Adam O'Brien's side looking for their first win of the campaign.

I actually thought that Fogarty,s kicking was the winning of the game as it allowed the Raiders to dominate field position as he was always able to kick them out of trouble when the Knights were stopping their yardage

Back