General NRL 2021 Round 1 - General Discussion

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Would hate the warriors to entertain the thought of getting Dufty.

Well get a nice big glass of haterade ready because there's no doubt they're entertaining it. Not saying they'll make an offer but I'm sure his name will get a mention.

Like I said when his name was first bought up, he's the type of fullback that would go well with us but his defusing of kicks is very poor. Need that type of fullback but with safer hands.

Reactions: Tragic

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Round 1 complete and looking to the next round.

Some interesting matchups that will efine the positions on the ladder:

Eels vs Storm - two top teams hammering it out

Titans vs Broncos - Titans need to prove the hype and that they are top 8 material. Broncos need to prove they will be competitive.

Cows vs Dragons - crucial game for the spoon race. Whoever loses, the seasons looking bleak.

Warriors vs Knights - two contenders for top 8 both with solid packs. Expect lots of marketing around our coach and his history!

Roll on round 2

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
AK
I watched all the games this weekend (must have been starving for League) and looking at last years end of season table where we finished 10th I’m predicting we should finish 7th or 8th this year. Oh yeah Ive drunk the Kool Aid! But seriously given no major travel for the first half of the season and the fact we are playing a low error style of football which should lead to some consistency - we should be able to dismantle plenty of those teams who were 7th through 14th last year. Didn’t see anything to suggest we could push our way past last years Top 6 although Parra may go for a slide- but going from 10th to 7th YOY would be nice! First test of this is last years #7s the Knights I guess...

Reactions: Worried2Death

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2014
Isn't it great that we aren't wishing we had Todd Payten right now
His post game presser was brutal. I know we gave him wraps for his honestly last year, but to publicly out one of your best players in a public forum...might not be the best thing if you’re trying to win over the locker room.

You match that up with how Bronwy handles himself...might have been the best choice after all.

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
His post game presser was brutal. I know we gave him wraps for his honestly last year, but to publicly out one of your best players in a public forum...might not be the best thing if you’re trying to win over the locker room.

You match that up with how Bronwy handles himself...might have been the best choice after all.
Also thought there was some residual non-sensical Kearney in the mix - strange selections in the spine (put Val in FB and leave him there, Drinkwater to 6 and Morgan half), stubbornly limiting their one forward weapon’s time - only one round in but feeling quite pleased to have Browny and crew...

Reactions: Tragic

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
Agreed. I'm not convinced softly-spoken leaders, who are Polynesians, (like JT), respond well to that sort of brutal call-out. Time will tell I guess

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Sowie's got us in the 8, hard to argue with his rankings. Still a huge gap between top 4 or 5 and the rest. Us and the Tits are on the up from from last year. Broncs might surprise too when Kevvie gets them going, I'd never underestimate him.

Looks like it'll be a shootout between us, Knights and Sharks for positions 6 to 8. Titans maybe too, they bombed a couple of tries with the line wide open on the weekend, I didn't think there was all that much between the two of us, and we got pretty lucky with a few ref calls and heat breaks at crucial times defending our line.

But who knows, top 4's not totally impossible if we pull off a couple of shock results like when we smashed the chickens in '18, and there'll be key injuries that sink some teams. This game against the Knights will be very revealing, win this and we could get on a roll.

Feels good to be able to dream again and know I'm not kidding myself, it's like 2018 again but with a higher ceiling.

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Also thought there was some residual non-sensical Kearney in the mix - strange selections in the spine (put Val in FB and leave him there, Drinkwater to 6 and Morgan half), stubbornly limiting their one forward weapon’s time - only one round in but feeling quite pleased to have Browny and crew...

Honestly that name should be banned from this forum

Never speak his name that was “ Trust the Process”

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013

I'm not sure I buy the 'lessen JTs minutes to lengthen his career' argument either to be honest.

I thought the whole interview was a bit amateurish and in some ways self-focused as he justified himself and talked of his own career at one point. Totally the opposite of the down to earth way he spoke last year. His pressers last year were a thing of beauty.

He seems a bit rattled, hopefully he finds his way.

Reactions: Vancent
Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings