General NRL Expansion/Reduction

What is the ideal number of teams?

• Total voters

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
the question isnt if there is enough quality players, the question is does the comp want an even comp or are they rewarding some teams over others. Roosters cough cough.

I was thinking about this and a thought was that they should give the bottom 4 teams a larger payment of the cap to lure better players away from top tier teams. I had wondered about top 8 vs bottom 8 but that mid zone is very messy. Then they could tie in extra payments for teams that travel more.
So NZ, Cowboys and Storm.

But the best thing they could do is bring back the b level mens comp. There was never any shortage of players of quality around when that was strong.

However all these penalise teams in Sydney and i really cant see them letting this happen given how un level an advantage they have at the moment.

Reactions: Mr Dragon
the question isnt if there is enough quality players, the question is does the comp want an even comp or are they rewarding some teams over others. Roosters cough cough.

I was thinking about this and a thought was that they should give the bottom 4 teams a larger payment of the cap to lure better players away from top tier teams. I had wondered about top 8 vs bottom 8 but that mid zone is very messy. Then they could tie in extra payments for teams that travel more.
So NZ, Cowboys and Storm.

But the best thing they could do is bring back the b level mens comp. There was never any shortage of players of quality around when that was strong.

However all these penalise teams in Sydney and i really cant see them letting this happen given how un level an advantage they have at the moment.
The competition is really lopsided this year which will be a worry.

- top 8 decided with 3 weeks to go
- 3 teams with a 250+ pd; 2019 there were only 2 in a longer season
- 6 teams with 100+ pd; last year there were only 4
- 6 teams with -100+ pd; last year there were only 5 in a shorter competition.
- record -350 Pd for the Broncos

The blow outs and ‘predictability’ of games this year is a result of talent pooling in a few teams. That leads to less competitive teams, bigger margins and points to a smaller competition over the long term, not expansion.

The stats will be the thing that forces Vlandys to make positive changes.

Last edited: