General NRL Expansion/Reduction

What is the ideal number of teams?

• Total voters

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
the question isnt if there is enough quality players, the question is does the comp want an even comp or are they rewarding some teams over others. Roosters cough cough.

I was thinking about this and a thought was that they should give the bottom 4 teams a larger payment of the cap to lure better players away from top tier teams. I had wondered about top 8 vs bottom 8 but that mid zone is very messy. Then they could tie in extra payments for teams that travel more.
So NZ, Cowboys and Storm.

But the best thing they could do is bring back the b level mens comp. There was never any shortage of players of quality around when that was strong.

However all these penalise teams in Sydney and i really cant see them letting this happen given how un level an advantage they have at the moment.

Reactions: Mr Dragon
the question isnt if there is enough quality players, the question is does the comp want an even comp or are they rewarding some teams over others. Roosters cough cough.

I was thinking about this and a thought was that they should give the bottom 4 teams a larger payment of the cap to lure better players away from top tier teams. I had wondered about top 8 vs bottom 8 but that mid zone is very messy. Then they could tie in extra payments for teams that travel more.
So NZ, Cowboys and Storm.

But the best thing they could do is bring back the b level mens comp. There was never any shortage of players of quality around when that was strong.

However all these penalise teams in Sydney and i really cant see them letting this happen given how un level an advantage they have at the moment.
The competition is really lopsided this year which will be a worry.

- top 8 decided with 3 weeks to go
- 3 teams with a 250+ pd; 2019 there were only 2 in a longer season
- 6 teams with 100+ pd; last year there were only 4
- 6 teams with -100+ pd; last year there were only 5 in a shorter competition.
- record -350 Pd for the Broncos

The blow outs and ‘predictability’ of games this year is a result of talent pooling in a few teams. That leads to less competitive teams, bigger margins and points to a smaller competition over the long term, not expansion.

The stats will be the thing that forces Vlandys to make positive changes.

Last edited:
Wondering what you guys think if another NZ team was accepted into the NRL could it be similar to how a NY Yankees and NY Mets or a NY Giants or NY Jets is where two teams represent the same city with no real geographical boundaries in the city for each team other than the stadium. Similarly could you have a NZ warriors and an NZ orcas for example both based in Auckland but represent NZ as a whole? I just can’t see a Auckland warriors and say a Canterbury bulls working. The population numbers for Auckland would work better but could have both teams taking games to the rest of the country. I don’t see a Wellington or Christchurch based team working. Why not have two “NZ” national teams instead? Any thoughts?

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I am biased being a Cantabrian, but a team down here would definitely work. The population argument isn't a factor for me, we support our teams fiercely and we win.
The tough question is how to get recruits? Extremely unlikely they’d be competitive with only local players and Auckland as it is is a pretty tough sell, Christchurch (or anywhere else in NZ tbh) would be an even tougher sell. The climate alone has a pretty rough reputation

The tough question is how to get recruits? Extremely unlikely they’d be competitive with only local players and Auckland as it is is a pretty tough sell, Christchurch (or anywhere else in NZ tbh) would be an even tougher sell. The climate alone has a pretty rough reputation

I'm not sure how well you know the region or the climate but it isn't an issue when recruiting for other codes. Sure it gets cold but I wouldn't think Melbourne or Canberra would be much different in winter. The brand new fully enclosed stadium obviously wouldn't be effected by weather for games and if a player is put off by a frosty morning then they're probably not the kind of player you want in your squad tbh. It might be difficult recruiting to start with (just look at the Dolphins struggles) but I also think it might be an option for some of the kiwi players currently based in Australia that don't have much love for the Warriors.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I'm not sure how well you know the region or the climate but it isn't an issue when recruiting for other codes. Sure it gets cold but I wouldn't think Melbourne or Canberra would be much different in winter. The brand new fully enclosed stadium obviously wouldn't be effected by weather for games and if a player is put off by a frosty morning then they're probably not the kind of player you want in your squad tbh. It might be difficult recruiting to start with (just look at the Dolphins struggles) but I also think it might be an option for some of the kiwi players currently based in Australia that don't have much love for the Warriors.
Nz=cold to most Australians, South Island=extra cold, many of these guys start wearing jackets and gloves if it gets below 25.
Sure most of the perceptions of NZ from Aus aren’t exactly true they reman hard to break (people genuinely surprised id only experienced snow once in my life where I was from). CHCH still has a reputation overseas of being a bit of a mess after the earthquake.
Canberra is a bloody tough sell for most current players but the travel factor still puts it ahead of NZ, Melbourne has a lot more going for it than CHCH. Still think NZ 2 would be very difficult to recruit non NZers.

The good thing about a second nz team is that once you hit end of June July union shifts to all blacks and you would have free reign to hosting up to 2 nrl games a week in nz across the country. Npc is dead and the nrl could dominate that particular time of year in nz with 2 teams apart from your obvious home all blacks tests

Reactions: Rizzah and Fonzie

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
The good thing about a second nz team is that once you hit end of June July union shifts to all blacks and you would have free reign to hosting up to 2 nrl games a week in nz across the country. Npc is dead and the nrl could dominate that particular time of year in nz with 2 teams apart from your obvious home all blacks tests
Although the live attendance is a bit shit for NPC it still rates pretty good, gets a bit of provincial pride going as well as providing a valuable development pathway.
Wish the Lion red cup of the 90s was able to get off the ground, wonder where it would be now- likely a step below NSW/QLD cup but would have been great to at least have some semblance of a National comp

Reactions: snake77