Post Match NRL 2019 - Round 1 - Warriors vs Bulldogs Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
Watching the highlights for the hundredth time I don’t know if the NRL are trolling or what but what is the rule for the tackle in the air now? That’s a penalty all the time isn’t it? I’m talking about the two times Crichton tackled Fusitua in the air. So much for player welfare.

Reactions: Hazman and bruce
Watching the highlights for the hundredth time I don’t know if the NRL are trolling or what but what is the rule for the tackle in the air now? That’s a penalty all the time isn’t it? I’m talking about the two times Crichton tackled Fusitua in the air. So much for player welfare.
According to the current NRL rules, a player from the non-kicking team can’t be tackled in the air but Fusitua could because he was from the kicking team.

Here’s a screenshot of the rule:

That said, under Section 15 of the rules, the player from the non-kicking team has to make sure that his tackle is still safe.

Those rules are 2 years old... why have we not seen this before now?

I don’t have a problem if you wrap up the attacking jumper, but Fusitua went beyond the horizontal in the tackle. It is very hard to tackle under the ribs, at that height, with that momentum and not tip a player over

Last edited:
Those rules are 2 years old... why have we not seen this before now?
I get the feeling that players from the non-kicking side have been penalised not for tackling a player in the air but because they haven’t tackled the player “safely”. Personally, I’d rather that there but no mid-air tackles except for within the in-goal area where a player from the kicking team can be tackled in order to hold them up and prevent them from scoring a try.

I think everyone needs to take a step back. Yea the game was great but how much can we really judge. All the talk is just nuts, Kata has changed forever, Burr is the new Mannering, AK is better than Johnson, Green will run the game like clockwork, Hiku can tackle et etc. My god

Absolutely. Without a doubt it was a top performance, and there's obvious signs that the gains we saw last season are now entrenched in this team.

While I get it's cool to see us at the top of the ladder it's only round 1, and if we're using the ladder as a guideline then we basically beat up the worst team in the comp.....way too early and not enough of a gauge to consider us top contenders at this stage for mine.

Another stepping stone next round, Tigers away from home, also confident after a win will present more of a challenge in testing us as things wont as easily go to plan, a lift in intensity will be required......and a good team will lift. It'll be a good challenge.

Some stats from Fox Sports :

Warriors 40 beat Bulldogs 6 at Mt Smart Stadium

— The Warriors 34 point winning margin is their biggest ever win of the Bulldogs, going past their previous best of 26 (34-8 in 2001 and 48-22 in 2003). The 40 points scored is also their most against the Bulldogs in New Zealand and their equal second most at any venue.

— It was the first time the Warriors have scored 40 points against any opponent since 2016 (50-14 v Newcastle) and the first time the Bulldogs have conceded 40 points in a match since 2017 (12-42 v Broncos).

Adam Keighran scores the equal second most points on debut in the Origin Era (1980 onwards) with 16 points. Only Amos Roberts in 2000 with 22 points has scored more on debut. Keighran also became the first Warrior to score a try on debut since Pita Godinet in 2011.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
While I get it's cool to see us at the top of the ladder it's only round 1, and if we're using the ladder as a guideline then we basically beat up the worst team in the comp.....way too early and not enough of a gauge to consider us top contenders at this stage for mine.
But that's a circular argument because the warriors beat them the way they did, they were the worst team in the comp. If the warriors had lost to them would they still be the worst team in the comp. IMO they are no worse ATM than any of the other losing teams this weekend. Until there is more data to work with, more wins more losses, I think its wrong to make statements like this.

And it makes me feel better. Its all about the rainbows and butterflies - man

Ah I see.

Apparently we got him for the same ball park that we would have been paying Gavet.

Its a good trade one for one in cap dollars.
I'd take Leeson every day of the week over Gavet. Word was he was starting to slip into old habits. No brainer, and as for us not needing Ah Mau you are kidding aren't you AusWarrior??

Best bench forward in the game by a long stretch plus we have the reigning Dally M bench player in our 17. Team game, if you have some guns on the pine, it's a win/win for the "Team".

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
By the same rationale then that makes the Warriors no better atm than any other winning team on the weekend......and more to my point that its far too early to call top 4 a formality that some fans have already got us at after the win on the weekend.
Damn right. Who knows what will happen as the season goes.

Damn right. Who knows what will happen as the season goes.
What will happen? I’d have thought that was blindingly obvious.

We’ll be floundering, a pathetic disaster that’s painful to watch. Green will get an early injury that rules him out for the year, leaving AK and Chanel Harris-Tavita to demonstrate their disastrous immaturity. Luke will dislocate his shoulder, come back and then do it again. Kata will forget how to pass. Again. Leaving Fusitua scoring maybe 3 for the year. SK will completely fuck up his bench selections. Hiku will revert to his previous wet lettuce tackling. While our forwards, all bar Bunty, will turn to custard on legs when confronted with determined opposition.

So by the end of the season, as we struggle to avoid the wooden spoon, this forum will be flooded with posts declaring Jamie Soward to be the best NRL pundit who ever lived.

What will happen? I’d have thought that was blindingly obvious.

We’ll be floundering, a pathetic disaster that’s painful to watch. Green will get an early injury that rules him out for the year, leaving AK and Chanel Harris-Tavita to demonstrate their disastrous immaturity. Luke will dislocate his shoulder, come back and then do it again. Kata will forget how to pass. Again. Leaving Fusitua scoring maybe 3 for the year. SK will completely fuck up his bench selections. Hiku will revert to his previous wet lettuce tackling. While our forwards, all bar Bunty, will turn to custard on legs when confronted with determined opposition.

So by the end of the season, as we struggle to avoid the wooden spoon, this forum will be flooded with posts declaring Jamie Soward to be the best NRL pundit who ever lived.
And here I was thinking there was only one author amongst us.