Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
There's a daily telegraph article about Lomax wanting an immediate release that mentions the NAS unrest at the Storm - would be kind of weird if we weren't making enquires....

St George Illawarra are preparing for Zac Lomax to ask for an immediate release as the parties prepare for crunch talks next week.

Lomax is again expected to request to exit the club immediately. The Dragons’ indicated before round one that they would put any potential talks on his future on hold until after round four. That time will come next week after the Dragons play Manly on Saturday night. No formal meeting has planned for next week as yet however is an anticipation that a call will come from Lomax’s management to the Dragons camp where they could again intimate Lomax’s desire to leave the club.

The Dragons have already told Lomax they have no intention to release him despite Parramatta circling. The door is slightly ajar to cut Lomax adrift at season’s end which would free up about $800,000 off St George Illawarra’s books. Parramatta have the scope to land him now.

The Dragons could be enticed to let Lomax go immediately should a rival club propose a player swap. They wouldn’t hesitate if the Eels would be prepared to part with emerging young gun Blaize Talagi but that would be at long odds from occurring.

St George Illawarra are also aware of growing unrest regarding Nelson Asofa-Solomona at the Storm.

They are yet to engage in any talks of a potential player swap until they have some clarity surrounding Lomax. Salary cap space is not a concern for the Dragons – they have plenty of wiggle room – but need to secure some high profile players to fill any potential void

Despite the uncertainty surrounding Lomax’s future, he has proved to be a revelation playing on the wing for the Dragons to start the season and has been easily their best player.

His desire to shift back to centre could come as soon as next week with Jack Bird on notice after a poor showing in recent weeks.

His form has been noticed by NSW coach Michael Maguire who has told Lomax that he is on the radar for a potential Origin debut.

There's a daily telegraph article about Lomax wanting an immediate release that mentions the NAS unrest at the Storm - would be kind of weird if we weren't making enquires....

St George Illawarra are preparing for Zac Lomax to ask for an immediate release as the parties prepare for crunch talks next week.

Lomax is again expected to request to exit the club immediately. The Dragons’ indicated before round one that they would put any potential talks on his future on hold until after round four. That time will come next week after the Dragons play Manly on Saturday night. No formal meeting has planned for next week as yet however is an anticipation that a call will come from Lomax’s management to the Dragons camp where they could again intimate Lomax’s desire to leave the club.

The Dragons have already told Lomax they have no intention to release him despite Parramatta circling. The door is slightly ajar to cut Lomax adrift at season’s end which would free up about $800,000 off St George Illawarra’s books. Parramatta have the scope to land him now.

The Dragons could be enticed to let Lomax go immediately should a rival club propose a player swap. They wouldn’t hesitate if the Eels would be prepared to part with emerging young gun Blaize Talagi but that would be at long odds from occurring.

St George Illawarra are also aware of growing unrest regarding Nelson Asofa-Solomona at the Storm.

They are yet to engage in any talks of a potential player swap until they have some clarity surrounding Lomax. Salary cap space is not a concern for the Dragons – they have plenty of wiggle room – but need to secure some high profile players to fill any potential void

Despite the uncertainty surrounding Lomax’s future, he has proved to be a revelation playing on the wing for the Dragons to start the season and has been easily their best player.

His desire to shift back to centre could come as soon as next week with Jack Bird on notice after a poor showing in recent weeks.

His form has been noticed by NSW coach Michael Maguire who has told Lomax that he is on the radar for a potential Origin debut.
Seen the storm have interest in Lomax too, would almost be a good fit salary wise in a swap for NAS? Eels have enough front row depth to offer a player like Ofahengaue or someone like if Lomax has a preference to go to the eels which is possibility since he’d be able to stay in Sydney? We’d definitely be foolish to not be inquiring about NAS if he’s unhappy or on the outer

You would have to wonder how the eels could fit Lomax under their cap.
Gutho- 1mil, Cambell-Gillard-750k, Dylan brown-1mil, Paulo-950k, Moses-1.1mil.

Roosters for me would be the likely option with them likely losing Manu and Suaali’i next season. Storm could be an outsider, but the last thing they need is losing more forward depth which is where there struggling with at the moment.

Origin forward on the move?

Which former State of Origin front-rower could be heading for a warmer climate - and soon! The player has been deemed surplus to requirements at his current club but is being chased by a team north of the border. It's just a question of whether the two clubs can come to an arrangement and if they can, he will be packing his bags sometime in April.

Wonder who this is? Likely to titans you’d imagine with Tino gone for the season? Perhaps cowboys?
Jaydn Su'A leaving Dragons for Dolphins

You would have to wonder how the eels could fit Lomax under their cap.
Gutho- 1mil, Cambell-Gillard-750k, Dylan brown-1mil, Paulo-950k, Moses-1.1mil.

Roosters for me would be the likely option with them likely losing Manu and Suaali’i next season. Storm could be an outsider, but the last thing they need is losing more forward depth which is where there struggling with at the moment.
So many rumours floating around, hard to know what’s true? Apparently on a radio show last week in aussie was RCG to dragons next year? Had been widely known roosters were keen on Lomax but with dragons giving it till round 4 for Lomax to change his mind on wanting an immediate release, to which he hasn’t, the dragons might be keen on an immediate swap? They said they wouldn’t let him go this year but with Flanagan still forming his squad he might let him go? Then there’s the possibility of the eels looking promising so might be reluctant to release RCG right now, then also storm have been promising without NAS to which they might let him go? All comes down to where Lomax wants to go likely

I wonder if we have tapped NAS' manager to encourage the 'unrest'. We have a pile of cash burning a hole for next year.
NAS is back in Q cup for the bears this week once again. You would think a player of his calibre would only need a week in Reggie’s before he would be called back up.

I’m assuming no team can technically make a play for him until he formally requests a release?

NAS is back in Q cup for the bears this week once again. You would think a player of his calibre would only need a week in Reggie’s before he would be called back up.

I’m assuming no team can technically make a play for him until he formally requests a release?
I think you can make an approach at anytime about signing - you just can't offer up a contract until Nov 1 (the year before expiry)

BIG NEWS ON LOMAX​

Posted by Cʜɪᴇғ - on March 28, 2024 at 1:50pm
The inside information and this is from a credible source, - This Saturday will be the last game Lomax will play in the red V. Make of this what you will. Parramatta are odds on and have made it known through the media that we are after him.

Whether he joins the eels or another team, I've only been told that He'll be playing in other colours in the next few weeks.

Off the eels forum. They think it could be Wiremu Greig in a trade? They’ve got a young Ethan sanders likely off to raiders next year and surely wouldn’t let Blaze Talagi go as well?

BIG NEWS ON LOMAX​

Posted by Cʜɪᴇғ - on March 28, 2024 at 1:50pm
The inside information and this is from a credible source, - This Saturday will be the last game Lomax will play in the red V. Make of this what you will. Parramatta are odds on and have made it known through the media that we are after him.

Whether he joins the eels or another team, I've only been told that He'll be playing in other colours in the next few weeks.

Off the eels forum. They think it could be Wiremu Greig in a trade? They’ve got a young Ethan sanders likely off to raiders next year and surely wouldn’t let Blaze Talagi go as well?

Let the merry-go-round commence!

I'm sitting here with a big tub of popcorn watching, waiting to see how we spend this AFB money

We did give Katoa to Storm for free so they should give us NAS, Lomax goes to them, and we'll give Volkman to the Dragons for 2025 🤣

1711600388346.png

NRL Rookie of the year Sunia Turuva could be on his way out of Penrith with his management set to open discussions with rival teams from next week.

Turuva, a revelation for the Panthers on the wing last year, is off contract at the end of this season and is yet to strike a deal with the reigning champions despite fellow outside backs Izack Tago and Taylan May recently securing extensions.

Penrith, who have also extended back-up centre Paul Alamoti’s contract in recent weeks, want to keep Turuva at the club but salary cap limitations have brought negotiations to a halt with the Panthers unwilling to spend more than $350,000 a season.

Turuva’s agent Mark Stewart recently met with the club to inform Penrith he would now seek expressions of interest and offers from rival clubs before returning to the Panthers to see if they can get closer to what he believes is his value on the open market.

Turuva is expected to attract offers of close to $500,000-a-season on the open market and could be squeezed out of Penrith as a result.

The Panthers are comfortable with the plan, having previously adopted a similar strategy with other players who have come back to the club with their best offers from rival teams.

Penrith couldn’t match offers on the table for Viliame Kikau (Bulldogs) and Jarome Luai (Tigers) and both signed elsewhere with the club’s blessing.

Turuva spent most of his junior football playing fullback in the Panthers’ lower grades and will be offered up to rival clubs as a potential No.1 option, having also represented Fiji in the role at the 2022 World Cup in the United Kingdom.

During the past month the Panthers have prioritised other players and extended May’s contract until the end of 2026 on a deal worth close to $1.1 million over two years.

They also moved swiftly to secure Tago’s services despite the in-form centre still contracted until the end of 2025.

Tago’s new deal will see him remain at Penrith until 2028 on a contract worth close to $3 million over four years.

Over the past few years the Panthers have lost two high-profile players each season as a result of their success and the squeeze on the team’s salary cap.

After the 2021 grand final triumph, Penrith lost Matt Burton (Bulldogs) and Kurt Capewell (Broncos).

Following their 2022 triumph over Parramatta, they then lost hooker Api Koroisau (Wests Tigers) and Kikau (Bulldogs).

Last year, after the team’s third straight title win over Brisbane, the Panthers farewelled centre Stephen Crichton (Bulldogs) and prop Spencer Leniu (Roosters).

At the end of this season they will say goodbye to Luai (Wests Tigers) and potentially one other player as they try to keep the nucleus of their all-conquering squad together.

The Panthes are also in discussions to extend hooker Mitch Kenny’s contract and are confident he will remain at the club despite attracting interest from St George Illawarra.

While the salary cap is limiting Penrith’s spending capacity, they are also pondering Turuva’s value given the talent at their disposal coming through the lower grades.

Brothers Jesse (20) and Casey McLean (18) are considered future superstars of the club and are both locked in until the end of 2026.

The Newcastle Knights, Wests Tigers, Parramatta Eels and Melbourne Storm have all been looking four outside backs. The Dragons could also enter the frame with Zac Lomax expected to be granted permission to leave in 2025, if not sooner.

The Herald previously reported that the Dragons told Lomax’s agent that they would enter discussions with him about his future after round four. The Eels are circling and want Lomax at the club immediately as a centre.

Had seen that the roosters had identified Turuva as a target

Man id love for us to get Turuva.

Im hoping that if we time it right, we will likely have 2 or 3 years of Laban, Zyon Maiu’u, Sifakula, Halasema and Ali all on modest coin prior to them all become superstars, maybe the 2025-2028 window.

That means we could pay overs for some of those key areas that were lacking. I'd pay 500k to get Turuva here. Imagine the amount of finishes he would have scored that Montoya wasn't able to. And at likely only 200k more, that's an area I would look at for sure.

I've always said that to win a premiership you need 2 or 3 boom rookies who perform well, which gives you more cap to spend in other key areas.

If we were able to pick up a dominant kicking half for 2026 onwards, I think with that plethora of top young talent, along with the core players of Wade, CNK, Roger, Berry, Metcalf, DWZ, Niukore and Barnett I think we have a really really solid base moving forward.

Man id love for us to get Turuva.

Im hoping that if we time it right, we will likely have 2 or 3 years of Laban, Zyon Maiu’u, Sifakula, Halasema and Ali all on modest coin prior to them all become superstars, maybe the 2025-2028 window.

That means we could pay overs for some of those key areas that were lacking. I'd pay 500k to get Turuva here. Imagine the amount of finishes he would have scored that Montoya wasn't able to. And at likely only 200k more, that's an area I would look at for sure.

I've always said that to win a premiership you need 2 or 3 boom rookies who perform well, which gives you more cap to spend in other key areas.

If we were able to pick up a dominant kicking half for 2026 onwards, I think with that plethora of top young talent, along with the core players of Wade, CNK, Roger, Berry, Metcalf, DWZ, Niukore and Barnett I think we have a really really solid base moving forward.
Taruva would be a luxury signing though right? What about Mulitalo off contract 2026 when DWZ, Montoya and kosi up? Mulitalo would suit us much more.

Back