• F

Votes: 49 54.4%

• Total voters

Stalefish540

CovidWarriors-20
Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
At the time I was in hysterics with that puff piece they released with CG swearing at the players. As if somehow it was going to lul fans into a false sense of hope, that the players would actually have a dig and they would sell some more season passes.

It's even more hilarious now after what they put forward at the 9's, preseason, and now 2 rounds of regular season.

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
We've got an absolute future superstar in Katoa and he is holding his own now. We may have a rethink on Jack Murchie and have more to spend on a top tier prop.
First 25 mins we were the dominant team and they obviously felt it passing up a penalty right in front. Really showing having no punch coming off the bench. Good to watch RTS spray Vuniyayawa on a soft dropped ball to how he responded and finished the game with some strong carries.
I like the look of us with some cattle back.
Fitness looked concerning but both teams struggled at times in 35 degree heat.
PNG International Luke Page has put the feelers out as well. Said he's willing & able if the club is interested. Lachlan Timm & Murchie. Not big names , But the way our ballerina's are playing. We don't have much to lose.....Wonder if Reiko Ioane & Beauden Barrett want to make some extra coin on the side while the rugby season is cancelled? 😂

kavafred

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2013
View attachment 42305

Can somebody please do an HIA on SK stat! Surely if we can ask to borrow players from other clubs then we should get dispensation to borrow a coach or two as well?

The Fusitua is a centre pantomime needs to stop now. Send Fusitua back to the wing ASAP to offer us something in attack.

Seriously, with the 900 hookers we have on our books you think they’d coach one of them to run from dummy half. And my god, we scored a try off a kick from Egan. The raiders were so surprised they had to grab Kodi to ask him what just happened 😉

Yoda Green needs to go back too Dagobah. Do or do not.....there is no try.

The only shining light was Katoa. Take a bow kid. You show more grit & determination than our retirees brigade. Keep the faith
Yeah Katoa looks awesome. I was all for Fusitua to centre but i was so wrong. He has 0% footy IQ (like most of this team tho) and he is lazy. I can't believe in all his years in FG a coach hasn't worked on him playing the ball faster!! he must be the slowest in the NRL.......

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
4) tajhay tajhay where has this Lachlan Timm emerged from? He is not a Warrior member is he?

5) JaggedJ I am still new and want to learn. What, in detail, is the difference between the 6 and 7 roles and which of these two roles is each of our dudes: Green, CHT, and Kodi best suited to. I asking because I am thinking Green and CHT need to switch. CHT needs to first handler and Green second.
Timms is a good player. Storm junior who went to Dragons and couldn't get a look in because Mary is the 2nd worst coach after Kearney.

The halves question is a little complex as their roles and how the team is structured has changed over the years.

Back in the good old days (80's/90's) the halfback was the teams general. He organised, did most of the kicking, had the best vision and generally was the guy who got the ball and decided what was going to happen next.

The 6 was similar, but usually had a stronger running game and/or was more creative. Both halves played on both sides of the field and would link a lot with each other.

The game started to shift in the late 90's/early 2000's when fullbacks and hookers started to evolve into playmakers in their own right rather than primarily ball runners in attack. Lockyer/Slater etc started taking over that second receiver role that was pretty much designated to the 6. Hookers like Fatah and converted hookers like Craig Wing brought more explosion and skill to the hooking position.

Because of this the halves got split. One was stationed on the right, one on the left. They were both expected to be generals of their own sides. One half was still superior mainly because the salary cap didn't allow two superstar halves.

Now we're in this spot somewhere in between where some teams (usually the better ones) have gone back to using halves on both sides of the field while other teams stick stubbornly to one side each (ie our spud team).

As to our particular players. Green and CHT are both 7's. Neither of them are explosive, running isn't their strong point. They're better suited to controlling play and building pressure.

Nikorima is a 6 if anything. He has speed, can be explosive, has quick hands that second receivers often need. Can't defend, but he's not an organising/controlling half.

SJ was also a 6 as much as we tried to shoehorn him into 7.

I doubt we'd see much difference if our halves switched. They'd both be stuck on a side with no freedom to play what's in front of them.

Part of the problem is Kearney's shit outdated systems, the other is that neither of our halves really get quality front foot ball so their limited attacking spark gets limited even further.

Onewarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 10, 2013
Tauranga
With the States closing borders and the AFL now suspended, the NRL will last maybe one more round at best, the two
reasons it is still running are firstly the Victorian, NSW and Queensland borders are still open (the only State borders that
affect the NRL), and secondly the NRL is arrogant. When the NRL is suspended, presumably because the Federal Government
puts one or other of the States in total lockdown or the whole country, then that will be the time to quietly remove Kearney, he
has to go, Morgan or Brown will become coach, with the other as assistant.

Reactions: wizards rage

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Big News that Stalefish

In terms of Bennet's idea - NRL should put all the teamsin either NSW or Queensland. Both have more than enough training facilities to go around.

If it does get shut down tonight then the Warriors organisation has played this virus situation very well.
The NRL now loves us for not quitting and the referees and on our side for the first time in 25 years and the NRL will long remember that we answered their call.
At the same time the Warriors probably figured the plug would get pulled before round 5 and they could come home anyway.

We played this thing very well and it will help us on years to come.I reckon they would even help us with financing if we asked such is the brownie points we have built up.
Wish we played footy as well as we played this. Maybe a future in the diplomatic corps for the Warriors

Reactions: Stalefish540

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
The NRL will try to get at least one last round in before probably suspending the season for six to eight weeks, similar to the AFL. Why? Follow the money.... the tv companies pay the TV rights four times per year and the next one is due on April 1. If there aren’t any games played next weekend, the NRL miss out on that revenue.

Another option would be to try and relocate all the other teams to either NSW or QLD and play out of a couple of venues. The additional Digital rights (thanks tajhay tajhay) to Asia and USA would more than cover the costs of relocating the clubs.

Last edited:

tajhay

Miss the old Warriors
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
The additional TV rights to Asia and USA would more than cover the costs of relocating the clubs.
NRL won't gain from those. Foxtel/nine would as they own those rights and those companies could onsell broadcasting rights to those regions. NRL has already had a chat with ESPN but that is more about selling DIGITAL rights via that medium than pay tv rights as foxtel/nine owns that till the end of the contract.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
NRL won't gain from those. Foxtel/nine would as they own those rights and those companies could onsell broadcasting rights to those regions. NRL has already had a chat with ESPN but that is more about selling DIGITAL rights via that medium than pay tv rights as foxtel/nine owns that till the end of the contract.
Sorry, should have worded it better - meant digital rights. My bad.

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
Timms is a good player. Storm junior who went to Dragons and couldn't get a look in because Mary is the 2nd worst coach after Kearney.

The halves question is a little complex as their roles and how the team is structured has changed over the years.

Back in the good old days (80's/90's) the halfback was the teams general. He organised, did most of the kicking, had the best vision and generally was the guy who got the ball and decided what was going to happen next.

The 6 was similar, but usually had a stronger running game and/or was more creative. Both halves played on both sides of the field and would link a lot with each other.

The game started to shift in the late 90's/early 2000's when fullbacks and hookers started to evolve into playmakers in their own right rather than primarily ball runners in attack. Lockyer/Slater etc started taking over that second receiver role that was pretty much designated to the 6. Hookers like Fatah and converted hookers like Craig Wing brought more explosion and skill to the hooking position.

Because of this the halves got split. One was stationed on the right, one on the left. They were both expected to be generals of their own sides. One half was still superior mainly because the salary cap didn't allow two superstar halves.

Now we're in this spot somewhere in between where some teams (usually the better ones) have gone back to using halves on both sides of the field while other teams stick stubbornly to one side each (ie our spud team).

As to our particular players. Green and CHT are both 7's. Neither of them are explosive, running isn't their strong point. They're better suited to controlling play and building pressure.

Nikorima is a 6 if anything. He has speed, can be explosive, has quick hands that second receivers often need. Can't defend, but he's not an organising/controlling half.

SJ was also a 6 as much as we tried to shoehorn him into 7.

I doubt we'd see much difference if our halves switched. They'd both be stuck on a side with no freedom to play what's in front of them.

Part of the problem is Kearney's shit outdated systems, the other is that neither of our halves really get quality front foot ball so their limited attacking spark gets limited even further.
Thanks Jagged - this is awesome. Appreciate the background, insights,, and analysis in this post. Had been wondering for a while.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah Katoa looks awesome. I was all for Fusitua to centre but i was so wrong. He has 0% footy IQ (like most of this team tho) and he is lazy. I can't believe in all his years in FG a coach hasn't worked on him playing the ball faster!! he must be the slowest in the NRL.......
Fusitua really has not looked a shadow of the player he was since SJ left and when I think of his try scoring haul in 2018 I'm reminded how many SJ played a hand in.
He really needs to step up when you see the club has attracted the services of Junior Ratuva, when he is injury free.