Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Webby has Tohu playing like Yeo at the Pahs. Without Tohu we have to play a different style, which is good in some senses (Cleary last 20 mins of GF), which means SJ touches the ball first more.

I don't think moving Tohu to prop does anything for our style of play. My thinking would be more of, if he has to go off or Webby rests him, how does the style of play change and who do we want to see on the bench to accommodate this.

No don’t like it sorry- it takes away one of our strengths and adds nothing.
A few less minutes is likely but no need to change his role while he’s out there.

So why change numbers?
Tohu plays a very different role to our props.
The one and only game I caught at MSS was v Cronulla
Ale got turned back about ten metres in one of first hit ups playing prop

Best 17 and full squad
1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Berrysiah
4. Adam Pompey/Montoya
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Mitch Barnett
11. Ford
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Tevaga
16. Curran
17. CHT

18. TMM
19. Freddy Lussick
20. Montoya/Pompey
21. Edward Kosi
22. Tom Ale
23. Ronald Volkman
24. Bunty Afoa
25. Brayden Wiliame ?? Might medically retire him hopefully, not needed if he ain't gonna play back up and being injured most times
26. Demitric Sifakula
27. Ali Leiataua
28. No player signed
29. No player signed
30. No player signed

Roster spots open: 2

What they still need

The Warriors are just about at a full book and may head into 2024 without a single fresh face. That would have been a concern in years gone by, but this time, it's stability that could be excellent for a Warriors outfit who have outperformed all expectations in 2023.

They have had just a single loss so far in Viliami Vailea, and only have a single decision to make on Bayley Sironen.

Whether he earns a new deal or not remains to be seen, as does the potential promotions out of the development squad for the likes of Jacob Laban or Zyon Maiu'u.

Ultimately, the Warriors can hold off doing anything with their final two spots for the time being. This is a strong squad with depth in all the right areas, although there is an argument that a serious injury to Addin Fonua-Blakewould leave them a little short in the front row, so potentially that's where efforts will be focused for spots 29 and 30.

Couple of changes in what’s written here, Kepu gone so 3 spots left. Going to be an interesting offseason season with some teams like the storm having 7 spots to fill. Not a bad assessment though from zero tackle with the odd alteration here and there.

Last edited:
Webby has Tohu playing like Yeo at the Pahs. Without Tohu we have to play a different style, which is good in some senses (Cleary last 20 mins of GF), which means SJ touches the ball first more.

I don't think moving Tohu to prop does anything for our style of play. My thinking would be more of, if he has to go off or Webby rests him, how does the style of play change and who do we want to see on the bench to accommodate this.
Its Funny because when Luai went off and Cogger went on Nathan played a lot more at Second Reciever

If Tohu was able to perform at 90% capacity of what he did this year, I'd be more than happy for him to stay 13. If that's the goal, I hope we have a plan to reduce his minutes when we're up etc, as he looked really really tired in our last game.

Curran has seemed the odd man out this year, which sucks as I really love what he brings. If we were to let him leave, I do think that we make it happen asap so we can something out of him leaving early, and sorting out a trade etc.

I feel were one more signing away from shaking the comp up big time.

So why change numbers?
Tohu plays a very different role to our props.
I never said to change numbers. I'm just commentating that middle roles are very similar between props and locks these days anyway.
Just like AFB can ball play from prop, Tohu would be able to and has already when he has moved to prop.

I never said to change numbers. I'm just commentating that middle roles are very similar between props and locks these days anyway.
Just like AFB can ball play from prop, Tohu would be able to and has already when he has moved to prop.
So if we’re not changing numbers and not changing roles what r we changing?
And why are we changing it?

Definitely - having him show some of the aggressive form in NSW cup in top grade would be a awesome addition for us

August operation unfortunately, probably more like April >> https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2023/08/23/injury-report-barnett-and-tevaga-making-progress/
View attachment 1174

Are all ACL surgeries the same? is it 6/7 months absolute minimum from the op? (not including conditioning etc). I see Williamson is back at the Cricket WC six months after rupturing his ACL. Understandably a pretty big difference from batting to taking carries in the middle in NRL.
It sounds like the first season back from an ACL is getting your confidence back and then you hit the groove the season following.

So if we’re not changing numbers and not changing roles what r we changing?
And why are we changing it?
It also doesn't solve the problem of AFB injury cover. Tohu absolutely cannot be used as a battering ram. It's absurd we don't even have someone half assed like Lisone used to be. At least we could run him out there as a battering ram, we have absolutely no one who can take and give out the punishment.

Tohu has been playing prop all year. As mentioned, lock/prop is basically the same thing. Tohu just balls plays more. Tohu made meters all year hitting it up straight. Averaged well over 120m+ this season, I think most people forget that. He's been playing the role of our second prop. I can see him going to 60 minutes maybe next season, but won't be moving into the 10 jersey.

SJK2 - Lisone wasn't a battering ram prop, he made 1 hard run a game then tried to ball play. 100% couldn't deal punishment.. Bunty is a meat and spud prop with limited omph.

Rumours are Keppie is up for grabs. I don't like him much myself, reminds me too much of Evans or Hetherington, hot and cold. But he's a bit of an aggro type, many people are wanting that on this forum.

SUPER SMITH ON NRL RADAR

Wigan and England half Harry Smith has become the latest overseas star to appear on the radar of NRL clubs at a time when the code is desperately crying out for young playmakers.

The 23-year-old Smith made his full England debut earlier this year in a big win over France, scoring a try and kicking nine goals.

He has played more than 100 games for Super League giants Wigan and established himself as one of their best players, catching the eye of NRL clubs in the process as they prepare to launch a fresh raid on Super League.

Smith has one year remaining on his deal with Wigan and looks ripe for the picking. Crucially, his agent Iestyn Harris has Australian ties through Sam and Liam Ayoub, who worked with him on deals that delivered Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce to Newcastle.

Back