General NRL Footy Programs Discussion Thread

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Akin to when Moylan killed the footy show? Usually don’t mind Vonny but the guys seem to be shit scared of coming across wrong and patronise the Ladies a bit in an effort to not offend- it doesn’t seem natural conversation.
Always remember with Matty John’s show when Emma Freedman did a segment shed always get “Thanks Emma- you did well”, was sooo cringey as they never thanked the male contributors
Not sure on Moylan I stopped watching the footy show before her arrival. It’s not even a female v male thing. Nrl 360 is a show based around debating rugby league topics of the day, Sampson doesn’t have a strong enough footing in the game to do that imo - it was weak sauce last night.

Get Pitt in there to run it if they want a female for diversity reasons, at least she has good opinions on the game and comes with a bit of street cred. Anyway, just a show certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over 😂

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
There was another good sports channel on radio a few years ago or it may have been just a few hours in the morning. I used to listen to the 2-3 hour show with Nathan Rarare, Ian Smith and I can't recall the other host.

Think people used to mention it on here as I think this is where I got onto it from.

Used to have Andrew Voss on weekly along with one of the player managers. Can't recall his name but he managed NAS at the time and this was before he played first grade. He'd talk about some of his clients or being in the background during State of Origin celebrations. But he'd often mention this young kiwi he had on his books.

Reactions: matiunz and bruce

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
There was another good sports channel on radio a few years ago or it may have been just a few hours in the morning. I used to listen to the 2-3 hour show with Nathan Rarare, Ian Smith and I can't recall the other host.

Think people used to mention it on here as I think this is where I got onto it from.

Used to have Andrew Voss on weekly along with one of the player managers. Can't recall his name but he managed NAS at the time and this was before he played first grade. He'd talk about some of his clients or being in the background during State of Origin celebrations. But he'd often mention this young kiwi he had on his books.
That was the now defunct Radio Sport

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Yeah can see Nathan Rarere is on that link but the show I'm referring to wasn't on RadioSport.

RadioSport ended during covid last year. The one I'm referring to was RadioLiveSport a different station that ended a few years ago.

If you look at the Wikipedia page for Ian Smith there is a footnote for RadioLive Sport (He worked as a radio announcer on Radio Live SPORT[5]). It also has a link to the defunct website http://www.radiolivesport.co.nz/ where radiosport was www.radiosport.co.nz which redirects to NewsHub.

Nathan Rarere likely went to RadioSport after the other station ended. This article has him talking about early morning starts hosting Breakfast of Champions on Live Sport

Reactions: bruce

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Yeah can see Nathan Rarere is on that link but the show I'm referring to wasn't on RadioSport.

RadioSport ended during covid last year. The one I'm referring to was RadioLiveSport a different station that ended a few years ago.

If you look at the Wikipedia page for Ian Smith there is a footnote for RadioLive Sport (He worked as a radio announcer on Radio Live SPORT[5]). It also has a link to the defunct website http://www.radiolivesport.co.nz/ where radiosport was www.radiosport.co.nz which redirects to NewsHub.

Nathan Rarere likely went to RadioSport after the other station ended. This article has him talking about early morning starts hosting Breakfast of Champions on Live Sport
I think you are correct- a bit of research shows that he won a radio award in 2010 while running a breakfast show on Live.

Apologies

Reactions: bruce and snake77

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Have been listening to a new sports FM radio station this week called SENZ which started a few weeks ago. Ian Smith hosts in the morning and it goes until 11 at night. There's been quite a bit of league coverage with the Stray Dog interviewed the other night.
Great post brother. I didn't know about that. I will definitely tune in.

I do wonder about the viability of it though.

I met one of the Radio Sports jocks years ago, and he said their ratings were shite. He reckoned the only jock making any money out of it was Brendon Telfer.

I think Ian Smith would make as good a job as Telfer did.

I wasn't surprised when they canned it.

They have some class in there. Ricki Swannell is first class, so is Smith.

Most of them are probably very well off financially and can afford to work for nicks just to get it going.

Reactions: jonesy101

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
Great post brother. I didn't know about that. I will definitely tune in.

I do wonder about the viability of it though.

I met one of the Radio Sports jocks years ago, and he said their ratings were shite. He reckoned the only jock making any money out of it was Brendon Telfer.

I think Ian Smith would make as good a job as Telfer did.

I wasn't surprised when they canned it.

They have some class in there. Ricki Swannell is first class, so is Smith.

Most of them are probably very well off financially and can afford to work for nicks just to get it going.
Its owned by an Australian outfit called the Sports Entertainment Network that has the rights to live AFL broadcasts so they must have some financial clout. That they have immediately gone for respected well known ex-sportspeople and reputable sports journalists to host the content shows they look to be serious about their venture into NZ radio.

• Love
Reactions: matiunz and bruce

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings