Signed From
Brisbane Broncos
Current Club
New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Status
Active

NRL: Balance key to NZ Warriors star Te Maire Martin's comeback from cursed 2023 season​

Te Maire Martin explains his recovery philosophy during 2023

NZ Warriors star Te Maire Martin has faced enough injuries to know what goes around usually comes around.
In 2019, while on contract with North Queensland Cowboys, he suffered a brain bleed that eventually forced him into premature retirement, before a stint in the Waikato club competition rekindled his NRL career with Brisbane Broncos two years later.
Crossing the Tasman to join the Warriors, he began the 2023 season as Shaun Johnson's preferred halves partner, but a broken leg again forced him to the sidelines, before he returned for a playoff run that ended with defeat to the Broncos in the preliminary final.
1712714739688.png

In a threeway battle for the No.6 jersey, Martin began this season in the reserves, but stepped back into first grade with an impressive performance against South Sydney Rabbitohs last weekend, barely missing a beat.
He reveals the key to riding the NRL injury rollercoaster is finding something away from the football field that brings you joy. In his case, that release is the ocean.
"Fishing and hunting keep me nice and happy," Martin admitted. "You've got to have a good balance of footy and away from footy.
"I've just hooked up a nice boat, so I've been fishing and keeping myself happy... keeping my partner happy with nice fish for dinner. I don't get too caught up in the footy, and not playing or playing.
"Last year's stint off the field just made me appreciate playing. I enjoy playing and if I can play first grade, even better."
Martin preaches the remedial qualities of salty seawater, as much for the soul as any physical wounds.

"A bit of fishing, with some diving at the end always makes it better," he said. "That kind of injury wasn't something you could prep for - hip drop, broken leg, you can't do much about it,
"I suppose I'm not getting any younger and should think about doing more recovery. At the moment, it's been alright, but it's only round five - we'll see, by Round 20, if I'm still saying the same thing."

He's cagey about his favourite fishing locations - "I can't tell you my spots... you don't want to go to my spots anyway, you can't find anything" - but admits he's tried to spread the love around his teammates.
"A few of the boys have been coming," he said. "We try to do it early in the week, when we get our day off, because as you get closer to games, you don't want to be thinking too much about other things."
One who hasn't taken up the invitation - yet - is fellow half Luke Metcalf, who has been his biggest rival for five-eighth selection. When Martin broke his leg last year, Metcalf took over and stamped his mark, earning a contract extension through 2026.
A hamstring injury allowed Martin to regain the jersey late in the season, but Metcalf was preferred to start this campaign, until he also broke his leg against Newcastle Knights last week.
"I know Luke will be pretty gutted," said Martin. "It sucks sitting on the sideline, watching the boys go well, especially when you have soldout games... he will know how fun it is to play in front of the home crowds when it's packed.
1712714777094.png

"It's a bit of mental drain, but it's a matter of trying to find something fun outside of footy that you enjoy and not get caught up too much in it."
That mindset has been key to Martin's reincarnation in the Warriors starting line-up.
"When you've got long-term injuries... we're training football scenarios each week and you're off doing more of a pre-season grind, and you're doing it by yourself often enough," reflected Warriors coach Andrew Webster.
"All of a sudden, you're fit enough and you get thrown back into football, and you get about two weeks before you're expected to hit the ground running right before playoffs. I thought Te Maire did a great job doing that, but even by his own standards, he had more in him.
"He carried an injury into that Broncos game and we had to rebuild him again over the pre-season. It's a hard slog for guys who are injured for that period of time, because you're missing so many reps, but I think he's handled it well."
When Metcalf eventually surfaces from his operation, the pair will undoubtedly compare notes on long rehab strategy.

"He hasn't even been to training and I'm not too sure when he'll be in," said Martin. "I don't think he even likes fishing... he's one of those people who doesn't like the dirty smell."

Last edited:
Seeing the article the other day with the caption "I'm not telling you my fishing spots" made me laugh. He sounds happy here hunting and fishing. Hopefully he sees out his career here.
I think he's happy just to be back playing NRL and back at home so can't see him leaving even if he's second choice 6 behind Metcalf in the future.
The podcast the other day, you could tell he's trying to leverage his NRL career to help set up some businesses for after his career i.e fishing Charters and advertiser's