mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
NRL 2020 - Round 20 - Warriors vs Manly Post Match Discussion
New Zealand Warriors vs Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast

Manly4.jpg

Thread to share your thoughts on the Round 20 game between the New Zealand Warriors and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles after the match. Name your Man of the Match, discuss the coach, captain, starting team, bench, opposition, game tactics, substitutions, errors (or lack thereof), penalties (or lack thereof) highs, lows, refs etc.

Dont forget to rate the players...

tajhay

👻
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Proud and fitting end to the season, despite all the adversity. Well done everyone associated with the club. Hopefully a turning point and we can build from here.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Some final thoughts on the season.

All things considered, a solid effort.

It was a nice touch from the NRL to allow the referees to ref us relatively fairly in our last game of the season.

Things got soooooo much better after Kearney was fired. IMO mostly due to the boys being allowed to play with a little freedom.

To all the Kearney lovers on the forum.....hard luck. But seriously, give yourself a swift sharp uppercut. If you are questioning everything you know about rugby league, well you should be.

To Stephen Kearney, thanks for your effort. Nobody doubts your commitment, but you are just are not up to the task of coaching 1st grade.

Having said that, I'm almost certain that if somebody had told you early in your coaching career that games were decided based on points on the board and NOT completion rates, things would have been a lot better for you.

We can only wonder what might have been if Coach Payten had been allowed to coach the entire season. I, for one, think we would have done the boys effort in being away from their families a little more justice.

As for next season, who knows? But with a fair shake from the referees, I feel like maybe we can be a playoff side?

Special mention to Jennings, Murchie and Heatherington. I feel your energy lifted our players and made us a better side. I wish you all long and successful NRL career, and would welcome any of you into the Warriors side in the future.

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Some final thoughts on the season.

All things considered, a solid effort.

It was a nice touch from the NRL to allow the referees to ref us relatively fairly in our last game of the season.

Things got soooooo much better after Kearney was fired. IMO mostly due to the boys being allowed to play with a little freedom.

To all the Kearney lovers on the forum.....hard luck. But seriously, give yourself a swift sharp uppercut. If you are questioning everything you know about rugby league, well you should be.

To Stephen Kearney, thanks for your effort. Nobody doubts your commitment, but you just are not up to the task of coaching 1st grade.

Having said that, I'm almost certain that if somebody had told you early in your coaching career that games were decided based on points on the board and NOT completion rates, things would have been a lot better for you.

We can only wonder what might have been if Coach Payten had been allowed to coach the entire season. I, for one, think we would have done the boys effort in being away from their families a little more justice.

As for next season, who knows? But with a fair shake from the referees, I feel like maybe we can be a playoff side?

Special mention to Jennings, Murchie and Heatherington. I feel your energy lifted our players and made us a better side. I wish you all long and successful NRL career, and would welcome any of you into the Warriors side in the future.
Thanks, saved me posting. The only thing I would add is the improvement of Keighran this season after SK left.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
From the dissapointment of last season, after what we thought was a step in the right direction in '18. The start of this season felt like it was going to be more of the same, my faith was pretty low at that point going into Covid. What this group have achieved post lockdown is nothing short of amazing. I'm prouder of this group than I am of some of our more successful campaigns. Thank you to the staff and players for restoring my faith, hopefully we can carry this newly learnt graft into season 2021. Happy days ending the season with a good win, enjoy retirement Blairy you're a true Warrior.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
A+ simply for the sacrifices made in the season and finally going back to showing our scoring prowess that SK smothered with ball retention (although the Defense from SK was missing today)

IMO this game just showed why Aitken was a stupid signing. But then so was releasing 3 halves inc Lino and SJ as well as CNK, signed AK then due to injury to save the CEO's face we made a silly decision signing Kodi for 2.5x Overs instead of having vision for AK, Hayze Perham and even Paul Turner (who makes an electrifying X factor half vs FB). It goes against everything this club is trying to do with Gould which is retain NZ talent.

Not only will we lose Hayze to a 5/8th role somewhere, we will lose Turner who we have already highlighted his talent, we have let AK go, but we will lose Patty Herbert too, who is by far our best centre imho, a good offensive player but our BEST defensive player outside of RTS. I cant see how Aitken is going to best either Hayze or Herbs.

The good news is the new owners wont put up with mediocrity, next years team will have to deliver at least contending for a top 4 spot or players, coaches, internal staff may see the axe swing.

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Great way to finish a successful season, never have I been more pleased with a 10th place finish but since SK went these guys have come to play every week. Best non playoff season in the club's history imo, really enjoyed watching the Warriors play again this season.

Congrats to Adam Blair on a fantastic career, anyway you look at it 51 tests and 331 NRL games is nothing short of stellar.

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
Thank you boys for your sactifise & commitment to this club this year. Showed a lot of heart & silenced a lot of critics.
Very proud to call myself a Warriors supporter, & look forward to next year.

Good luck with your future endeavours Blairy. Thank you for your service with the club & NZ Rugby League. Kia Kaha E Hoa.

drunk_monk

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2014
Exciting as shit game. Exciting as shit result. If we a gonna miss out on the 8, at least the end of the season was when we played the good league. Has me excited for next year as opposed to miserable.

Love him or hate him, I'm glad the Kiwis legend retired here.

davo

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 29, 2016
What a rollercoaster of a ride this Season.

it`s been a shit year for us all and with not much to look forward to and distract from the misery of Covid and it`s restrictions.

V`landys , all credit to you and your teams efforts to achieve what you`ve done in saving RL in Australasia and also to Robinson and Todd Payten for having the guts and conviction to make the hard decisions and back change.

Immensely proud of the team , band of brothers, who stuck it out and didn`t just make up the numbers but played great footie and competed almost every week.

Thanks to you this forum , enjoyed the banter..here`s to next season and world domination!

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
No finals but it’s been a successful season on plenty of fronts, so much so I‘m up beat about our chances next year and that’s worth celebrating because I‘ve grown so accustomed to us finishing the season in a complete form slump and bad vibes about our chances the following year.

Roll on 2021.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings