General NRL 2021 Round 6 - General Discussion

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
He’s mostly played prop/lock off the bench this season. Played on edge tonight because Nuikore (who is the usual bench second rower) is playing center
That's his 4th game starting in the second row this year (Sharks, Tigers, St george, Raiders). He's replaced Matterson the last 4 weeks.

Nuikore has only played centre so far this year (4 games)

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
While the lower teams haven't got the wins this round has been crucially important for the good of the comp. Good to see Manly, Broncos and Tigers really show that any team can win

Reactions: Worried2Death

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
Shit, just watched the parra game highlights.

Does anyone else find it alarming that we let papalii go? From a talent standpoint, our club wasn’t able to see his talent and/or didn’t know how to get the best out of him

he’s basically their version of Tohu Harris, but at about a third of the price. One of the buys of the season, along with CNK a few years back

Admittedly, I didn’t see this version of papalii for years, but I am no league/coaching expert

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013

Does anyone else find it alarming that we let papalii go? From a talent standpoint, our club wasn’t able to see his talent and/or didn’t know how to get the best out of him

he’s basically their version of Tohu Harris, but at about a third of the price. One of the buys of the season, along with CNK a few years back

Admittedly, I didn’t see this version of papalii for years, but I am no league/coaching expert
Parra play a very fast brand of football and papa is incredibly fit. He suits their team well. I don't think he would be able to play like that with the warriors

Teeps4Shore

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 17, 2021

We can’t keep everyone and players like CNK and Papalii have their potential unlocked in different systems. Would you have rather we kept Papa but not signed Addin Fonua-Blake? No.. didn’t think so. Glad they are playing well - but we move on.

Reece Walsh will add something when he comes into the side - i reckon in 2 weeks against manly is when he will debut. I bet on the wing to start...We need to inject some pace!

Can’t wait to see who we sign for 2022...

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
That's his 4th game starting in the second row this year (Sharks, Tigers, St george, Raiders). He's replaced Matterson the last 4 weeks.

Nuikore has only played centre so far this year (4 games)
I still think his first two games when he came on in the middle were better than his recent games in the second row.

In my opinion, he’s a better player in the middle. And there was talk that he preferred to play second row, which was one of his reasons for leaving, which was put to bed last night with that interview.

Nuikore would be in the second row if it wasn’t for the Blake injury. He was second row cover all of last year. But they’re obviously light in the centres with no Jennings.

Coops

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Sticky said something post game last night that resonated with me. In commenting on lack of effort of some canberra players - "they think putting on an NRL jumper makes them an NRL player" (paraphrasing). Would this be a good summation of the Warriors attitude in years gone by... The difference in Papa is actually alarming and not a good look for warriors culture.

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
Would you have rather we kept Papa but not signed Addin Fonua-Blake? No.. didn’t think so. Glad they are playing well - but we move on.

It was never a tossup between Addin Fonua-Blake and him. We are carrying a few more ordinary forwards that could have moved on instead of papalii.

anyway I am glad for them as well, and that they are unlocking their potential. I’d just prefer if we knew how to unlock players better

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012

Think at the time both Katoa and Murchie we're considered to have bigger ceilings.....and tbh based on form last year it was probably the right call.

Papali'i was such a plodder last year, seriously looked like he was wearing concrete boots at times, he was much more bulky tho......a victim i think cause we werent a huge pack of a philosophy of turning our oompa's into short squat tanks, which imo messed with his speed, mobility and explosiveness (remember because of his power lifting he already had these attributes)

Too me he looks a different body shape this year....a lot leaner, and looks to have regained that explosiveness - 23 tackle breaks in 6 games already more than his entire last season a testament to this.

Would he be displaying the same sort of form for us if hed stayed.....under a Kearney regime...no way. Would the current coaching staff had the nous to change his conditioning....will never know.

Glad for him tho, has always seemed to have a good head on young shoulders.....good for the Kiwi's too.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings