Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Jack Hetherington to stay with Panthers, won't be loaned back to Warriors

Jack Hetherington made an impact as a loan player at the Warriors, but won’t be back.

Matt King/Getty Images

Jack Hetherington made an impact as a loan player at the Warriors, but won’t be back.

The Warriors won’t have Jack Hetherington in their team again this season as the Panthers have decided to hold onto him.

The forward was a stand out player for the Warriors during his loan period for the club, giving the team a level of aggression only Jazz Tevaga could match.

However, he picked up a four-game ban for a shoulder charge on the sea Eagles’ Martin Taupau last month.

That ban has come to an end and the Warriors were hoping Panthers coach Ivan Clearly would give permission for him to see out the season, starting on Sunday against the Sharks.

However, Cleary has decided he wants to keep Hetherington in the Panthers camp for the rest of this year.

If anything, Hetherington was too good for the Warriors during his six games for the club and it gave Cleary a reminder of just how much of a talent the 24-year-old is.

If had played well, but been not that exceptional, Cleary may have let him remain with the Warriors. With only three weeks to go, the Warriors have decided not to look for another loan player at this point.

But while Hetherington is gone, the Warriors have been able to keep hold of their two loan players from the Eels, winger George Jennings and prop Daniel Alvaro.

Not surprisingly, Eels coach Brad Arthur wouldn’t allow Jennings and Alvaro to play in the game between his club and the Warriors last weekend.

George Jennings may get to see out the remainder of this season with the Warriors, before returning to the Eels for the playoffs.

Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

George Jennings may get to see out the remainder of this season with the Warriors, before returning to the Eels for the playoffs.

But he has given permission for the Warriors to use both of them in Sunday’s must win game.

Jennings and Alvaro will continue to be with the Warriors on a week by week basis for the remainder of the season, which means if there is an injury in the Eels squad they are likely to be called back, but otherwise they’re expected to see out the season with the Warriors.

With three games to go, the Warriors are four points behind the eighth placed Sharks.

So if they win they remain in contention for finals footy, but lose and the players can lock in September 28 as the date for their Mad Monday.

While the 24-18 loss to the Eels last weekend was a setback, Warriors prop Jamayne Taunoa-Brown says there’s still hope of playing finals footy.

Isaiah Papali'i will start at prop against the Sharks on Sunday.

“There’s still a possibility we could make it,” Taunoa-Brown said.

“But our focus isn’t that right now, our focus is on this week and doing everything we can to get the win.”

The 23-year-old Taunoa-Brown is one of the players who can give Warriors fans hope for next season, along with other young forwards like Eliesa Katoa and Jack Murchie.

He initially joined the club on a training contract, but has demonstrated he’s able to play at this level and has been rewarded with a contract through to the end of the 2022 season.

The Melbourne born Taunoa-Brown said he’s looked to keep improving over the season.

“My defence is something I’ve been trying to work on,” he said.

“From the start of the season, I’ve been trying to make some small progressions there.”

Aside from the Eels players coming back into the team, the only other change for the game against the Sharks is Isaiah Papalii combing into the front row, with Lachlan Burr moved to the interchange bench.

Meanwhile, former Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson is back in the Sharks team, having missed the last two weeks with a groin strain.

But the Sharks will have to play without Chad Townsend and Wade Graham, who are both suspended.

AT A GLANCE

Sharks: William Kennedy, Sione Katoa, Josh Dugan, Jesse Ramien, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Connor Tracey, Shaun Johnson, Braden Hamlin-Uele, Blayke Brailey, Aaron Woods, Briton Nikora, Siosifa Talakai, Toby Rudolph. Interchange (from): Teig Wilton, Jack Williams, Andrew Fifita, Royce Hunt, Scott Sorensen, Bryson Goodwin, Brayon Trindall, Billy Magoulias.

Warriors: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c), Adam Pompey, Hayze Perham, Peta Hiku, George Jennings, Kodi Nikorima, Chanel Harris-Tavita; Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Karl Lawton, Isaiah Papalii, Jack Murchie, Tohu Harris, Jazz Tevaga. Interchange (from): Wayde Egan, Adam Blair, Daniel Alvaro, Lachlan Burr, Josh Curran, Paul Turner, Tom Ale, Gerard Beale.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Something interesting.
Since 2010, at Round 18 stage we have either been in the top 8, or within 2 wins of being in the top 8 at that point. So basically at Round 18 we have been definitely in contention for a playoff spot, for the past consecutive 11 seasons.

Hoping to see a strong finish to the season. Not expecting us to make the finals, but strong performances like the past few weeks have been so encouraging and gives so much hope for the future. If we can keep that up, it gives us a good base and level of confidence going into next season.
And then brown comes in swinging the axe, and tells us JTB Is A reserve grader! 😆

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
I know we are supposed to be grateful but Penrith pulling Jack coz he played god for us is a shit move. So you only loaned him coz you thgouht he would be shit and we would lose anyway. Ivan and his chocolate soldier mates can suck my fat one.

Not the case at all. With finals coming uo you want him to be familiar with the team etc should he be needed

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
I know we are supposed to be grateful but Penrith pulling Jack coz he played god for us is a shit move. So you only loaned him coz you thgouht he would be shit and we would lose anyway. Ivan and his chocolate soldier mates can suck my fat one.
You been hanging out with SJ brother 👀

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Nah its BS, you can have a player coz we dont want him but if he is any good and might help you when it comes tothe pointy end of the season then we are pulling him - its claytons help.
If/when the Panthers win next week against the Cowboys then they’ll also have won the minor premiership & could well want to rest players in the final round against the Dogs - Hetherington would be every chance of coming in for that game. He’s also genuine squad depth for them so the last thing they need is him getting injured/suspended so close to the finals. Aside from the intimidation factor he’s not that good anyway, so I’m not overly fussed.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
If/when the Panthers win next week against the Cowboys then they’ll also have won the minor premiership & could well want to rest players in the final round against the Dogs - Hetherington would be every chance of coming in for that game. He’s also genuine squad depth for them so the last thing they need is him getting injured/suspended so close to the finals. Aside from the intimidation factor he’s not that good anyway, so I’m not overly fussed.

It is disappointing, but Penrith have his contract and they want to prepare their squad as a whole to win the comp. I am just great full to him for his efforts and Penrith for allowing it to happen.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Something interesting.
Since 2010, at Round 18 stage we have either been in the top 8, or within 2 wins of being in the top 8 at that point. So basically at Round 18 we have been definitely in contention for a playoff spot, for the past consecutive 11 seasons.

Hoping to see a strong finish to the season. Not expecting us to make the finals, but strong performances like the past few weeks have been so encouraging and gives so much hope for the future. If we can keep that up, it gives us a good base and level of confidence going into next season.
pity its not a full season so we could see where this run would eventually take the warriors.

Bit like how they were quoting the stat that no team since the dark ages has only lost one game all season, and while technically correct, ignoring the fact that this season is much shorter than a regular season.

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
I am expecting a comfortable victory. In recent weeks the Sharks along with the Cowboys have been the worst team in the competition. While individually they have some decent talent, collectively they have gone off the rails. Conversely we are one of the form teams in the competition. Our three losses to the Roosters, Panthers and Eels were by single figures and you could argue we were dudded by the officials to some degree in each of them. We were the equal on the day with each of them. Pretty much to a man our players are in career best form and so us the coach. Warriors by 30.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Hugely impressed with Hayze - I think he is a huge chance of ousting Hiku next year

Love him as our new center .

It's obvious he's gone to the same media training school
As mooks .You know you know an stuff .

• Haha
Reactions: Weno

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
tajhay tajhay about your post above where you say we still had a chance of making the top eight with at round 18. I’m too lazy to look this up myself, but how many of those 11 years were we still in the hunt with three more regular games to be played like we are this year? Because of the shortened season, I’d think we probably fell away a number of times from rounds 18-23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings