General NRL Perth Nines 2020

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
No-one is saying the 9s matter. Same with trials. It's meaningless in the whole scheme of things. However, this was a chance to show some positivity the club has been sprouting to the media. This was a chance to show we have exciting youngsters coming through and are developing well. This was an opportunity to build confidence, and for players to push for an opportunity in the trials/first grade.

They didn't do any of that. Remember when we used to play an exciting style of football? Remember how unpredictable we were (in a positive way...behind by 2 tries with 10 mins remaining we were still in with a shot)? Remember when we played exciting 9s or adlib football? If you don't, watch some highlights from the past. And then look at what we witnessed on Fri and Sat.

You can guarantee that they would be more member sales (there is ALWAYS a bump in fan optimism at start of year press cycle) or people wanting to watch games if there is renewed hope. We are losing longtime fans every year. We need to change direction of the ship. We need to back our talks with action, not excuses.

Everyone has different levels of acceptable standard. Highly doubt even Autex or club management would give themselves a rating of "Highly switched on" based on how things have gone over past 12 months. But why do they need to, when fans so accepting of mediocrity will defend them anyway.
Great post as always.

The only part I dispute is something you hint at in the last sentence but have been more direct on in other posts.

Setting a goal of top four or bust, seems like it is setting us all up for failure.

We all enjoyed 2018 when we finished 8th. Or at least most fans enjoyed the season.

Why can't we make aiming for top 4 to be a long term 5 year horizon and just for 8th this year.

I would be very happy with finishing 7th to 8th for the next two years even if that sounds like a mediocre goal..
a) because yes I just enjoy being competitive and winning our fair share.
b) secondly if we can establish ourselves as top 8 team then recruitment will get easier. We really struggled this year recruitment wise. And I am secretely fearful that if we keep on doing shit - like finishing 14th to 16th then recruitment will get harder and harder until we become terminal. And that would gut me.

We need to achieve top 8 status asap and if that means throwing the towel in a Nines tournament because our stocks of NRL standard players are so weak that we can't even sustain one injury that so be it.

Finally I am going to close with a cricketing example because I know that sport better. We had a chance in a once in a generation tour with a boxing day test tour in Australia over Christmas and New Years. Instead of accepting some mediocre results in the matches pre-ceeding that Australian tour we played Trent Boult our best bowler in meaningless T20s and a test series against England that had no championship points associated with it. As a result trent got injured and his involvement in the Australian tour was limited and when he could play he wasn't fully fit and couldn't let it rip full tilt. We got destroyed and nose rubbed into the dirt on that tour and our chances of now winning the test championship have sailed.

We lost because New Zealand cricket is dumb and tries to win EVERYTHING and doesn't prioritise premier tours and save our resources for them.

The warriors management are way smarter and save our efforts and best players for what counts and that is the regular season.

Yes it would be nice to win the Nines and get some momentum and headlines. But life and success requires tradeoffs and sacrifices and choices. Choosing to succeed in the Nines would have been deletorious to our chances this regular season and, drawing a longer bow, even the long term future of the club.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
No-one is saying the 9s matter. Same with trials. It's meaningless in the whole scheme of things. However, this was a chance to show some positivity the club has been sprouting to the media. This was a chance to show we have exciting youngsters coming through and are developing well. This was an opportunity to build confidence, and for players to push for an opportunity in the trials/first grade.

They didn't do any of that. Remember when we used to play an exciting style of football? Remember how unpredictable we were (in a positive way...behind by 2 tries with 10 mins remaining we were still in with a shot)? Remember when we played exciting 9s or adlib football? If you don't, watch some highlights from the past. And then look at what we witnessed on Fri and Sat.

You can guarantee that they would be more member sales (there is ALWAYS a bump in fan optimism at start of year press cycle) or people wanting to watch games if there is renewed hope. We are losing longtime fans every year. We need to change direction of the ship. We need to back our talks with action, not excuses.

Everyone has different levels of acceptable standard. Highly doubt even Autex or club management would give themselves a rating of "Highly switched on" based on how things have gone over past 12 months. But why do they need to, when fans so accepting of mediocrity will defend them anyway.
I hear everything you are saying and find myself agreeing with all you say. I was so disappointed in what the Warriors as a whole put on display from forgetting jerseys to on field performances and that goes for the men and the woman.
I'm just playing devils advocate and trying to flip what what looks obvious and looking at it from another angle. Soon enough we'll see if your concerns are founded as I'm a bit 50 50 after what the nines showed.
Last year the club were vocal in getting members to Mt smart and giving money back after 4 rounds if you chose, this year there has been no attempt apart from a few cut price deals if you looked hard enough and also the CEO declaring everybody is against us. I'm hoping they they are counting on a good showing to bring fans back.
I agree it's a shame we couldn't show that free flowing game we used to possess as it showed how far away some of the guys selected for the nines are off that but like you say what we have been doing hasn't been working. We've had good nines tournaments and pre season and still had shit seasons. If trying something new and sacrificing the nines for our benefit is a success I'm all for it.
I hope I'm right and you're wrong and think you probably do too. Only time will tell.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
e
I think Autex and the whole management team have been really switched on for the past 12 months....

1) We went after good acquisition targets in the off season
2) We landed three ok prospects Egan/ BMM for next year we hope / Taunua Brown
3) We avoided bidding on shit cunts eg Kurt Capewell
4) We tanked on purpose in the Nines including not giving any minutes to LAM and naming a tactical idiot like Ice as captain. As a result two straight losses and no injuries.
5) We have a appointed a hookers coach and ready interim replacement for SK if we start the season badly.
6) We brought in the highly regarded Twentyman to run our off season fitness.

We may still have a poor season but have played our cards to the best of our ability.
That should get the fans back through the gate!

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
When the young roosters ran out on to the field with the Warriors. You could tell right away we were in trouble. Body shape! The young roosters looked trim & lean. Fit! Then you looked at our guys 🙄......Lisone , Papalii , Paasi ....Looked like we had run out some men who retired 20 years ago.

Even Ken the day before looked a little chubby.....I think we may be in some trouble this season if "Body shape" is anything to go by.......

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
When the young roosters ran out on to the field with the Warriors. You could tell right away we were in trouble. Body shape! The young roosters looked trim & lean. Fit! Then you looked at our guys 🙄......Lisone , Papalii , Paasi ....Looked like we had run out some men who retired 20 years ago.

Even Ken the day before looked a little chubby.....I think we may be in some trouble this season if "Body shape" is anything to go by.......
True but they were all kids, Ken looked like that 5 years ago. Alternatively it could mean we start fat and peak at the right end of the season for once if Twentyman really knows what he's doing. How did the Aussie 7s go anyway? Remains to be seen if his ideas translate to league, very different forms of endurance, esp for forwards.

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
True but they were all kids, Ken looked like that 5 years ago. Alternatively it could mean we start fat and peak at the right end of the season for once if Twentyman really knows what he's doing. How did the Aussie 7s go anyway? Remains to be seen if his ideas translate to league, very different forms of endurance, esp for forwards.
You may be onto something. I start out with a chubby and peak a couple seconds later too. Which in my case doesn't mean much. As I celebrate my grand final 2 minutes later. In the first round. And go to sleep for the rest of the season. I hope the Warriors don't follow suit..😂

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
You may be onto something. I start out with a chubby and peak a couple seconds later too. Which in my case doesn't mean much. As I celebrate my grand final 2 minutes later. In the first round. And go to sleep for the rest of the season. I hope the Warriors don't follow suit..😂
Disturbingly that's exactly what happened last season. Mark Robinson looks like one of those tantric sex gurus, he knows how to get the boys to pace themselves.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
How did the Aussie 7s go anyway? Remains to be seen if his ideas translate to league, very different forms of endurance, esp for forwards.
Sevens is about being alert to support breaks and also cover defence, which is not a strong point with the current mob.
I was so disappointed in what the Warriors as a whole put on display from forgetting jerseys
Start out as you mean to carry on. The jerseys incident shows lack of attention to detail, oddly enough which has always been one of Kearney's strengths. I think it points back to the top, and Boy George, heyzeuss spare me we are half way through February and no sign of tickets to the Eden Park game yet.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Sevens is about being alert to support breaks and also cover defence, which is not a strong point with the current mob.

Start out as you mean to carry on. The jerseys incident shows lack of attention to detail, oddly enough which has always been one of Kearney's strengths. I think it points back to the top, and Boy George, heyzeuss spare me we are half way through February and no sign of tickets to the Eden Park game yet.
Well as Chanel said before the weekend let's just hope we can build on our success at the nines and use it as a springboard for the season. I believe him.

#Allin #StopBeingShit

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Setting a goal of top four or bust, seems like it is setting us all up for failure.

We all enjoyed 2018 when we finished 8th. Or at least most fans enjoyed the season.

Why can't we make aiming for top 4 to be a long term 5 year horizon and just for 8th this year.

The warriors management are way smarter and save our efforts and best players for what counts and that is the regular season.
Just touching upon a couple of things you said;

Top 4 or bust is realistic. If you use all your resources to build that capacity. We have not done that.

Top 8 is realistic every year. No matter if you have Dally M award winning players at fullback, wing or on the bench. We have just scraped in recently aye.

If we're projecting 5 years in advance abd being realistic, I would go like this:

Year 1 - 100% effort from everyone, every time. Top 8. Measurable improvements in the development of all players.

Year 2 - 100% again with measurable improvements in defence, points differential and wins. Top 8 again with a higher finish if we didn't win it in year 1 (which we won't.....)

Year 3 - rinse and repeat
Etc etc.

Blindside

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2012
If we didn't want to risk injury to players, and they risk that every day at training, then play SK, Stacey, Rubes, Iro and that fat boy in the tracksuit.

I think the truth is the club thought these youngsters would surprise with their skills; instead they did with their lack of skills.

Will have the Mt Smart brains trust scratching their heads. Who is going to buy a season ticket to watch more of that?

pbrown01123

VP - Testing
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
....which is why I started supporting the Warriors!

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 10, 2013
Auckland
Paul McGregor is now questioning the nines concept. So glad we didn't fall into that trap of risking injuries to players we can't afford injuries to.
Yeah but he's the only coach complaining of the injuries, out loud anyway..
I bet the Cowboys forum is way different to comments in this forum relating to the 9's concept
Kearney was never a fan of the concept himself and as a result picked his team accordingly for Auckland we got knocked out day 1
Fans stayed away in droves on day 2 Eden Park was noticeably empty.
Also we still had a year to go on our contract to hold the nines but talk of moving it elsewhere was ramped up because of that.
I don't expect us to win the 9s ever while he is in charge BUT fuck why not risk injury for the 9s title when our season is looking pretty bleak anyway.
We're not expected or predicted to even make middle of the table this year.

The Cowboys took a risk on some of their stars, they won..
I bet the Cowboys fans are feeling way better about themselves because of it!

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Yeah but he's the only coach complaining of the injuries, out loud anyway..
I bet the Cowboys forum is way different to comments in this forum relating to the 9's concept
Kearney was never a fan of the concept himself and as a result picked his team accordingly for Auckland we got knocked out day 1
Fans stayed away in droves on day 2 Eden Park was noticeably empty.
Also we still had a year to go on our contract to hold the nines but talk of moving it elsewhere was ramped up because of that.
I don't expect us to win the 9s ever while he is in charge BUT fuck why not risk injury for the 9s title when our season is looking pretty bleak anyway.
We're not expected or predicted to even make middle of the table this year.

The Cowboys took a risk on some of their stars, they won..
I bet the Cowboys fans are feeling way better about themselves because of it!
why not risk it all for a nines title? IMO its obvious. Because as a fan i dont even bother to watch nines. The players dont get paid to play nines, they get paid to play NRL a 13 aside game that goes for approx 6 months not 2 days. Put the tournament after the season is over and I am in total favour of it, but just for the record i am against trips to england to play the top british and aussie teams off against one another. All tournaments, including origin should be at the end of the year only.

Seriously how would you like to start a six month campaign and lose 3 of your top 30 players, thats 10% of your squad down.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Seriously how would you like to start a six month campaign and lose 3 of your top 30 players, thats 10% of your squad down.
I appreciate that everyone has their own view on how to structure the season and the relative worth of the nines but:

“Sims will be sent for scans when the team return to Sydney on Sunday and will be in danger of missing round one.”

“Skipper McInnes suffered medial damage to his left knee while attempting to make a tackle. He will be sent for scans to determine the severity of the injury, but he will be racing the clock to be fit for round one.”

“The Dragons have confirmed the 24-year-old Dufty will require stabilisation surgery after an ugly collision against Parramatta in the group stages.”

2 of the 3 injured will be ready for round 1 (or close to it) with Duffy out longer. The Duffy incident was a freak head clash and could just as easily happen in the trials or at practise. Unfortunate but part of the game.

History tells us that 80% of teams that are in the top 8 at origin usually stay their until the finals so we should be starting full contact now and be on form at round 1. Go hard or... play for the Warriors 😋

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
The Duffy incident was a freak head clash and could just as easily happen in the trials or at practise. Unfortunate but part of the game.
Sounds like logic my little brother would use on me and my stepmother 25 years ago when arguing he should get to drive the family 2nd car 2 blocks to high school so he could impress the girls instead of me being allowed to drive it twenty kilometres each day to my place of work.

I have no come back to your logic other than to say I struggle to follow the logic flow of what you have posted.

However, good digging that the other two cunts are ok for round one.

My brother is now a Vice President and on track to be a CEO.

• Haha
Reactions: wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
arguing he should get to drive the family 2nd car 2 blocks to high school so he could impress the girls instead of me being allowed to drive it twenty kilometres each day to my place of work.
Great analogy 😍

When I got my first car it was to show off to the girls as well 😉

Reactions: wrighty