General NRL Expansion/Reduction

What is the ideal number of teams?

• Total voters

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Would a second NRL team in Brisbane end the Warriors once and for all?

We struggle to attract or retain talent as it is without having to compete with another team with strong NZ and kiwi supporter base.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
There’s 15 other teams which prevent the Warriors attracting players from Australia, a 16th won’t make a difference until we start winning.

we start winning, season on season, playing exciting footy and the players will come. There’s no attraction for an NRL player to come to NZ ATM

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
There’s 15 other teams which prevent the Warriors attracting players from Australia, a 16th won’t make a difference until we start winning.

we start winning, season on season, playing exciting footy and the players will come. There’s no attraction for an NRL player to come to NZ ATM

Talents already spread pretty thin. I can imagine more of the top free agents and up and comers wanting to play in Brisbane. Especially the kiwi boys who enjoy massive support over there already and are usually our bread and butter when it comes to recruiting.

Reactions: bruce

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Would a second NRL team in Brisbane end the Warriors once and for all?

We struggle to attract or retain talent as it is without having to compete with another team with strong NZ and kiwi supporter base.

No but it will fuck with the success of some of the clubs in NRL whose requirement strategy for last few years has been completely Queenslanddriven.

Melbourne Storm success over last two decades has been with players from Brisbane area most notably Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk who both came from same junior club, North Devils.

With second team in Brisbane (Braves, Bombers, Jets, Spartans, Dolphins) they're not going to have that anymoreThose teams are completely fucked.

• Love
Reactions: bruce

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
I’m going with a break even response.
One sixteenth lift in competition versus spike in interest in League due to a new Team netting out any potential impact.

Optimism unhealthily restored. Done.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The Crushers were a disaster, just because the Murdoch family are involved in this idea changes nothing, a second Brisbane team will be a flop, the same as super league was. The Broncos will always have first call on the Queensland players so it will be another run of the mill club. WTF would any Broncos fan want to support another team?

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
The Crushers were a disaster, just because the Murdoch family are involved in this idea changes nothing, a second Brisbane team will be a flop, the same as super league was. The Broncos will always have first call on the Queensland players so it will be another run of the mill club. WTF would any Broncos fan want to support another team?
I respectfully disagree.

Brisbane Broncos aren't power house like they used to be and haven't been for long long time. There is an entire generation of kids out there growing up where the Brisbane Broncos has always been shit to them. I think second team in Brisbane somewhere will be huge attraction for most people twenty five and under just same as second NRL team in New Zealand knowing how shit NZ Warriors have been for so long ... ☹

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I respectfully disagree.

Brisbane Broncos aren't power house like they used to be and haven't been for long long time. There is an entire generation of kids out there growing up where the Brisbane Broncos has always been shit to them. I think second team in Brisbane somewhere will be huge attraction for most people twenty five and under just same as second NRL team in New Zealand knowing how shit NZ Warriors have been for so long ... ☹
Explain the Crushers success then...and the Murdoch's

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Crushers were culled by the Broncs not wanting another Brisbane team in the NRL peace deal, think they might have seen some success later own had they survived similar to how the cowboys did after a long period of shit.
There’s a solid number of anti Broncos people in Brisbane that would back another team- although I’d question why they didn’t jump on the Titans.
Think another Brisbane team could work but it’d have to have a clear identity which I’m not sure how that would work around the existing Broncos identity.
Whilst I think Brisbane 2 would add something I also think it would cannibalise the Broncos and Titans- I don’t think we will see the full house at Suncorp every weekend like some are claiming

Reactions: Defence and bruce

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
The Crushers were never going to work because at the time they entered competition their most direct rival, Brisbane Broncos, were still the defining team of that era. Nobody back then was going to support a second Brisbane team when single most successful team in NRL also happened to be in Brisbane. Not only that it was also shit name for team. They should of kept with The Wild Wild West theme Queensland seems to of adopted and gone for something like Wranglers, Rustlers, Rangers, Indians, Bandits, Braves, etc. It's why personally when Gold Coast were told they couldn't use Dolphin logo because of ongoing dispute with Redcliffe, I wish they went with their second option instead, Gold Coast Colts. I think it would of worked better for them as I really do believe marketing is most important thing in sports these days or to put it in another way do you really think after 25 years of constant fucking shit from Warriors do you really think we would all still be here following them if they were called "The Volcanoes" ? Or "The Lava Men" ? Hopefully whatever they decide to do, NRL gets it right this time ...

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
The Crushers were never going to work because at the time they entered competition their most direct rival, Brisbane Broncos, were still the defining team of that era. Nobody back then was going to support a second Brisbane team when single most successful team in NRL also happened to be in Brisbane. Not only that it was also shit name for team. They should of kept with The Wild Wild West theme Queensland seems to of adopted and gone for something like Wranglers, Rustlers, Rangers, Indians, Bandits, Braves, etc. It's why personally when Gold Coast were told they couldn't use Dolphin logo because of ongoing dispute with Redcliffe, I wish they went with their second option instead, Gold Coast Colts. I think it would of worked better for them as I really do believe marketing is most important thing in sports these days or to put it in another way do you really think after 25 years of constant fucking shit from Warriors do you really think we would all still be here following them if they were called "The Volcanoes" ? Or "The Lava Men" ? Hopefully whatever they decide to do, NRL gets it right this time ...
This cool club names theory doesn't explain the success of "the Storm", possibly the most ridiculous and embarrassing name in the history of sport. At least we don't have to go around with purple lightning bolts saying "I'm a storm" like a bunch of wankers.

Last edited:

Blindside

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2012
The NRL won't expand by just one team.
It would leave an uneven number of matches.
So it will be two or more.

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
I've noticed over the last 5 years or so the one eyed support for the Broncs has waned a fair bit, the club du jour for aspiring 1st graders seems to be the Rorters or the Storm. Quite surprising the number of Brisbane locals who support Sydney teams

Reactions: Defence and bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I've noticed over the last 5 years or so the one eyed support for the Broncs has waned a fair bit, the club du jour for aspiring 1st graders seems to be the Rorters or the Storm. Quite surprising the number of Brisbane locals who support Sydney teams
cant see the storm love continuing if Bellamy leaves, even if Cam Smith stays on in a coaching role somehow.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Story on NRL universe with Andrew johns calling on the NRL to let the weakest clubs go and play a 12 team comp. with Newcastle only joining the NRL in 1988 they're hardly one of old clubs like Souths that have been going and the amount of wooden spoons in succession a few years ago thought that was a bit rich.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Story on NRL universe with Andrew johns calling on the NRL to let the weakest clubs go and play a 12 team comp. with Newcastle only joining the NRL in 1988 they're hardly one of old clubs like Souths that have been going and the amount of wooden spoons in succession a few years ago thought that was a bit rich.
Newcastle were in the comp same time as Souths, 1908 or 9. Manly, the Dogs and the Sharks are the newbies from Sydney.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Had to look that up cos I've got plenty of time. Wikipedia says Newcastle Knights joined the NRL in 1988, 79 years after the Newcastle Rebels pulled out of a Sydney based comp to form their own. Still was a Newcastle team I guess, not the Knights though.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings