NRL NRL Round 1, 2024 Discussion

Same as Walsh. While he’s young and fast he’s bamboozling the opposition but he will need to reinvent his game aka SJ as he gets older.
That's a really good example.

Though, I agree with MrFrankWhite MrFrankWhite its the heart piece as well. SJ had no lack of heart and effort even when he was a scrawny little guy just debuting in first grade. Who knows, Walsh might bulk up a little more and get some confidence from that.

They had almost the perfect squad last year to play the way they did. Losing the players they did and moving Cobbo to centre has really hurt them. Kev Walters also seems like a short term motivational type coach. As you say, not a lot to fall back on and it looks like an even heavier reliance on Walsh to create something. They'll still beat plenty of teams this year just on talent they have but I think they have certainly returned back to that next tier of teams rather than that top level they achieved last season.
They definitely have some more chinks in their armour with their personell losses from last season and no real noted gains.

I do wonder how much the shorter width of the field played into the Bondi wall's hands, and took away from the Donkeys best attribute though.

I would love to see them tumble, as can't stand the Donkeys. Guess we will get a decent read on how they front up next week against another hungry squad in the Rabbitohs both looking to notch up their first win for the season.

IMG_7899.jpeg

Spencer Leniu has today announced that he did Racially abuse Ezra Mam and has provided a public apology to Ezra and his family.

Official ban to be imposed during the NRL judiciary on Tuesday.

Edit: Didn’t realise we had a naughty corner thread

Last edited:
View attachment 5620
Spencer Leniu has today announced that he did Racially abuse Ezra Mam and has provided a public apology to Ezra and his family.

Official ban to be imposed during the NRL judiciary on Tuesday.
A bit of relief. Didn't want this to go down the path of word against word. Trying to get away with something you know you did was the only way this could get worse. His comments post match will obviously make his apology look pretty token

Not trying to be inflammatory here but would he have gotten away with calling Ezra the N word? Or it's only allowed between african americans in the US? :oops:

Not trying to be inflammatory here but would he have gotten away with calling Ezra the N word? Or it's only allowed between african americans in the US? :oops:
Ah, but it's spelt with an A and pronounced slightly differently and is apparantly a synonym for friend/pal etc....
Yet, it seems to me it's almost used only as part "you're my/he's my " phrases which for cynical me sounds a bit like "I'm better than you..."
To muddy things further, I've read an article where someone compared calling a friend a n-word-a is like calling your wife honey, your friend can call you that, you can call your wife that, but some random dude/someone you're not friends with doing it is, er, a bit WTF at the very least.

Anyway, um, topic is (man peers at top of screen to read thread is 'nrl-round-1-2024-discussion' not 'what-does-the-other-nword-mean' like he thought) oh, yeah, Round 1, going for the Raiders just becuase they're my Interchange BFF when the Warriors suck. Not entirely confident, though...
Hoping the Panthers stomp the Storm so they're down in the mouth and primed for a pummelling from the Warriors next Saturday.

This could backfire on us very badly though, I still remember when we had to play them the week they got done for cheating the cap and had their premierships asterisked. (*shudders and cold chills)
I was at that game in Etihad stadium. After the game I got no "friendly" banter from the Storm fans. They looked sorry for me yet they had just lost all their points!

Ah, but it's spelt with an A and pronounced slightly differently and is apparantly a synonym for friend/pal etc....
Yet, it seems to me it's almost used only as part "you're my/he's my " phrases which for cynical me sounds a bit like "I'm better than you..."
To muddy things further, I've read an article where someone compared calling a friend a n-word-a is like calling your wife honey, your friend can call you that, you can call your wife that, but some random dude/someone you're not friends with doing it is, er, a bit WTF at the very least.

Anyway, um, topic is (man peers at top of screen to read thread is 'nrl-round-1-2024-discussion' not 'what-does-the-other-nword-mean' like he thought) oh, yeah, Round 1, going for the Raiders just becuase they're my Interchange BFF when the Warriors suck. Not entirely confident, though...
Hoping the Panthers stomp the Storm so they're down in the mouth and primed for a pummelling from the Warriors next Saturday.
I usually go against the Raiders coz it's funny to see Sticky flip out but I actually find them more likeable now that Wighton isn't there. They've got a pretty solid side and I read an article somewhere Papali'i is in much better shape after taking some time out ruling himself out of internationals. They also always seem to do better than everyone rates them as well, a lot depends on how their halves go and whether they're able to score points. I also quite like a couple of their players in Timoko and Tapine. Tapine seemed to struggle a bit at times last season but I think that was partially because he looked like he was trying too hard to do everything himself.

I usually go against the Raiders coz it's funny to see Sticky flip out but I actually find them more likeable now that Wighton isn't there. They've got a pretty solid side and I read an article somewhere Papali'i is in much better shape after taking some time out ruling himself out of internationals. They also always seem to do better than everyone rates them as well, a lot depends on how their halves go and whether they're able to score points. I also quite like a couple of their players in Timoko and Tapine. Tapine seemed to struggle a bit at times last season but I think that was partially because he looked like he was trying too hard to do everything himself.
Yeah but fuck Sticky

Looks like we all agree that Cobbo went terrible at centre. Maybe a switch soon between he and Arthars?

Back