Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I don't get this. Why are we playing a different style to start with? Do other teams do this? I don't see it. Surely we set a structure and work through preseason towards that and then make tweaks during the season depending on injuries and opposition. This sounds like a whole new direction?

ajofbrisbane

1st Grade Fringe
May 17, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
I don't get this. Why are we playing a different style to start with? Do other teams do this? I don't see it. Surely we set a structure and work through preseason towards that and then make tweaks during the season depending on injuries and opposition. This sounds like a whole new direction?

Hopefully by different style he means a faster, deeper attack with angles and option runners, and a faster up in your face defence. We seemed pedestrian compared to the Rooters on the weekend.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Yes the good teams build into thier season, I've heard Trent Robinson speak of this sort of stuff, it's just when the warriors say these things they usually fall on thier face.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Yes the good teams build into thier season, I've heard Trent Robinson speak of this sort of stuff, it's just when the warriors say these things they usually fall on thier face.
building in to a season I get. Fundamentally changing your structure or style is completely different isn't it?

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Yep. Go and look at the play the ball speed stats for the middles on nrl.com. Tells the story
Hey fonzie, so when the defense is quick and up in your face like that, what should be plan B? That's where the warriors get stuck under fatigue is to switch the game plan up a bit?

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Hey fonzie, so when the defense is quick and up in your face like that, what should be plan B? That's where the warriors get stuck under fatigue is to switch the game plan up a bit?
Go a few passes out wider. Even if they continue to rush at least their whole line will tire instead of 2 or 3 llayers sprinting up at a time. The worst thing you can do is 1 out hit ups expecting to still gain metres

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
There's no magic solution mate. You can throw a few passes wider, but of course every pass gives the defence more time to move up on you.

Going up in 2s and 3s (decoys) so the defence has to worry about multiple possible ball carriers can help stop them rushing up, even if you don't pass.

But what you really need is a couple of dirty carries from guys who can get some post contact metres and draw in 3+ defenders; it gets the defence rolling back, with more guys peeling off and moving laterally back into position, which buys some space for the next runner. Its why Addin Fonua-Blake is probably our most important player at the moment.

Every team has periods where they are losing the middle; the good teams weather it with good defence, and eventually the tide turns (and when it does, the good teams score points)

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Yep. Go and look at the play the ball speed stats for the middles on nrl.com. Tells the story
Which reinforces the fact we got our tactics wrong going in with two players and they went in with three. They slow the play the ball down and get reset. We let them get up quicker and we don't reset in time.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
There's no magic solution mate. You can throw a few passes wider, but of course every pass gives the defence more time to move up on you.

Going up in 2s and 3s (decoys) so the defence has to worry about multiple possible ball carriers can help stop them rushing up, even if you don't pass.

But what you really need is a couple of dirty carries from guys who can get some post contact metres and draw in 3+ defenders; it gets the defence rolling back, with more guys peeling off and moving laterally back into position, which buys some space for the next runner. Its why Addin Fonua-Blake is probably our most important player at the moment.

Every team has periods where they are losing the middle; the good teams weather it with good defence, and eventually the tide turns (and when it does, the good teams score points)
I also believe that’s where a forward with some late footwork and some ball playing ability is invaluable-as evidenced by Tohu’s stats. They hold the defence up for that fraction longer and leave them unable to commit 3 players to the tackle while everyone else drops back.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
I also believe that’s where a forward with some late footwork and some ball playing ability is invaluable-as evidenced by Tohu’s stats. They hold the defence up for that fraction longer and leave them unable to commit 3 players to the tackle while everyone else drops back.
Agree and the other thing with late footwork is it lets a middle get into a little crease between defenders so they cant hold him up/position him how they want and slow down the play the ball.

Much as I love Bunty that's his 'work-on' - he runs direct and upright and his power gets him through contact, but his positioning suffers and he can held up and slowed down in the ruck

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
For any strategy to be effective you’ve first gotta match or better your oppositions intensity, something we failed to do particularly at the ruck against them. That’s an attitudinal thing and a historical Warriors trait.

Reactions: CHURCUZ and Fonzie

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Agree and the other thing with late footwork is it lets a middle get into a little crease between defenders so they cant hold him up/position him how they want and slow down the play the ball.

Much as I love Bunty that's his 'work-on' - he runs direct and upright and his power gets him through contact, but his positioning suffers and he can held up and slowed down in the ruck
I‘d add Ken And Fus to that also, Ken seems to have lost that late footwork at the line which was working well for him.

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney Rate Match

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.2 Total Avg Rating
7.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.9
    Peta Hiku

Compiled from 19 ratings