Post Match NRL 2019 - Round 15 - Knights vs Warriors Post Match Discussion [Round 15, 2021]

Game Information

Knights
Vs
Warriors
10 McDonald Jones Stadium
19 Jun 2021 17:00
80th minute

Rate the game?

• A+

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • C

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • F-

Votes: 49 65.3%

• Total voters

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
Early on in the game Fox sport commentators reported Kodi had just had his ankle heavily strapped. Did Sky report this?
If his ankle was injured would not that affect his game?
And Walsh was kicking goals because Kodi could not kick goals.
May explain why Kodi had an off game.
He has many off games and his ankle is not strapped all the time. so cannot blame that for his many off games

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
I think we lost this game when we could not put any points on when the Knights were down to 12 men. We showed no ability to create scoring chances. Our only try came from a Knights mistake, and the only other chance was when Walsh almost went the length of the field as well. In the Knights 20 m (on the few occasions we got there) we showed nothing

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Warriors stats vs the Tigers who obviously got 66 points put on them

Warriors 43 missed tackles 13 ineffective. Tigers 40 missed tackles 14 ineffective.

Warriors set distance 33m. Tigers 35

Warriors 13 errors. Tigers 12

Warriors completion 67%. Tigers 69%

Yes conditions were different, but still...

I've felt all season that we are the better of the 'also rans,' but I am having some doubts now.

Halves/hooker are a huge problem, but it is not just that is it?

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Warning, a long essay on why Im so bitterly disappointed in the avoidable.

So over it. 6th game we have lost in a close one. They didn't win it, we lost it.

Im also tired of holding tongue, I think we should all be putting pressure on the owners, the coach and the horrendous management as to how could they have lost a season this early on given the talent available in the team and the glaring critical position issues that have been under the radar for 2 seasons now, yet nothing is being done about it. We deserve far better for our money that finances the club and for being overly loyal.

I do not have this ability to fit in with the Warriors culture which is to say nothing and accept what we are given. Im not seeing our fans/members push back on the Club. Id rather have no team than a team in nearly 30 years hasnt looked close to winning it, the one year they were minor premiers was a very low points scoring year (final round decided MP). That just isn't good enough, to ask people to be members of an organisation that puts profits (lately since Boy George) ahead of results.

I simply don't care about opinions on Shaun Johnson now. Turning Shaun Johnson down (if they have) for $200k unders and a mere $300k more than the hopeless Kodi Nikorima was simply idiotic.

We need to fix our halves, but primarily at this stage our 5/8th, because our current one is stifling our offense and is at best a $250k bench utility.

If we were to keep Walsh at FB (which is a mistake imo), then we could still get back to the A rating we had on our 2018 spine if we put Shaun Johnson at 6 and kept Chanel Harris-Tavita at 7, hooker is the hard one to solve, so are halves but we had one of our best ever offering to come back which would immediately fix the issue of stifling the offensive line.

If we had an X factor spine with some experience, there is no way we would lose this often with the forward pack we have, even with the crap outside backs we have. Releasing Ken for a like for like player was also stupid. If you going to replace him, do it with somebody of extreme pace, not a like for like. Outside Aitken, the rest are pretty bloody inconsistent. Thank cripes for Aitken, his defense has been keeping us in some games and his offense is improving, but still, that dwarf sized 5/8th is stifling the ball from better ball runners like Aitken, who can decide whether to draw and pass or go there own. I forget the last time we had running Centres.

Our hooker options are a joke. Egan does his best, but Im afraid its not good enough. Heck Im sure Kodi doesnt mean to not know how to draw and pass and feed the outside backs, Im sure he tries hard too. But this is professional and not about emotions etc. We must fix the problem positions and not in 3 years when Walsh has had a gut full and realises he can win a comp with other teams and takes off. It needs to be fixed this year, going to into the offseason of next year.

And what annoys me is the lack of urgency to replace these key spine roles. Is that Boy George trying to save money again?

Egan, Kodi and 2 of the outside backs need immediate replacing, and by that I mean we have had plenty of time to have found replacements. We have a replacement for Kodi, I just hope management werent as clueless as some fans who thought Shaun Johnson's off field personality issues are relevant to what he does on the field, which is consistently feed the outside backs, or if with Walsh at 6, mentor Walsh and provide good game management plus his own X factor. Chanel Harris-Tavita is a good game manager but he just doesnt offer the extras Shaun Johnson does.

Walsh is a half, hes always been a half at heart, and he has X factor. It made no sense to me to throw yet another year down the drain to play Walsh at FB and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Wing. In fact it caused to many problems with the outsideback roster. But I just dont think Walsh will cut it as a FB. It reminds me of Ponga for the Knights, except in reverse.

We have some fantastic forwards in the team now, the only positive I can see right now. We are getting to the redzone so often, that if we were the storm or any other team that has quality halves, quality outside backs and a coach with far better cognition than Brown, we would average 40 points a game.

Which leads me on to Brown, why, why the Flap did we sign him? He is the one coach all players do not want in the NRL. He is simply the worst coach in the NRL, he makes SK look a genius. SK with the talent he now has in this team would have had us back in the top 8 similar to 18, and likely better.

Regardless, pick any Coach and I would take them over Brown. At least SK had a plan and improved certain stats immediately, and 2019 looked like a top 4 year (before the player massacre).

Brown is doing nothing, at least nothing that is reflected on field. He looks like one of those school Dad coaches, thats how much I rate him as a coach. He is going through the motions at training, but these players have been doing this kind of thing all their lives, they need to be "Coached" not "Trained".

As usual Brown will sell it off as a rebuilding year, which is not good enough. 6 losses we could easily have won with some "Coached" composure would have us in the 8. Instead our season is over (we need 8/9 to even have a hope). Given how close we have come so many times the issue is clearly a coaching one.

All I hope is the owners stick to their word about "Perform or your out" type sentiment. For some reason they seemed smitten with Brown, likely sold a turd that only Brown could pull off. I just hope they close him out immediately, or its another 2 years minimum of this sub par coaching and another 2 years missing out on the 8.

Im so exhausted of seeing over the last 30 years some absolutely useless players in our team some how hanging around (ala Kodi) and Coaches doing the same. It is extremely disrespectful of the club's fan/member loyalty.

We deserve better, lets demand better, money talks.

Last edited:

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Halves/hooker are a huge problem, but it is not just that is it?
Well its certainly why we are not turning our plethora of red zone opportunities into points. Its not in your head mate :)

We need a a hooker fast out of dummy half, who knows when to pass and when to run. The usual sorts, a younger fitter Luke, Harry Grant etc.

We need a 5/8th who can execute the offense not stifle the ball, rendering our outside backs pointless. We also need a 5/8th who along with the 7 can deliver pin point bombs that land on or just before the try line, not falling 12m short of the try line.

We have the forwards who are providing us with the ability to consistently get into the redzone at end of set. We now just need to fix the halves and hooker to execute our redzone.

I still think Walsh is a way better 6 than FB and 6 is the issue we have. And FBs are easier to come by.

Id go with this

9 Marquee player 7 S Johnson 6. Walsh 1. Somebody like Nicho Hynes who wants a starting role and is a quality FB with pace.

Its clear Walsh still favours the position he grew up with and he looks far better at 6 than at FB. Shaun Johnson would be a perfect mentor for him and being realistic, likely the only highly consistent half we can lure, plus hes asking less, plus hes a few hundy more than the knee jerk reaction we hired due to letting Shaun Johnson go.

Then Id look to our outside backs, to get some pace on the Wing, if dumping Ken we should have been replacing him with a whippet, not a like for like.

But Kodi is stifling the outside backs, he just doesnt have what it takes, so until that is fixed, Id say fix the 6 and 9 immediately. This has been under the mag glass for 18-24 months now. It has to be fixed before the start of next season.

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
1 player didn't loose yesterday's game. Even if we'd won we were still poor. The Knights were poor also. Loosing made it harder to hide how poor we were.

Things that we did poorly included, passing, tackling, kicking, hitting the ball at speed and 5th tackle options. Everything was making everything worse. We were a shambles.

I'm not sure where we go next. We have new owners, a new coach, new players and 2 of the slickest operators in recruitment and pathways.
We are in that uncomfortable place of needing change and stability at the same time.
In times of change I think of Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse saying "it'll get worse before it gets better."

I have no option but to trust that those making decisions will get it right for the club.
However they don't let short term problems distract them from their long term goals. Gould paraphrase; too often clubs ruin their salary cap for years on a quick fix signing to appease supporters.

So I'm glad I have this forum and everyone here as go through the lows and onto the highs.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
We needed to make the most of the wind behind us in the first half, instead the Knights forwards marched up our end helped by some poor discipline and errors.

2nd half was much better but a two point lead was very unlikely to be enough against that wind.

Probably as a spectacle the worse Warriors game I’be seen since we lost 3-2 to the Storm 15 odd years ago. An horrific game to watch.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Walsh is a half, hes always been a half at heart, and he has X factor. It made no sense to me to throw yet another year down the drain to play Walsh at FB and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Wing. In fact it caused to many problems with the outsideback roster. But I just dont think Walsh will cut it as a FB. It reminds me of Ponga for the Knights, except in reverse.

We have some fantastic forwards in the team now, the only positive I can see right now. We are getting to the redzone so often, that if we were the storm or any other team that has quality halves, quality outside backs and a coach with far better cognition than Brown, we would average 40 points a game.

Which leads me on to Brown, why, why the Flap did we sign him? He is the one coach all players do not want in the NRL. He is simply the worst coach in the NRL, he makes SK look a genius. SK with the talent he now has in this team would have had us back in the top 8 similar to 18, and likely better.

Regardless, pick any Coach and I would take them over Brown. At least SK had a plan and improved certain stats immediately, and 2019 looked like a top 4 year (before the player massacre).

Brown is doing nothing, at least nothing that is reflected on field. He looks like one of those school Dad coaches, thats how much I rate him as a coach. He is going through the motions at training, but these players have been doing this kind of thing all their lives, they need to be "Coached" not "Trained".

As usual Brown will sell it off as a rebuilding year, which is not good enough. 6 losses we could easily have won with some "Coached" composure would have us in the 8. Instead our season is over (we need 8/9 to even have a hope). Given how close we have come so many times the issue is clearly a coaching one.

All I hope is the owners stick to their word about "Perform or your out" type sentiment. For some reason they seemed smitten with Brown, likely sold a turd that only Brown could pull off. I just hope they close him out immediately, or its another 2 years minimum of this sub par coaching and another 2 years missing out on the 8.

Im so exhausted of seeing over the last 30 years some absolutely useless players in our team some how hanging around (ala Kodi) and Coaches doing the same. It is extremely disrespectful of the club's fan/member loyalty.

We deserve better, lets demand better, money talks.
Great Rant mate... you are not alone!

Reactions: AusWarriorsFan

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Just been checking our season stats. Our defence is way better than average in the comp.

We are 10th of 16 on missed tackles and the lowest 1 of 16 on ineffective tackles.

We average 29.3 a game but yesterday got over 43 missed tackles.

I haven't gone back to other games but I recall we have had other games where were well over that average as well.

That indicates for some mysterious reason we have bad games on defence, and if we didn't we would win more.

Considering that tackling is as much about intensity and effort as anything else something is wrong here.

I guess it also shows we have a shite attack, which we know about anyway.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings