General NRL Blueprint For The Future

Where should the next NRL team come from?

• Sydney

• Perth

• Brisbane

• Adelaide

• NZ

• PNG

Results are only viewable after voting.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
NRL blueprint for the future
Tue 15 Dec, 2015, 10:38am
image.ashx

The NRL on Tuesday outlined a proposed blueprint to take the game forward over the next decade.

The plan, drawn up by the Head of Game Strategy and Development, Shane Richardson, is designed to improve player welfare and pathways, upgrade and strengthen the second tier and assist in protecting elite players from burnout.

The strategy will reduce costs for clubs, further grow the game outside the current reach and provide a new level of awareness regarding player welfare as they progress through the elite pathways.

Mr Richardson said Rugby League has an opportunity to extend its reach beyond its current footholds to country Australia, Affiliated States, New Zealand, Pacifica and ultimately internationally.

He said the strategy takes a "whole of game" approach to the challenges of the future.

The key recommendations include:

- Increasing the size of NRL squads to 36 players – including six rookies

- Restricting players from making their NRL debuts until the year they turn 19. No player to be signed with an agent until he is 17 - and contracts for these players should be for a maximum three-year term

- Restructuring the National Youth Competition into a state-based under-20 competition

- Introducing rookie contracts for the start of the 2018 season with each club allowed to sign three rookies each year on two-year contracts

- Revamping and upgrading the State League into a Platinum League to spread the footprint of the competition into all the areas that play Rugby League

- Easing player welfare by considering additional leave, creating a formal International window over an eight-year period and reducing the number of five-day turnarounds

Mr Richardson said the phasing out of the NYC and payments for under-18 players - along with a new business model for the second tier - would result in a $20 million saving for the NRL clubs.

There would be a significant increase in expenditure in the pathways and in particular the second tier by the NRL.

"We are looking to improve and extend the pathways not detract from them," Mr Richardson said.

Mr Richardson said a committee representing the State bodies would help determine the teams which take part in the Platinum League.

He said the models being shown during consultation for 11 teams in NSW competition were only examples to demonstrate how far the game could reach if the new League was established. But no determination had been made on the final makeup of the League.

"We want to give everyone the opportunity to play in the NRL – whether they come from the country, New Zealand, the Affiliated States, Pacifica or anywhere else in the world of Rugby League," Mr Richardson said.

"This strategy is not intended to squeeze anyone out of the game - it is designed to include more participants than ever before."

Mr Richardson rubbished suggestions that there had not been sufficient consultation on the blueprint.

He said meetings had been held with all stakeholders and that consultation was on-going.

"Further consultation with the RLPA and other interested parties will be held before any final decisions are made," he said.

"This is an exciting time for the game…we have an opportunity with the new broadcast rights deal to stretch our vision and allow the game to break out from some of the restraints of the past.

"Most importantly, we have started a discussion about the way forward and that has to be a positive start for the game."

https://www.nrl.com/nrl-blueprint-for-the-future/tabid/10874/newsid/91182/default.aspx

According to RadioSport, the Warriors will continue to have a Reserve Team and Under 20's based in the NSW Competitions.

Also discussed was moving SOO to the weekends and playing Internationals at the same time (involving England, the Kiwis, PNG and the Islands) as well as doing away with the ANZAC Test.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Also discussed was moving SOO to the weekends
I can't see that. One of the reasons it scores so well in the ratings is because it is midweek and nothing else is on. Put it on the weekend against league tests or even Bledisloe Cup and it will fade away.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I can't see that. One of the reasons it scores so well in the ratings is because it is midweek and nothing else is on. Put it on the weekend against league tests or even Bledisloe Cup and it will fade away.

Good. It's a fucking cancer on the game. Yeah, the games are a big deal in and of themselves, but they are a symptom of a huge problem. All of the Aussies only give a damn about a stupid State vs State game. If the NRL are truly keen on growing the game, they need to realise that the more they pander to Origin and ignore International Football, the more it hurts the game. If they truly want to 'grow the game', then the NRL/ARL/Head Drongos In Charge need to look at holding more international fixtures. Honestly, a Samoa v Tonga three match series could grow into a monster draw with time. The same could be said of a full international calendar. Now that the Kiwi's are finally in a position to compete with and beat the Kangaroos, now is the time to strike. Focus on international footy, relegate Origin to the glorified Australian Team selection trial that it SHOULD be.

As for the rest of their ideas, I'm incredibly sceptical. I'm at the point where another two bad seasons from the Warriors will probably see me walk away from league entirely. The entire game is a mess, from the officiating, to sending up to Perth (where the game finishes 2am NZ local time), to every stupid scandal. I'm just about sick of it and if this blueprint is heading where I think it is, which is a draft, I'm fucking done. A draft could mean players like the next Shaun Johnson end up playing for the Titans, through no choice of their own. A draft basically makes the Warriors a generic NRL entity that happens to be based in NZ, rather than OUR team. If we're going to fail, I'd rather it be through the clubs doing, rather than a broken Draft system. I mean, look at the AFL, the draft DOES NOT WORK. If the NRL want to even things out, do something about the unlimited third party payments situation.

Felt good to let that all out.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
Origin is moving to a 21 day format for 2018 and beyond;
Game 1 Wednesday
10 days later game 2 (Saturday)
Game 3, 10 days later on Wednesday

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
State of Ordinary can get fucked just glorified ozzy garbage. Hyped to the point nothing else matters, just bs.

Always tinkering with rules and making new stipulations yearly to the detriment of International league and the Warriors

Now that they realize the Kiwis can compete on a regular basis and quality players to choose from they cull the Anzac test not to mention all the rule changes when the Warriors were reinventing certain aspects.. they're shitting themselves.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
I'm at the point where another two bad seasons from the Warriors will probably see me walk away from league entirely.
Don't be a dick Fazz. The Kiwis were underdogs for several decades and now are a legit #1 ranked team and don't it feel good to be a supporter after all the hidings, from that there'll be a knock on effect for the Warriors and JD has already poised us to take advantage of that.

Horriors2014

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2014
Here's my interpretation. They've widened the squad for a couple of reasons. One, the increased cap keeps the gifted players in the game. Two, it means the player wages don't inflate too much as it has to cover more players.

They still make the calendar suit Aussie. They're not serious about growing the game (no surprises there).

I see a potentially big problem. If there is a lot more cash available, but they're increasing squad sizes, to the marquee players it may look like a slap in the face. They might be expecting a payrise but get told the extra cash goes to buying more players.

Then at the other end, an age limit on signings leaves the Warriors vulnerable again. It seems they're phasing out NYC because Warriors own it. Although I see good reasons for change in that the quality isn't great. We just like talent-spotting.

At the end of the day the NRL is a corporate. It operates like one.

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Kind of agree with the previous posts about Origin. It is too big and actually holds back the rest of the code. Agreed about the larger squads balancing out the cap increases - this is a good thing. The cap is too high at the moment - the stronger clubs just keep getting stronger while the lesser clubs are forced to pay overs for mediocre players. It is no good having the Titans or Raiders pay player B $800k a season and the Roosters or Broncos pay player A $400k a season when player A is twice as good as player B. That is where the game is at right now and it is ruining the product and making a mockery of the cap.
I disagree about the draft. Drafts work perfectly fine in most sports - think US sport. Someone used Shaun Johnson as an example earlier in that he might end up at the Titans etc. Couple of things to think about - Shaun debuted in 2011, the same year as Daly Cherry Evans, Boyd Cordner, Aaron Woods, Josh Reynolds, Josh Papali'i, Dane Gagai and James Roberts among others. There is some serious talent in that list. So while there is no guarantee the Warriors could get Johnson in a draft, they could definitely get someone else. Johnson plays the minimum two years for the Titans, learns his game and can sign as a free agent with the Warriors at a later date. It is pro sport.
I know this is a Warriors forum but you have to look past what is best for your own team and look at what is best for the competition. I think a draft would be great. The Warriors have been rubbish since 2011 so presumably would have had high draft picks - they may have been able to stack their team with talent from the draft. Three rookies per year and six players max on a two-year rookie contract remember.
In this part of the world we need to learn to support the club rather than the individual. I don't want to see a Warriors team full of Kiwis - that's what international rugby league is for. The Warriors ARE a generic team that is based here. That is the whole model of franchise sport. If you want to be all patriotic support the Kiwis and demand more international league - which it appears is genuinely being pursued I might add. Boston Red Sox fans are as proud of their baseball team as NZers are of the All Blacks. Difference being though is that Red Sox fans would be happy to have the best players from Texas, California, the Dominican Republic, Mexico or even New York playing rather than a team full of players from Boston. It is about getting pro players that will come to a franchise and play their hearts out. I enjoyed watching Michael Luck play for the Warriors as much as I enjoy watching Jones, Vatuvei or Johnson. I doubt any of them were any more committed than Luck.
And don't for a second think any of these proposed changes has anything to do with taking away NZ's power. We have NO power at all in their eyes. We have a decent international team but their priority is the NRL competition (and rightly so).

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
how does scrapping the NYC work with the requirements for broadcasters rights. Will it be replaced with more NSWcup games?

Sitting in Melb i can see this hurting the sport down here big time. Its already a minor sport, but one of the big draw cards for young guns is to be out there getting face time on the big screen. They have just started to produce some great local talent, but now where is the drive coming from? I also thought the NYC would work in Adelaide and Perth for the same reason, it was a slow long term development plan.

Now the 19 yr olds will be going up against men, in the state comp. To compare to the US as play the ball did, this is like cancelling college ball and making them go straight to the majors. Some will make it, for sure, but i rekon less and with more and worse injuries.

Re the quality of the NYC games themselves, IMO the problem was that they only ever played attacking football, NYC didnt have much of a concept of defense, which made it into a big game of bullrush with the biggest boys always dominating. The solution was to alter their style of play not ditch the game.

As a fan i feel let down. With no B grade comp, and no NYC, im left with one game a week where i get to support my team, my town, etc. this feels like i am having something taken away, as there is no way a state team comp compares to watching the best play off.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Don't be a dick Fazz. The Kiwis were underdogs for several decades and now are a legit #1 ranked team and don't it feel good to be a supporter after all the hidings, from that there'll be a knock on effect for the Warriors and JD has already poised us to take advantage of that.

I'm not being a dick. I am just at the point where I struggle to enjoy NRL games. It's not even just when we're losing like the end of the season, all year I was less invested than I've ever been. A lot of it comes down to stupid administrative decisions by the NRL too. Sending us to Perth when it's clearly not an even playing field, idiotic rule changes, etc, etc.

Reactions: Rotang and smc

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
how does scrapping the NYC work with the requirements for broadcasters rights. Will it be replaced with more NSWcup games?

Sitting in Melb i can see this hurting the sport down here big time. Its already a minor sport, but one of the big draw cards for young guns is to be out there getting face time on the big screen. They have just started to produce some great local talent, but now where is the drive coming from? I also thought the NYC would work in Adelaide and Perth for the same reason, it was a slow long term development plan.

Now the 19 yr olds will be going up against men, in the state comp. To compare to the US as play the ball did, this is like cancelling college ball and making them go straight to the majors. Some will make it, for sure, but i rekon less and with more and worse injuries.

Re the quality of the NYC games themselves, IMO the problem was that they only ever played attacking football, NYC didnt have much of a concept of defense, which made it into a big game of bullrush with the biggest boys always dominating. The solution was to alter their style of play not ditch the game.

As a fan i feel let down. With no B grade comp, and no NYC, im left with one game a week where i get to support my team, my town, etc. this feels like i am having something taken away, as there is no way a state team comp compares to watching the best play off.
There will be age grade footy just not an NYC-style comp which the clubs pay for. A draft will place significantly more emphasis on young players - it will be massive television time, big tv draft night extravaganza, plenty more interest (comparative to now) for those age grade competitions because the next NRL stars are being watched and scouted by clubs and fans via media. I have barely watched NYC since I stopped being a beat writer - too much sport to fit everything in. I'd settle for quick glimpses or catching the end of games before the main game started. Having kids playing domestically or in NSW/Qld Cup age grade sides is not such a bad thing - pathways are still there but the cost is not incurred by the clubs. You might find more kids playing at that age grade now because you don't need to have secured an NYC contract to be drafted into an elite side. Admittedly it will mean more kids stay playing rugby union in this country as the lure of NYC $$ won't be there as early. Other than that, I don't see too many downfalls with it.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
all year I was less invested than I've ever been
Yeah I am also less invested in spending time watching the NRL but still manage to stream the warriors and kiwis matches without fail. So far the Kiwis have made it worth while and this will be a bumper season for the Warriors.. perhaps even a watershed season for the club.

Reactions: bruce

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
The problem with comparing a draft system in the NRL with something like the NFL is the size of the two competitions. The minimum starting salary for a rookie in the NFL next year is $450k, certainly makes packing up and moving away from home a shit load easier than what the NRL pays, a whole $250k across the whole top 20 squad in the under 20's. Plus most rookies in the NFL have already had four years at college, where here many of the kids that would be picked have probably only ever lived with family.The competition is just too small to expect all 19 year old kids to pack up and move to somewhere like Townsville or Canberra for peanuts. I don't see it working.

NFL MINIMUM SALARIES FOR 2015 AND THE VETERAN CAP BENEFIT RULE
BY MICHAEL GINNITTI • FEB 2, 2015 • 40 COMMENTS
inShare2

Each year the NFL minimum salaries increase by $15,000, up to $435k for a rookie in 2015. A player’s minimum salary is determined by his years of experience (YOE), ranging from 0 to 10 or more. The chart below shows the minimum (P5) salaries a team can contract a player to based on Years of Experience (credited seasons).

Yrs. 2015 2016 2017 2018
0 $435,000 $450,000 $465,000 $480,000
1 $510,000 $525,000 $540,000 $555,000
2 $585,000 $600,000 $615,000 $630,000
3 $660,000 $675,000 $690,000 $705,000
4-6 $745,000 $760,000 $775,000 $790,000
7-9 $870,000 $885,000 $900,000 $915,000
10+ $970,000 $985,000 $1,000,000 $1,015,000

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Rookies will be on at least a minimum NRL salary which is close to $100K now and will presumably go up by the time this initiative kicks in. Teams can only draft a maximum of three players each year so we are talking a grand total of 48 players rather than the 300 or so that currently comprise the NYC comp. Those kids that are drafted will be looked after well financially - not get the small salaries that the NYC caters for now. Less kids will get pro contracts but those that do will be well looked after.

Reactions: OMG and brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Rookies will be on at least a minimum NRL salary which is close to $100K now and will presumably go up by the time this initiative kicks in. Teams can only draft a maximum of three players each year so we are talking a grand total of 48 players rather than the 300 or so that currently comprise the NYC comp. Those kids that are drafted will be looked after well financially - not get the small salaries that the NYC caters for now. Less kids will get pro contracts but those that do will be well looked after.
There's merit in that, is this the official policy and how the proposed changes would work?

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
That's what I've read in the proposal. People are miss-interpreting the abolishing of the NYC. There will still be pathways and comps for kids under the age of 19/20 - they just won't be teams run and paid for by the NRL clubs. A draft will probably see an increase in the amount of interest in junior comps.

Reactions: OMG

Maraea

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Honestly I don't see much relevance to any league organisation operating outside of Australia. Possibly it would strengthen the international game by taking the Aussies out of it. If they were to implement these ideas they'd be so busy arguing and organising and committeeing (I don't think that's a word never mind) another layer that they wouldn't have time for anything else. SOO would change to include WA, SA, Victoria perhaps? And they would SOO 4 times a year or more. No time for international games there for Australia. Sorry, my mind wanders. That article stinks of Amex - I'm sooo sick of Platinum, he could have at least come up with another name

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
........... and committeeing (I don't think that's a word never mind) .........
They say there's a rule, if you use a word, that may not have been used before, but the audience understands what it is and what you meant, you just made up a new word ;-)........

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Draft won't work for the exact reason surfin suggested.
$100k is too much to me paying rookies but also not enough to expect all of them to be prepared to uproot and go.
It's easy to say that the offer to live away from home to play pro ball for $100k is awesome. (Personally I would love the opportunity) but it's just not suitable for everyone.
You run the risk of pushing talented young players out of the sport. (I'm sure Union will accept them).

Reactions: surfin

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
I'm not saying that won't happen in some cases but the proposed system will work fine. I'm sure there are talented kids living in the back blocks now that won't move to the big smoke for $10K a year and bag of potato chips to play in the NYC. I don't hear anyone complaining that the current system is flawed in that sense. The vast majority of kids that are serious about being professionals will be better off under the proposed system. We aren't talking about the 300 kids playing in the NYC having to go into the draft - only the elite ones. They can't have more than 48 in any one season.
Will a disgruntled kid, that refuses to enter the draft, go off and play rugby instead? Maybe but who cares? Other talented rugby players might be persuaded to come to the other side of the fence. At the end of the day - the overwhelming influence on which sport a kids chooses will be how good the competition is overall and the financial package that comes with it. Rugby league going down this path will have raised the bar considerably so the game will be in a much better state.

Reactions: OMG

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings