General NRL General Manager Game - Wheel and Deal to the best team

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Hi all,

Perhaps you sat on the side line during the two recent Rugby League forum drafting games but then from observing noted it would have been fun to play.

Don't miss out this time. This will probably be the only time we play General Manager during 2020 and it should be intriguing.

Are you the sort of person that takes an opinion on what players should be acquired and what the best balance of a team is?
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to Manage a rugby league franchise for a short time? Well I can't promise you that experience but can promise you the next best thing...a virtual experience as an NRL general manager making trades and acquiring off contract players.

You can target players you always wanted who are under rated or discard a player you always hated.

Taking sign ups now. We need a decent number of contestants and cu**s or we won't be able to proceed so hopefully you will enter.

I am going to snag the Warriors the other 15 teams are open - please make a post and enter and name which team you want. First in first served.

Also need at least one helpful cu** to be represent the player agents. This person will play the role of Super agent Isaac Moses and largely determine which offer an off contract player will take. This person needs to be quite active and be able to check in the game quite frequently. Also require a good knowledge of salaries and how much a player is really worth. If a second person helpfully volunteers will create a secondary player agent role.

The game will not begin until Friday 5pm May 8th. That's next Friday not this Friday. The reason is want some time to settle since the Warriors draft and people to catch their breath from that.

The complete set of rules and how to play will be posted later however please consider the following as draft rules

TENTATIVE DRAFT RULES

Each contestant will be a general manager and sign up for a different NRL team and we will assume a scenario where the NRL has stopped playing due to Covid 19 and will recommence in 4 weeks. The NRL has decided that NRL General managers can acquire players and make trades during this "downtime". We will also assume that the salary structure that we know today has not been and will not be impacted by Covid 19. For the purposes of this game any acquisitions you make will come immediately. Even if that means they break a 2020 contract. e.g Blake Green is off contract at the end of 2020 - if the Broncos acquire his rights for next year we will assume that Blake will demand an early release from this season and be available immediately to the Broncos.
Your goal is to get the best 17 man line up you can to for when the NRL resumes 4 weeks from now.

You will need to reference
1) The current thirty man squads https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...d-development-squad/rcb3jy3gkw8u1ciwpy0kbcz9r

2) Any relevant injuries https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/casualty-ward-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/

3) Who is off contract https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2020/

Each GM will try to improve their roster by either
a) arranging NRL player trades - either player for player or multi player deals
b) bidding and trying to secure free agents from other NRL teams.

You may not convert someone from soccer or rugby etc or bring in an English Super player unless a real life deal is already confirmed. Am yet to develop a rule for players due to come in 2021 like Tino to the Titans

For Trades
If I am the Warriors GM and you sign up to the Broncos GM then I may propose a trade to you.
Eg Katoa and Burr for Pangai Jr
You would either say yes or no or bargain / counter offer me. For trading to work well we need a decent number of Contestants so that there is a choice of teams to trade with.
Once a trade is proposed and agreed to by both parties or perhaps three parties in the case of a three way trade, it needs to be confirmed by a neutral party as a "fair trade' to make sure that collusion isn't happening in the game.

I am still working through the details of the free agent securement process but it involve an auction process with the Isaac Moses helpul person adjudicating the winner of the negotiations.

Two prizes will be available

1) The best team at the end
2) the team that improved the most.

Part of the challenge will be deciding which team to volunteer to be the GM for. The titans offer a great chance for most improved...while the roosters have a lot of assets to allow for trades.

Edit: In addition for your choice of team am going to award more cap space to the lower ranked teams from last season. You can only acquire within your starting cap space in this game.
Team ranked first will have 1.4M to play with each team beneath will have an additional $125K all the way to 16th. (these numbers are tentative and I may amend them - but won't be drastically different.)

As mentioned I will snake the Warriors, the other 15 teams are available as is the Issac Moses position(s)

Are you as shrewd as this guy?

Last edited:

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Well I hummed and harred because it does sound quite involved but I was kicking myself a bit for not signing up to the warriors draft so alrighty wrighty (that’s fun to say) give me the Sharks.

Reactions: warriors55

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Wtf are the roosters gonna do with an extra 1.4m in cap?
I like the idea of staggering the cap but think the top team should start with $0 cap space.
But then I’ve never played this game so wtf would I know :D

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Well I hummed and harred because it does sound quite involved but I was kicking myself a bit for not signing up to the warriors draft so alrighty wrighty (that’s fun to say) give me the Sharks.

Have I got a deal for you!??!

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Wtf are the roosters gonna do with an extra 1.4m in cap?
I like the idea of staggering the cap but think the top team should start with $0 cap space.
But then I’ve never played this game so wtf would I know :D

The issue we observe with the Roosters is that they always seem to come up with another $1M to pay for some highly touted star player and make a mockery of the salary cap.

So in real life probably they could come up with $1.4M this year.
Am open to suggestions though. Should I lower the Roosters amount to $1.1M (and everyone else down accordingly as well)

Cheers

Wrighty

PS liked your alrighty wrighty :)

Reactions: Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
The issue we observe with the Roosters is that they always seem to come up with another $1M to pay for some highly touted star player and make a mockery of the salary cap.

So in real life probably they could come up with $1.4M this year.
Am open to suggestions though. Should I lower the Roosters amount to $1.1M (and everyone else down accordingly as well)

Cheers

Wrighty

PS liked your alrighty wrighty :)

All good mate- im still trying to get my head around how it works.
So are we pretending all players coming off contact at the end of the year are actually coming off contract now and u can sign them or re-sign as the case may be?
Also do we need to still have a squad of 30 at the end of it all?

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
Hmm most of my favorite teams are taken. I am weighing up whether to go with Manly or Canberra. I'm going to go with Manly for more of a challenge. Plus they are the only NSW team that I like.

Warriors55 - Manly Sea Eagles

Reactions: Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Roosters and Storm already have near perfect teams so that is an issue.

Maybe teams should be forced to trade a certain number of players?

They both have some handy players coming off contract tho so if they do need to re-sign them that would make it interesting.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings