Post Match NRL 2021 - Round 4 - Roosters vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
Lance155

Lance155

Yeah and all your posts lately are all "stop commenting bad things about my favourite players, all the pessimism on this forum is affecting me, I'm happy with being mediocre blah blah".

Fair enough if you want to keep the rose tinted glasses on, but if you get so easily triggered by reading a negative opinion about this team then i suggest staying off the forum.

And we were bad in every aspect. I don't what know what game you were watching. Every team in the eight would've beaten that Roosters side, stop putting them on a pedestal. But oh well at least we're not the Cowboys aye.
To be fair though this Forum is insanely bipolar when it comes to wins and losses. Sometimes I wonder if it is a different group or people who post depending on the result. I struggle to believe the same person can have such different views in a week

Reactions: 9 users
defensivebomb

defensivebomb

Funnily enough, I’d actually like Kearney to come back as a defensive coach.

Unfortunately that’s out of the question because the ego tripping owner called him out for being too boring.

And how crazy is it that we threw a long-term chequebook at Fusitua and Maumalo? Madness

Reactions: 1 users
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

They were faster and smarter. We all knew they would be and it panned out exactly how it should have. We are better than we were this time last year and there are some positives to take away but there is a shit load of work to do and some tough decisions that NB is going to have to make....

Jazz and Fusitua are past their best buy dates and need to be punted. Someone, and at this point I don't care who, needs to spell Egan. My 1st choice would be Chanel Harris-Tavita he would make a gun 9 with a little bit of work but in his absence, literally anyone. Could Paul Turner spell at 9?

We missed Hiku, he seems to the only truly creative player in our backline other than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Montoya did well in defense but was obviously gassed through lack of exposure, I would stick with him.

Ken? I just don't know. We can't punt both wingers and even though he was shit tonight he is playing injured. I think if it was a choice, based on the 4 games to date Ken stays over Fusitua.

If we can stay in contention of the 8 until we get Hiku, Aitkin and Chanel Harris-Tavita back I believe we could have a strong 2nd half of the season. The PD hurt tonight, hopefully we can claw some back in the next few rounds against some teams worse off than us.
This is where I'm at. I'd rather have Chanel Harris-Tavita at 14/9 as his defence is drastically improved.

I'm not blind either so share the same viewpoints as others about our wingers.
Pompey has been trying his heart out so he gets a pass for another week.

Reactions: 1 user

TheSultan

Haha you said we as a team are bad in every aspect. We lost to the Roosters FFS. Thats so reactionary to a loss to arguably the second best team of the last decade. Its got nothing to do with rose tinted glass but a realistic expectation for where were at as a club. Its not about turning a blind eye to our short comings but having a balanced view...something Im glad our coaches have that you cleary dont.

Haha you think the Sharks and the Dragons would of beaten the Roosters last night???? Um OK 👍 Knights and Titans would of also struggled and those four teams are the level were currently at.

I havent posted anything about “dont slag off this or that player”...all Ive said is the expectation alot on this forum have and equally the disappointment and reactions to being 2/4 is a way over the top. Did you honestly think were a Top 6 side already?!!!!

But hey your the Ora’cool so we should all just listen and react like you.

Cool, noted 👍

Panther

The attack and ball movement wasn’t too bad in the first half. It definitely faded but the 2nd half attack was pretty similar to how we were scoring tries against the Gold Coast.

mrblonde

mrblonde

Tbh looking at our draw i think the next several weeks are going to be pretty good for us, however if we think the same tactics we'll roll out against the Cowboys or Bronco's and co will do us the job against Melbourne or Roosters......we'll never progress past mid table.

Seems to be a theme of satisfaction that at least we're better than Manly, Cowboys blah blah......hopefully thats not the yardstick Brownie and co are aiming for.

Internally, absolutely not. Publically, they've got to roll out the "we've got to learn what it takes to be a Top 8/Top 4 team. " lines. Manage the public expectations and mix that with a fair amount of truth.

Manly won't be as easy as you'd like to think. Okay, they just suffered their worst ever defeat at Brookvale, but it was the Panthers. I'd say things moved from 70/30 to 60/40 in our favour. At best.

Always expected we'd be 2/4. Expected to lose both the Raiders and Roosters game. Yes, unhappy that we were 12-4 up and lost it 12-32. Knew it would be a long night when Addin went off. Really think we need to blood someone at hooker. Egan might become a reliable 80M hooker, but he's not there yet. Turner's possibly the best bet if Kemple's not available for whatever reason (not Top 30, IIRC?).

Reactions: 2 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

2nd year syndrome?
Looks like he has changed body size. Could be 10kgs lighter?

Appears to be lacking impact both on attack and defence. Last year averaged 99m per game. This year averaging only 61m. Last year a try almost every 2 games (6/13). This year 0/4. Last year 2.5 tackle breaks per game, this year 0.3. 😞

If it is conditioning it will unfortunately take a while to change. Big fan last year but Murchie is looking better at the moment.

Reactions: 5 users
BeastMode

BeastMode

We were locked in and very competitive for the first 20-30mins

the repeat sets late in the first absolutely drained our energy and we had nothing left in the second half. Our step and fluidity vanished on attacked. Confidence looked shot.

I keep saying this like a broken record. Pompey and Montoya are wingers. They are not centres. They don’t know how to create breaks and set up their outside man. Roosters exploited that well. We had 4 wingers last night, it’s no wonder we couldn’t do anything on attack.

I think chin up boys. We’re not as diabolical as the other clubs. Players are still putting in the hard work. We have a solid forward pack. Average halves (at best) but our centres and wings are killing us.

Reactions: 9 users

Tim burgess

Don‘t believe dropping Fusitua or Ken as a kick up the backside is going to make a difference. These guys just aren’t equipped to handle the way the game is being played by the top half dozen sides in the comp.

If not for lengthy contracts I could see them both playing Super League, the gap between what these guys bring and what‘s required now from wingers is only getting wider.
For along time I've felt the Warriors need to change the style of wingers.

Against the better teams the lack of zip in the back line finds the Warriors out.

However, for me yesterday was a good indicator of how far away the Warriros are. As a positive, the effort was tremendous and didn't really drop off for the 80 minutes.

One observation is that we need some Injection of pace coming off the bench to give Egan a rest and change up the play

Reactions: 4 users
pompower

pompower

So put Kodi there? I think it would a be highway for oppo forwards to run down.

My bad mate, not saying I've got a solution either tbh! I don't mind the idea of Kodi at 14 as long as we have players like Harris to mind him on defence. The problem is that I don't know if we have a better 6 than Kodi unless we're going all in on Turner, which it seems like the coaches aren't going to do (not just yet at least). Our halves combination is a real problem right now and it puts pressure on the rest of the team. Next season, without Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, really worries me.

6Again

Concerns me that the Roosters last night showed every other side in the Nrl how we can be rolled, Canberra to an extent the week before.

Didn’t hear it myself but this strategy of only committing 2 players to the tackle is just bizarre. No control of the ruck, no control over the speed of the game. What I saw was too many Roosters standing in the tackle and dishing the ball off - net result, our legs go as time compounds the issue.

Like to see us get back to locking up the ball and putting the player on their back or I don’t see us even mid-table by the end of the season, with the shortcomings in our roster we have a certain game plan that’s effective for us. We shouldn’t be diverging from that too much.

Reactions: 4 users
Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon

I think we have done well without a real hooker, Wade Egan is the slowest hooker in the NRL, goes well with the slowest wingers in the NRL.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
After watching the replay it was really anyones game with 30mins to go. We spent 5mins down on their line, set after set taking hitups off the ruck. That just doesn't get it done against a well drilled quality defensive side like the Roosters. They flipped the switch, went 100m and scored.
That was really the straw that broke the camels back, and we unraveled from there.

Our middles are doing a lot of good work and keeping us in games. Our spine and outside backs are really letting their middles down.

Oh well on to next week, hopefully a more complete performance against Manly.

Reactions: 11 users
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Team for next week

Tuivasa-scheck
Perham
we need backs that have a crack
This is the man you want in your team when those cracks appear 🤣
22F6DDB2 F153 479B 91AC 7FB448C98DB7

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
jonesy101

jonesy101

Didn’t hear it myself but this strategy of only committing 2 players to the tackle is just bizarre. No control of the ruck, no control over the speed of the game. What I saw was too many Roosters standing in the tackle and dishing the ball off - net result, our legs go as time compounds the issue.
Jazz said it during the post match interview.

Thought he gave a pretty fair assessment of where things went wrong.

Reactions: 6 users
BeastMode

BeastMode

I think we have done well without a real hooker, Wade Egan is the slowest hooker in the NRL, goes well with the slowest wingers in the NRL.

Injury prone with his skinny build and having to mix it up with 120kg props.

He needs to bulk up

BeastMode

BeastMode

Jazz said it during the post match interview.

Thought he gave a pretty fair assessment of where things went wrong.

I hope he also owned up to those stupid penalties in the first half which killed our momentum...

And that stand there and wait approach on defense has to STOP. Especially close to our line. There was no suffocating defense. We gave their backs way way way too much room to move.

How many times did we see Tedesco skipping around horizontally looking for an opening while our line defense just stood there and watched???? It was driving me nuts. I was literally screaming at the TV - someone get him!!!!

Reactions: 3 users