Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston...

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
I hadn’t heard anything, but that could explain it then. Shame if ATG has. Thought he’d have a big year.
Isn't ATG named in the CC team though??? Or has he been scratched/injured since team naming?

Edit, scene the last few comments.

Reactions: Swanley

wrighty

That would be a shame, think ATG has real potential.
Bonus we didn’t get Capewell. Injured his quad and out indefinitely.
That was a master stroke not chasing Capewell (although tajhay says were briefly linked to an attempt on him)

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
I'm just going to throw this out there again.

This decision on the bench with 2 hookers concerns me more than anything else in the off season.
It shows me that Stephen Kearney hasn't learnt anything from last year and is oblivious to the fact that our forwards got steamrolled through the middle last year. It shows that he hasn't come to terms with the reality of a major issue for our halves to have a chance.
I love Kodi on the bench and Chanel Harris-Tavita at 6. He needs to be commended for that and I hope that Lawton is just there to show people that he made a decision not based on injuries to all of our hookers.

I just can't see how someone who is a head coach can't realise his style is not suited to the culture of our club and hasn't worked in being successful in any way shape or form

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

This decision on the bench with 2 hookers concerns me more than anything else in the off season.
It shows me that Stephen Kearney hasn't learnt anything from last year and is oblivious to the fact that our forwards got steamrolled through the middle last year. It shows that he hasn't come to terms with the reality of a major issue for our halves to have a chance.
I love Kodi on the bench and Chanel Harris-Tavita at 6. He needs to be commended for that and I hope that Lawton is just there to show people that he made a decision not based on injuries to all of our hookers.

I just can't see how someone who is a head coach can't realise his style is not suited to the culture of our club and hasn't worked in being successful in any way shape or form
From what I’ve heard from someone with contacts within the club, Kodi is on the bench to cover the halves and hooker while AK is there as centre/wing cover in case Roger Tuivasa-Sheck either can’t start the game or gets pulled off through injury and the backline gets reshuffled otherwise he’ll come off the bench to play at lock. Kearney is also quite limited with his selections because of injuries to the props (TBH letting so many props with NRL experience go was a failure of the clubs management). SK has already got two rookies on the bench - having both AK and Kodi there at least gives him some experience.

Sounds like the club has lost its bid to get a dispensation to bring another prop into their FG squad. Annoying thing is that the Sharks have been allowed to have a squad above salary cap for the first two games of the season until Morris joins the Roosters but we can’t bring in other players when so many of our forward pack is injured even before the season starts.

To make things worse, it sounds as if the Broncos are going to try and get Bird to “retire” because of his ACL injury and bring in another player. Fans living in England may see him next season in the ESL when he makes “a miraculous recovery”.

wrighty

I'll give you the same answer that Mike gave in fewer words...the cupboard is barren of seasoned NRL forwards who could play instead of Lawton.
SK had no real choice but to go with the bench mix you are concerned about. You name a forward in the top 30 you would have played instead...Pulu maybe? His stocks are low right now and he was out of form last season.

Reactions: Off The Bench

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019

But does having those small men on the bench work better this year with a revised gameplan that they keep talking about, as to last years gameplan? I think we will have a good indication in the firs six rounds, I agree I dont lile how hes using all hooking stocks.

Reactions: Worried2Death

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Ligi Sao
Tevita Satae
Sam Lisone

3 young props they decided to let go but never replaced now we’re in the shits before the season even begins...

Let’s not forget Albert Vete and James Gavet...

Ah Mau came in 2019 to replace these 5 props?

What am I missing here???

How do we let all these players go with no backup ?????

Last edited:

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Ligi Sao
Tevita Satae
Sam Lisone

3 young props they decided to let go but never replaced now we’re in the shits before the season even begins...

Oh for the days gone by when GODoyle would only let players only after he’d signed a replacement.

Now it’s, “okay, we’re trying to sign four props so let’s let four go because I’m sure all these new guys would love to come here. What’s that, another of the few props left has gone down for the season? Don’t worry, that 14 year old from Te Aroha can replace him at training until one of our new signings puts pen to paper.”

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
Ligi Sao
Tevita Satae
Sam Lisone

It isn't really as bad as you're making it out. We got Ah Mau, Jackson Frei, and now Taunoa-Brown to replace those guys. When you add in Bunty, Paasi, and guys like Blair and Burr who can cover prop I think it's fine.

Would Satae or Vete be getting a run over any of those guys? Or would we be sitting here saying "why not release them, what a waste of cap space"? I think we know the answer to that.

EDIT: I know that Bunty/Frei are injured. But the fact remains that there's no point in having about 9 props on the books just to cover the 0.1% chance of 2 freak season-ending injuries (which unfortunately we hit)

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
Ligi Sao
Tevita Satae
Sam Lisone

They replaced Satae in the top 30 with a centre, Pompey, but they also replaced Kata with Curran so it balances out. Sao was replaced by promoting Katoa and Lisone was replaced by Jamayne Tounua-Brown. Those last two at least are definite upgrades for me, even though neither has played 1st grade because Sao and Lisone were such shit.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
It isn't really as bad as you're making it out. We got Ah Mau, Jackson Frei, and now Taunoa-Brown to replace those guys. When you add in Bunty, Paasi, and guys like Blair and Burr who can cover prop I think it's fine.

Would Satae or Vete be getting a run over any of those guys? Or would we be sitting here saying "why not release them, what a waste of cap space"? I think we know the answer to that.

EDIT: I know that Bunty/Frei are injured. But the fact remains that there's no point in having about 9 props on the books just to cover the 0.1% chance of 2 freak season-ending injuries (which unfortunately we hit)

Your points are completely valid.

Absolutely, it made sense at the time but it doesn’t change the fact on where we are now.

We had Lisone playing in the trials, and playing absolutely crap from what I saw, which is probably why he was cut, but he’s come through our system, our culture and our investment and this is the result. The same for Tevita and Ligi Sao. The same for Bunty but look at him now - busted. We can call it a 1% freak accident to have 2 props gone for the season or just one of many bad decisions made by this club to not have adequate cover in certain positions ...

Our halves are a problem, props and centre position, yet we have a plethora of hookers and locks/lose forwards...

Reactions: zaggo and DallyM

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
I reserve my judgement for the season, although my expectations are not high.
Agree with all the injuries selection is limited.
Last year it would have been very conservative but giving a lot of younger guys a chance is refreshing.

I get the feeling there maybe more consultation within the coaching team that may help get the most out of a limited roster, and the return of Harris will make a point of difference.

Pre season games uninspiring so hopefully they are building on that.

Good luck lads as long as you give it your best shot.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
I'll give you the same answer that Mike gave in fewer words...the cupboard is barren of seasoned NRL forwards who could play instead of Lawton.
SK had no real choice but to go with the bench mix you are concerned about. You name a forward in the top 30 you would have played instead...Pulu maybe? His stocks are low right now and he was out of form last season.
The alternative choice was Pulu or Milne. Those guys must be going shocking at training if Lawton is the preference

Reactions: Tragic

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Ligi Sao
Tevita Satae
Sam Lisone

Because they the five of them put together cant even do what Ah may does! They were all shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings