Votes: 13 14.3%
  • F-

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Really solid showing in the first half, and a pretty gritty -- if ultimately disappointing -- performance in the second half. We just couldn't get on top of things after half-time, but don't think that was through any great fault of our own. Keary took the game by the scruff of the neck and pushed us over and over. No shame in it, he's outstanding and we're not the first or last team he'll boss like that. The fact they only scored twice is testament to our resilience. Lesser teams would've folded and gone down by 30 or 40. The fact we made Tedesco a total non-factor is down to really good defensive structure, so props to Payten for that.

As far as bright spots go, I thought Nikorima really stood up today. He was much better in defence and he was getting on the ball more in attack, especially in the first half. Lawton was great today and we were much worse when he went off; Chanel Harris-Tavita is talented, but he's not a hooker. Harris, excellent as usual: 49 tackles, none missed. Unreal. Katoa continues to make a name for himself, good showing from him today. I might be in the minority, but I thought Jazz did a lot of good things, especially early on. If he cuts the dumb penalties out of his game he could give us some serious spark (that's a massive if, though).

Burr, Blair, and Papali'i were really solid off the bench. Thought Maumalo and Hiku were pretty alright too. Pompey was very conservative but mostly solid. There's the bones of a good player there -- big frame, really physical in defence and attack. Needs to not fear passing, but I think we can get something out of him.

There were some issues though. Early errors in their 20 when we had the opportunity to score points had a big impact, and a couple of dumb penalties/set restarts cost us. This is stuff that's easy to eliminate -- just tell guys like Jazz and Jack to calm down. I like Hetherington's aggression but he needs to cut the dumb shit out of his game. Giving away a quick play-the-ball is much better than giving away a penalty.

Other than that, same old story. Anaemic yardage for our pack once again. I know we were mostly working out of our own end in the second half, but it'd be good to see some of these guys put their hand up a bit more. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck looked slow and it seemed like he was playing with an injury late on. Green was okay but the lack of power behind his kicks really puts us on the back foot. And I'm not sure if it's just me, but it feels like there's something seriously wrong with Fusitua. He used to be unbeatable in the air and ran the ball so powerfully. Now it feels like there's a lack of intensity with him. Is it a fitness thing? Is his head not right? I see plays like the Green cross-field kick and just thought he should be collecting that with ease. Can't do anything more than speculate, but he's one of the game's best wingers when he's on. Hope the break does him good. Then again, he ran 200+ metres today, so what do I know.

Overall, disappointing to not get the win when it felt so possible, but can't complain about the performance. Tigers next week are very beatable.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Happy with that effort.....still think we're vastly under gunned but if Payten can get that effort out of them every week we'll be giving ourselves chances to win games...has to be the goal.

I get the Hethrington love...been crying out for someone who doesnt back down...and i'd love if we could keep him to develop. However things to consider re Hethrington v Hargreaves

Hethrington - 45 minutes - 5 hit ups - 46 metres
Hargreaves - 49 minutes - 20 hit ups - 178 metres

I know who i'd take out of that match up every day of the week.....and in the end its that go forward that cost us...especially 2nd half. Jack's a goer tho, he'd do worse than base his game on JWH.

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
May 29, 2012
Sydney
Really solid showing in the first half, and a pretty gritty -- if ultimately disappointing -- performance in the second half. We just couldn't get on top of things after half-time, but don't think that was through any great fault of our own. Keary took the game by the scruff of the neck and pushed us over and over. No shame in it, he's outstanding and we're not the first or last team he'll boss like that. The fact they only scored twice is testament to our resilience. Lesser teams would've folded and gone down by 30 or 40. The fact we made Tedesco a total non-factor is down to really good defensive structure, so props to Payten for that.

As far as bright spots go, I thought Nikorima really stood up today. He was much better in defence and he was getting on the ball more in attack, especially in the first half. Lawton was great today and we were much worse when he went off; Chanel Harris-Tavita is talented, but he's not a hooker. Harris, excellent as usual: 49 tackles, none missed. Unreal. Katoa continues to make a name for himself, good showing from him today. I might be in the minority, but I thought Jazz did a lot of good things, especially early on. If he cuts the dumb penalties out of his game he could give us some serious spark (that's a massive if, though).

Burr, Blair, and Papali'i were really solid off the bench. Thought Maumalo and Hiku were pretty alright too. Pompey was very conservative but mostly solid. There's the bones of a good player there -- big frame, really physical in defence and attack. Needs to not fear passing, but I think we can get something out of him.

There were some issues though. Early errors in their 20 when we had the opportunity to score points had a big impact, and a couple of dumb penalties/set restarts cost us. This is stuff that's easy to eliminate -- just tell guys like Jazz and Jack to calm down. I like Hetherington's aggression but he needs to cut the dumb shit out of his game. Giving away a quick play-the-ball is much better than giving away a penalty.

Other than that, same old story. Anaemic yardage for our pack once again. I know we were mostly working out of our own end in the second half, but it'd be good to see some of these guys put their hand up a bit more. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck looked slow and it seemed like he was playing with an injury late on. Green was okay but the lack of power behind his kicks really puts us on the back foot. And I'm not sure if it's just me, but it feels like there's something seriously wrong with Fusitua. He used to be unbeatable in the air and ran the ball so powerfully. Now it feels like there's a lack of intensity with him. Is it a fitness thing? Is his head not right? I see plays like the Green cross-field kick and just thought he should be collecting that with ease. Can't do anything more than speculate, but he's one of the game's best wingers when he's on. Hope the break does him good. Then again, he ran 200+ metres today, so what do I know.

Overall, disappointing to not get the win when it felt so possible, but can't complain about the performance. Tigers next week are very beatable.

Stopped reading at Hiku being good.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Was following this on Stuff, seemed like the team played well. The handling in the first half seemed like a killer, there was a section of about 10 minutes where I read dropped cold by KN, dropped cold by Jazz, dropped cold by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.. which seemed to kill the opportunity to clock up a big lead in teh first half when they were well on top. I didnt catch the second half though

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Fuck we need to change how we use Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Absolute waste of his talent taking pointless hit ups against the forwards. 1 try and 1 assist all season should be a glaring issue!!! I fear things are only going to get worse once Maumalo and a Fusitua are gone.

Gave it a C...we still lost and made a heap of dumb mistakes.

Love the aggro from Heatherington. JWH was a sooky little bitch at the end of the game refusing to shake hands!! Bullies don’t like it when people fight back!

Murraytd

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 5, 2014
Brisbane
Well played boys. Went in thinking a beating by 40 was a conservative outcome. Manned up though. I thought they were coached well today, to shut down Tedesco and the Morris boys was a highlight. Still got beaten though!

Sad you when you can find pride in defeat. Only loser clubs have that really! The enigma of the Warriors rolls on....

Last edited:

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Stopped reading at Hiku being good.

He missed a few tackles (AKA: the Peta Hiku Standard), but he wasn't at fault for any of the tries and he did his job by pushing up in defence and blocking the ball out the back. Yes, he fumbled the interception on about 137 occasions, but it also stopped them from scoring, so I'll take that over him not pushing up and getting rinsed. I didn't think he was outstanding, but I didn't think he was shit either. Good hands for the first try, too.

GeneralPayten

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 5, 2020
Happy with that effort.....still think we're vastly under gunned but if Payten can get that effort out of them every week we'll be giving ourselves chances to win games...has to be goal.

I get the Hethrington love...been crying out for someone who doesnt back down...and i'd love if we could keep him to develop. However things to consider re Hethrington v Hargreaves

I know who i'd take out of that match up every day of the week.....and in the end its that go forward that cost us...especially 2nd half. Jack's a goer tho, he'd do worse than base his game on JWH.

a guy that took 15 more hit ups ran for more meters. wow.

is it reflective of heatherington’s ability that he wasnt given the ball 15 more times???

heatherington is also cheaper and we actually have a chance at signing him.

Reactions: Off The Bench

GeneralPayten

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 5, 2020
Wow, that feels like massive overs to me. I like him but when I think about the fact that Ah Mau is on 650, and the likes of Bunty and Paasi are probably around that 400k-ish mark, that doesn't seem like great value.

considering that adam blair exists, that is fantastic value for a mongrel. you cant buy aggression like that. mt smart would pop off with this antics.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

What you failed to realise in your stats is the chooks had 80% of the possession

hard for him to do hit ups when we don’t have the ball

Hethrington lifted the team with his FU to JWH

Roosters didn’t want to know about it...

JWH is a little bitch

end of story

Peewee

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 20, 2020
View attachment 42947
Could’ve won that one if we had more composure. It was an improved effort.

Pompey is not a first grader. Hiku is kidding himself if he expects a new contract with that effort. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck also looks flat.

Hetherington & Eli.....keep on keeping on.

Interesting to see what next weeks squad will look like.
Hetherington is a keeper 100%

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
What you failed to realise in your stats is the chooks had 80% of the possession

JWH is a little bitch

end of story

Remember the kid knows how to offload as well

when was the last time we had a prop with these qualities ?????

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Let me state this first to give context to my comments: I am very fucking happy with the effort levels from the majority of our team. We didn't get the win, but this is the first time all year I haven't ragequit a Warriors game at some point. The boys have done us proud for once.

HOWEVER

Blake cunting Green
There have always been excuses for him in the form of the rest of the team playing poorly and not providing a platform. This game - he had his fucking platform. There were more than enough times where he could have stepped up and showed that he's the 'game manager' Matty Johns and the rest of the NRL think he is.

Did Blake Green:
A. Provide repeat sets in order to build pressure on the superior team in order to capitalise on their fatigue.
B. Pin the Roosters down their end with smart long kicking & provide pinpoint bombs allowing us to contest strongly on the fringes
C. Run smart lines in order to keep the opposition guessing whether he would kick or run
D. Attempt a 40/20 from our own 30 after we absorbed several sets on our own line; Kick for the winger from our own 30 after we absorbed several sets on our own line; Take several 4th tackle hit ups; Kick aimless low hanging bombs that weren't close to enough to the tryline to be dangerous or contestable

All this game told me is that Blake Green absolutely needs to go IMMEDIATELY. Not only does he not provide anything resembling a spark on attack, but he's started to do these ridiculous glory hunting hail Mary plays from our own end. If we had a competent halfback then we were every chance of winning that game. Just look at the short kicking game that pinned us on our own tryline. I'm not saying Chanel Harris-Tavita or AK are the answer, but Jesus fucking Christ, they're young and they'll be here next year. At the absolute worst, they can also provide the game garbage bombs Green does.

As for Hiku ... jesus fuck. The Roosters didn't crucify him like I was expecting, but the amount of times he went for an intercept and dropped it, only to put us under more pressure was ridiculous. It was an improved effort defensively, but if we had anything resembling depth, he'd be the second on my list of people to drop.

BUT TO FINISH POSITIVELY

I quite liked the look of Lawton getting an extended run at hooker. I'd really prefer us to run with Lawton as our primary hooker. If Egan absolutely must be in the team, let him spell Karl for 10 minutes or so, then move to lock for the rest of his stint. Egan's just got absolutely nothing in attack - he seems terrified to do anything other than shovel it off to Green (which I'm sure comes from Mr. Game Manager over calling everybody else)

Jack Hetherington looks a really really fucking good prospect. An absolute criminal on the field and the kind of mad bastard we've needed for years. Managed to accomplish all of this without giving away a mountain of penalties today too. Panthers will certainly be wanting him back, but if management are able to pressure Blair into retiring (still not sold on that tbh) I would throw his entire salary at Hetherington / a transfer fee for the Panthers. I think he's the pack leader we've needed for years.

And aside from all of that, I was just generally stoked to see everybody having a dig. We could lose every game for the rest of the year and I would be happy if that level of effort and commitment were shown.

It's nice to feel mostly satisfied with the Warriors for the first time in a long while.

GeneralPayten

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 5, 2020

JWH is a little bitch

end of story

it gave me flashbacks when The Kondom stood up to SBW.
FA17176F-1E89-4DF4-BAE5-BE796F55B58B.jpeg

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
Don't feel hard done but we had our opportunities but basically blew them. I think they took us a bit lightly and didn't get into the game early.

Thank goodness no dropped lip today. Our team has limitations and hence the dropped ball etc. I suspect that will be our best effort for the year considering the boys returning home so will be light on calvary.

An A for effort never gave up.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings