mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
NRL 2019 - Round 16 - Knights vs Warriors Post Match Discussion
Newcastle Knights vs New Zealand Warriors
McDonald Jones Stadium , Newcastle

David Fusitua 2018 4.jpg

Thread to share your thoughts on the Round 16 game between the New Zealand Warriors and Newcastle Knights after the match. Name your Man of the Match, discuss the coach, captain, starting team, bench, opposition, game tactics, substitutions, errors (or lack thereof), penalties (or lack thereof) highs, lows, refs etc...

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Missed the first 20 minutes due to travelling, then 5-10 minutes rushing around getting SkyGo sorted. Pretty much started watching from the first Knights try.

The end of the first half looked like it could get ugly. The second half was better. Although we made it harder than it needed to be, had plenty of times to close out the game.

We won against an under strength side so don't want to get carried away. Still an away win which is usually rare for this club some years.

Reaction score
Ziggity

Ziggity

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
That first half was pathetic in attack, so much opportunity and we were just aimless, probably a D-

That second half was a glimpse of the potential we have, we were always going to have a shaky season losing SJ but that 2nd half was something we can hang our hat on moving forward, solid b+

Bunker blunder aside, we should've won by far more, that second half gives me some hope though

Also can the refs just go die?

Reaction score
mtsmart

mtsmart

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sam, so glad you're going to miss the Nudie run later this year. Spared your mates the sight of your wobbling gut. But you actually had a pretty good game, so have some pies.

Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this one.
On the one hand I want the win to stick it up the blatant cheating from the ref and video ref.
On the other, let’s put this in perspective.
We just ground out a win against something like a 4th string Knights side. If that buys Kearney some more time to delude himself that he is on the right track, then it is probably a bad thing.

Either way, something is changing. I have never kind of wanted us to lose before. But I did tonight, and that’s a little fucked up.

Reaction score

Te Aro

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Very scrappy win and that was some of the worst reffing I've ever seen.

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
First half was an F...it doesn’t get worse than that!!!

Second half was a B... we did some good stuff with some rubbish thrown in...

Overall.... we beat a reserve grade looking Knights side by a few points. Hardly anything to be excited about. I’ll give a C.

The refs / bunker were a definite F... and I’ll expect we get a nice apology from the refs boss during the week.

Reaction score
Uncmase

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm in total disbelief at the officiating tonight. How blatantly bias were the refs towards the Knights? Cheats!! I cant stop shaking my head. I know we played like shit the first half. And some of the second half lol. But that was shocking ! Fuck , we may as well forfeit the season in protest! These dodgy refs need to be held accountable......
Oh, Better effort in the second half boys. Well done.

Reaction score

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I have it an A. Boys didnt drop their lip and still stayed in the game to win it.

They could've given up after that run of shit calls, but they didn't.

2pts off the 8 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
We looked a lot better on attack once we pushed our structures to one side. Got some offloads going and move the ball a bit.

Maumalo with some finishes we usually see from Fus. Maumalo will be a contender for the player of the year for 2019.

Need a centre on each side that can feed our wingers.

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
First half was ugly af, but we can build on that second half effort.
Without those atrocious reffing decisions we win that game by plenty in the second half.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
All of the talk around concussions and player welfare leads to only being able to stop the game unless a trainer requests the ref to stop it.

No common sense.

Even if the trainer waves at them they still sometimes get selective.

Reaction score
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Fold it
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not entirely convinced I just watched a game of RL to be honest. I'm leaning towards an 80min stalemate of rock, paper, scissors...with both teams choosing rocks from the opening kick off, right till the final whistle.

Gave it an A+ for entertainment purposes. 10/10 will watch replay tomorrow for the laughs.

Reaction score
jsmooove

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
i try not to blame the on field referees too much. its a bloody hard job to do and make split second decisions. i dont believe any referee has bias one way or another. but two things. Gavin badger should of seen the world of trouble hiku was in and called time off. Bare in mind he was also the same referee in townsville that played on when nene mcdonald broke his leg. this isnt a player faking an injury or it isnt a lesser injury ( i feel referees call time off way too much to see a bloke get strapped or taped up due to a bit of blood). badger looks squarely at hiku who you could see had no idea where he was. thats just piss poor

the bunker....... i dont like to talk about cheating or people in the take but if the NRL overall wasnt incompetent i would say there is an argument for that. If this is karma for last week thats truly pathetic. but that video ref..... i dont have words to describe how i feel about the kenny call. if its 50/50 i can cop it. but the front view clearly shows the ball is grounded. if thats the best we can offer up on video refereeing we are in a world of trouble and it might be in the NRL's best interest to look at who is running the refereeing and change the people there.

honestly i enjoyed the game. i thought it was entertaining. i dont care about the quality i just want to be entertained these days

Reaction score
Aman

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Everybody's over thinking the under strength knights angle.

You couldn't have scripted a better win if you tried. This was a win against the odds, a throwback to warriors of old in the second half and a big FU to the status quo and a rebute to staying "unlucky". This will do wonders for their spirits, confidence and comradary.

Don't be surprised if the boys go on a little run now.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I give every Warriors game an A+ usually due to the comedy gold.

My favourite moment of the night was Papa going for a quick play of the ball with one minute left and giving away posession when we actually wanted slow and deliberate plays of the ball just to chew up time and then kick it out of play.

Reaction score
Ziggity

Ziggity

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
First half was an F...it doesn’t get worse than that!!!

Second half was a B... we did some good stuff with some rubbish thrown in...

Overall.... we beat a reserve grade looking Knights side by a few points. Hardly anything to be excited about. I’ll give a C.

The refs / bunker were a definite F... and I’ll expect we get a nice apology from the refs boss during the week.
To be fair, our first half was dogshit and that ken try +hiku being out of play probably wouldnt have lead to the knights scoring that last try

If the 2nd half was reffed a bit better, I think we win by a fair bit more

Still no excusing that first half though

Top Bottom