General NRL Footy Programs Discussion Thread

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Big fan of 360. Kenty is a likeable fuck-wit.
Is it just me or are the Mark Nobel voice over rev ups for Fox Sports starting to sound like Goulds nauseating pre-Origin rants?

I'd like those more if he was honest:
"Friday Night, 8PM, yet another game sure to be over-hyped and just as sure to under-deliver! The Broncos, Kevvie's boys, will bore you shitless against Craig's mob from Victoria. Who will also bore you shitless. Really, let's talk about the dead no-body-cares slot of 3PM Saturday. That slot's nearly always so much better - and usually involves the Warriors. So let's...."

Director "Cut! Cut!"

He's the kind of voice that could bring the 12th Man out of retirement. He reminds me of the voiceovers in some movie trailers "In A World..." Far too far too earnest and serious.

The Cronk situation sounds a bit suss, but if both clubs are happy-ish about it...

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Interesting way to kick off the season having Cronk put under the microscope re his ambassaor / coach roles with both the Roosters & Storm camps. He's not going freelance so seems a bit suspect - especially with those particular cllubs . Would be interested to know what others think.
How is that not a conflict of interest? Even Paul Kent was with buzz on this one🤯

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
is this any different to Andrew Johns being a halfback coach for various clubs previously?
Because he's employed under the salary cap at the roosters and he's taking up work with the storm? How is that ok? I could understand if he was just a contract worker but he's employed by the roosters to work for that club.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Because he's employed under the salary cap at the roosters and he's taking up work with the storm? How is that ok? I could understand if he was just a contract worker but he's employed by the roosters to work for that club.
so is he being paid by both clubs?

so doing basically two part time jobs?

if both clubs are ok with it then what's the issue? Personally I wouldn't like it if I was one of the clubs but if they are happy enough for him to do it then that is their call isn't it?

Sky Waka

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2017
I don't have a high opinion of Kevin Walters smarts.

On Monday's show he refused to answer who was going to be named at halfback before later saying Tom Dearden trialed in the Qld Cup.

So the answer who was gonna be halfback was obvious.

If Walters coached Qld last year they would've lost origin.

And Nable should've stuck to acting.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
As he explained it he does analysis work for the Roosters which is his main role, and as a secondary role he mentors Jahrome Hughes for the storm mostly on zoom and a handful of times in person. The way he explained it is they don’t have any cross over in tactics or ‘trade secrets’ and both clubs are ok with it and have signed off on it.
Agree it can look a little bit like conflict of interest but you wouldn’t think competing clubs would both be fine with it if there were anything to worry about.
Actually liked how Cronk held his own and called out that smug prick Rothfield

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
It's just a good orchestrated stoush to get the ratings up to kick the season off. Cronk has had a go at Reynolds and Buzz in the same week. Fox must be trying to build him up for something.
Nailed it! Fox League are shameless self promoters. This kind of thing engineered to generate click bait headlines on their own sports news page.

Pretty sad.

The crow

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 22, 2020
Big fan of 360. Kenty is a likeable fuck-wit.
Is it just me or are the Matt Nable voice over rev ups for Fox Sports starting to sound like Goulds nauseating pre-Origin rants?

<edit> Corrected name.
Not just you mate. I don't know who gives the ok for all this modern garbage we have to endure but I can't stand it. They drag it out way too much. They've lost touch with the lifelong fans

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
As he explained it he does analysis work for the Roosters which is his main role, and as a secondary role he mentors Jahrome Hughes for the storm mostly on zoom and a handful of times in person. The way he explained it is they don’t have any cross over in tactics or ‘trade secrets’ and both clubs are ok with it and have signed off on it.
Agree it can look a little bit like conflict of interest but you wouldn’t think competing clubs would both be fine with it if there were anything to worry about.
Rothfield was never a player at cap twisting clubs so wouldn’t understand...

I’m sure there are ‘unwritten rules’ ensuring an ongoing income for a token role to compensate for the work ‘above and beyond’ over his career at the Storm 💰💰💰. The Roosters would be well aware and very understanding of these obligations 😉

Cronk was just collecting and the Storm felt ‘obliged’ to help him out. I’m sure the ‘work’ was only a token gesture which is why everyone’s ok with it... 😉

Or maybe Rothfield as a journalist does actually understand ‘the system’ and is making a point...

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Bro how would you like it if Tony iro went to coach at another club right now 😏

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Bro how would you like it if Tony iro went to coach at another club right now 😏

But the way Cronk explained it, he's not working with a club, he's working with a player. And as of now I trust that the mentoring is of the "this is what any decent player in your position would do." variety, not the "this is how you give the Roosters boys the shits next time you play them." variety.

And as to Iro, what the fuck could he actually tell any club that would make them go "Shit, Tony, you're damn good value for money!"? On the basis of the results from his years with the Warriors, you do have to wonder.

Reactions: bruce and john nick

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Sometimes it comes off like Rothfield wants to find and issue when there isn't one. Or he just doesn't understand. I've forgotten how many times he's ranted about the salary cap only for someone to point out how it works cause he doesn't understand the finer details.

Have to admit I'm not a great fan of the episodes after a great player has retired and they talk about the one topic for an hour. Cameron Smith's retirement announcement took focus away from what they should of been discussing which was round 1 of the competition.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
WTF
Yvonne Sampson to take over from Ben Ikin on NRL 360 How does that dilly dame fit the bill?

I know I was wrong to doubt Peter O'Sullivan & Uncle Gus but I did apologise & this is just unfair punishment. Going to f'off now & sulk.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings