General NRL Magic Round 2019

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
NRL Magic Round
Only the NRL could cook up the announcement of the magic round next year by making it the weekend that Suncorp was already booked for super rugby!!

Stolen concept from the ESL but should be a fun weekend...for everyone but that miserable git Phil Gould!

NRL bows to rugby in 'embarrassing' Magic Round dates gaffe
Last updated 18:32, June 18 2018

GETTY IMAGES

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg could be a little red faced after the NRL double booked its newly announced Magic round with Super Rugby.

It is embarrassing, but whether Rugby Australia should be calling it embarrassing is another question.

The NRL's Magic Round - in which an entire round will be played at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane in a festival-like weekend next May - hit a major speed bump at the weekend.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg held a media conference in Brisbane on Sunday morning to announce that all eight games of round 10 next year would be held at Suncorp Stadium, over the weekend of May 17-19.

MATT KING/GETTY IMAGES

Penrith Panthers chief and rugby league commentator doesn't support Brisbane staging the NRL's Magic Round.

However, it soon emerged that the Queensland Reds were booked in to play their Super Rugby clash with the NSW Waratahs at the ground on May 18.

Hours later the NRL announced the Magic Round would come a week earlier.

"There has been some miscommunication over the availability of dates," the NRL said in a statement.

"NRL Brisbane Magic Round will occur in Round Nine of next year's NRL Premiership from May 10-12."

An article on rugby.com.au, the media arm of Rugby Australia, termed the mix up "an embarrassing gaffe for the NRL"

Given the year Rugby Australia has had with the furore over the axing of the Western Force from Super Rugby, the subsequent departure of CEO Bill Pulver and continuing controversy over star player Israel Folau's biblical tweets, it was inevitable the "embarrassing gaffe" charge would attract comment.

"Australian rugby is calling league embarrassing. Assemble the pitchforks and flaming torches," Australian journalist Tim Barrow tweeted.

Greenberg spruiked Brisbane as the best place to launch Magic Round, forecast to become an annual event.

The NRL has signed a multi-year agreement with the Queensland government and Brisbane City Council to hold it in Brisbane but he admitted it could move locations in the future.

"I think it's a fitting start for what will be an annual event," Greenberg said.

"There's probably not a better place to try it than here in Queensland.

"I expect it to be a roaring success.

However, Penrith Panthers CEO Phil Gould is not happy about the plan.

"Brisbane has vehemently fought against the idea of a second team in the city for two decades. It ran the Crushers out of town through greed. Now suddenly it's the city to reward with 8 NRL games on one weekend. Give me a break," he posted on Twitter.

He then followed it up with a comparison to the Auckland Nines, which are not being held this year.

"I'm not anti-Broncos at all. I just don't see the sense at all in such a gimmick when it serves no strategic purpose. The Auckland 9's was going to sell the game of rugby league to NZ and the rest of the world. FLUFF!! It's about the money."

- Stuff and AAP

Last edited by a moderator:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Typical of the NRL to not check the venue is available or not.

Also typical of Gould about the sport doing something different. He has praised the Queensland crowds previously and also mentioned about Brisbane being the base for league now with the crowds that they get there for the Broncos, State of Origin, tests. If this is going to be an annual thing starting with Brisbane is fine as that is where they should get the best crowds. Then after a year or two or look at moving it to Auckland or Perth.

I was nervous about the double headers as some in recent years the crowds have either changed for each game either bigger to start with before emptying out for the second or people only coming in for the second to see their team. This year they have been a success and would expect them to continue with them next year.

The magic weekend like the double headers is about trying to get more people to the ground. We will get a few clubs/coaches complaining about losing home ground advantage as everyone only looks at their little patch and are too short sighted.

Reactions: Sup42

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Interested to see how this goes. I'd be happy to go and watch all 8 games but I feel like I'm in the minority there.
Double headers are the perfect length of time for crowds in my opinion but 8 games over 3 days in one spot might be a bit overkill?

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
If I was going to go a double header would be better suited in terms of how much time I free up and my concentration levels.

I'm still interested to see how it goes, especially the crowds. Some of the games I've seen in England haven't had the best crowds but that could of been due to being earlier in the day.

Gould would be happy if it was held in Penrith.

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I think its a dumb idea. I would be surprised if you got much of a crowd to the majority of games except maybe the Broncos and maybe the Warriors.

I guess the only way they would do it is if they did something like have the Gold Coast playing on Friday, the Broncos on Saturday and the Cowboys on Sunday to try and ensure they get the Queensland crowd in to watch.

You also have nearly half the teams lose a home game from their season which effects the fans, sponsors, and possibly results.

Last edited:

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
I guess the only way they would do it is if they have the did something like have the Gold Coast playing on Friday, the Broncos on Saturday and the Cowboys on Sunday to try and ensure the get the Queensland crowd in to watch.

Yeah that's how they'll do it, the Storm and Warriors will also have intrigue up there.

They've done a deal with the Queensland Govt, so they only care about meeting their little targets of hotel bookings etc rather than if people are going to go to all three days. Interested to see how they price the weekend and how many people show up. They'll probably market it like a Nines or Sevens weekend and encourage people to dress up and all that jazz.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I'm fine with them making money. But they have to deliver a great event after all this publicity. Otherwise it's just a shit show and will struggle to make a dollar going forward.

Maybe if they get out of this one alright financially they should leave it at that. The nines was interesting in its first year, but declined pretty quickly. One off gimmick events might be the way to go.

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
All 16 teams in one place for one weekend in the genuine NRL comp? I’ll definitely get out and support it. Why wouldn’t ya?
Even if it fails and is a one time thing I think it’s great the NRL want to give it a crack.

Can be rest assured one thing, plenty of local ladies haven’t been this excited since the last American navy ship docked in Brisbane.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
I think its a dumb idea. I would be surprised if you got much of a crowd to the majority of games except maybe the Broncos and maybe the Warriors.

I guess the only way they would do it is if they did something like have the Gold Coast playing on Friday, the Broncos on Saturday and the Cowboys on Sunday to try and ensure they get the Queensland crowd in to watch.

You also have nearly half the teams lose a home game from their season which effects the fans, sponsors, and possibly results.
I don't care one jot if Sydney teams lose a home game and I'd expect that to be the case. I do care if Warriors lose a home game tho. That would be ridiculous.

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Making the Roosters get on a plane is so unfair!
Actually that is a great point I hadn't thought of. Hopefully all the sydney teams lose a home game that round by going to Brisbane and they end up playing each other so that they still have tot ravel to games against the Qld based teams effectively doubling there travel out of Sydney.

Mwahahahahahhaha

:playful:

Reactions: Citygirl

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Might be keen for a 1 off.
Gotta find a way to get people interested in 8 games though...
Broncs, Tits and Cows no brainers, storm is pretty much a qld side, enough expats for us to draw a crowd. Gets tricky after that, I’ve been told Dragons are historically well supported in qld for some reason and Souths fans keep telling me they’re everyone’s second team lol not sure what other games would draw crowds

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Interested to see how this goes. I'd be happy to go and watch all 8 games but I feel like I'm in the minority there.
Double headers are the perfect length of time for crowds in my opinion but 8 games over 3 days in one spot might be a bit overkill?

Could split it between Suncorp and Gold Coast's stadium.

It's not that far and kinder on the playing surface. Imagine if Suncorp has a lot of rain and the players need the long sprigs on their gumboots?

Reactions: bruce

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Dumb idea. Grenberg has his head up his arse. Double header is just fine no need to go further.

I don't mind the idea but the practicality of running 8 games over 3 days sounds like murder for the surface unless the NRL are prepared to subsidise the cost of upgrading the pitch to something that can handle it guaranteed to ensure a quality of pitch needed.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings