Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
NRL 2019 - Round 1 - Warriors vs Bulldogs Post Match Discussion
New Zealand Warriors vs Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland

Thread to share your thoughts on the Round 1 game between the New Zealand Warriors and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs after the match. Name your Man of the Match, discuss the coach, captain, starting team, bench, opposition, game tactics, substitutions, errors (or lack thereof), penalties (or lack thereof) highs, lows, refs etc.

----------------------------------------------------​

Kata fan club membership up by 1368%

Discuss....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I’ve only just seen the highlights but couldn’t help notice he put his winger away in the lead up to one of the tries.

Great win btw. We’ll need to wait a few weeks to see how significant it was but a great start nonetheless

Reaction score

Bushman

U20's Player
Reaction score
I’ve only just seen the highlights but couldn’t help notice he put his winger away in the lead up to one of the tries.

Great win btw. We’ll need to wait a few weeks to see how significant it was but a great start nonetheless
Likewise only seen the highlights but WOW though tipping the bulldogs for bottom 3... though Aussie experts picked Warriors for wooden Spoon?
Was that Kata passing and often, who would of thought some one trained to play on the right returned to the right side might actually make it work?

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Thought the switch of our left and right players was a dream, because it is a dream come true.

Been wanking on about getting proper players to pair our left Wing going back before the days of Cleary.

Biggest criticism of Cleary from my pov is his sides lacked the players like Tohu and now Peta who could put a big fast Winger in space or at least one on one without having kick it to the beast.

Pretty much have sat back and been frustrated by the neglect of that Wing forever.

Finally Ken gets two serious ball players (attack) which makes the Right edge infinitely more dangerous.

Using the width of the park has never been a strength of the Warriors, even in the Anderson days they relied on freakish unconventional balls a lot by comparison to the template rugby league we saw today.

Happy times. Mannering for all his goodness, was never going to really threaten with ball in hand playing at the line.

So its a new age.

And Inruin I thought Kata looked like the most dangerous back on the field today, part of that will be that the opposition teams on that side of the field are not used to marking him.

Today we saw a whole new way of attacking. Not one try came from the out the backdoor right side play that we relied on so heavily last year.

When Green goes left he deserves Tohu and Peta to create with.

The other thing that really stood out (lots of stuff did) is that our team looked huge across the park which is unusual against a Dogs side.

With Ah Mau joining our pack, Kearney can get away with his skinny little benches, its a simple formula really.

Kearney has hard runners.

Passi
Bunty
Ah Mau
Ken
Fus

Thats basically our prop rotation which is why he dares to have smaller players on his bench than other teams.

RTS today was trying more support play.

The whole thing about having two tradesmen Aussie halves is that if the big boys give them room, those Aussies will continuously make sure the ball goes to the right people at the right time.

Pretty smart keeping Hiku paired with his minder Tohu.

Roache looked good today, Luke will make a big difference.

There are only two suspect defenders in this side, Peta and Lisone.

Provided Tohu stays fit Peta will be ok, Lisone is a fringe play, and he is being pushed by Burr anyway and Pulu and Sao.

So all in all it is a hard running very defensive side, and thats will take us a long long way now that the attack players are well balance right across the park.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
There was a guy called Tohu Harris out there as well ;), and Bam wasn't an easy stop, he is a big boy.
Tohu and Burrs footwork at the line ensured there were no cramping stunted runs (respectfully you dont get that penetration from Mannering, maybe Papalii will be better this year, last year he got crushed in his runs).

Peta and Kata too, they make telling little dummy half runs that really help.

Fark Hiku that maniac did one props hit up, still didnt get smashed, like Jazz hes wriggly.

Yep Lisone was excellent with his leg speed as he can be when he just runs.

That dude just needs to run and watch himself when hes retiring in the middle where they pick his lazy jog backs to death.

Reaction score
Donal

Donal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That was an excellent collective team performance. Everyone across the park contributed and played well.

Didn't think I'd say this - I'd been in the camp that thought losing Shaun was a mistake - but a team effort rather than over-reliance on one excellent player is, on this showing at least, looking like the better idea.

Lots to like about today: Keighran slotted right in and the Green/Keighran combo is working well, Kata stepped up, two big wingers who can take the high ball and take a tackle or two and take some load off the forwards (Maumalo in particular was rampaging today), a forward unit that was solid as anything in every position, Bunty full of running, Paasi and Ah Mau very strong, RTS sharp, Roache with some good runs ... just a great team effort.

You wouldn't be a Warriors fan if you didn't worry even when things look like they're going well for a while, but my only worry is that we might have run into this year's wooden spooners in the first round. After 20 minutes some of them were already looking knackered; their defence fell apart in the second half; and they took a lot of wrong options. We'll know how we're travelling when we run into someone better than they look to be.

And I'm glad we played today. We showed respect to the victims of Christchurch with the anthem and the minute's silence: we also showed that terrorists aren't going to get the satisfaction of disrupting our everyday lives.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
we also showed that terrorists aren't going to get the satisfaction of disrupting our everyday lives.
Yes he did. They electronically frisked everybody coming into the ground.:eek: Sheesh, talk about after horse has bolted. :rolleyes:The fecker was clearly a lone wolf and is behind bars.

Reaction score
Diesel

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Biggest thing for me was the team played as a team and not 12 guys waiting for one to pull a trick out.
Each player today looked like they were giving an extra 10% on last year

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Yes he did. They electronically frisked everybody coming into the ground.:eek: Sheesh, talk about after horse has bolted. :rolleyes:The fecker was clearly a lone wolf and is behind bars.
Yeah its clearly following our terrorism protocols. They have to aye for when the scenario requires a public event to have that level of caution and of course if something had of gone wrong there would be hell to pay.

Really respect all the people that went to the game like yourself.

Reaction score
Navigator

Navigator

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Lone wolf yet 2 others are arrested also, 1 plus 1 is 2 not 1, 1 plus 2 is 3 not 1,
be very surprised if the F1 in Melbourne is not under full security tomorrow as it will have huge numbers of people there.

Reaction score
FuNQie

FuNQie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kata fan club membership up by 1368%

Discuss....
TBH i'd prehaps written him off, does membership come with a fridge magnet?
That would be great, wouldn’t it? Perhaps the new administrator could sort that out.

Meanwhile, I suppose we’ll have to make do with the guide to his various hair styles over the years. After all, it’s captioned by our very own Inruin himself. Not only that, but it’s printed on glossy paper, and being of a handy size is easy for me to keep in my shirt pocket. I can look at it whenever I want! But I did think that 36 pages was maybe overdoing it a bit.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Lone wolf yet 2 others are arrested also, 1 plus 1 is 2 not 1, 1 plus 2 is 3 not 1,
be very surprised if the F1 in Melbourne is not under full security tomorrow as it will have huge numbers of people there.
He was a lone wolf. The others arrested had nothing to do with it. With this sort of low life, who like the publicity of social media, the surveillance has to be on the internet. FFS they have enough power these days. In the US the presidents vehicular route is checked for any fecker living nearby Googling suspicious things like bomb making. The SIS probably stuffed up on this dude, as did the Australians. They spend all their time looking for jihadists. I guess they may as well now because they might be where the next attack is coming from.

Reaction score

pbrown01123

U70's player
Contributor
Reaction score
what a game! every single one of them superb from start to finish
only very slight nitpick is Jazz forcing an offload at 28 - 0 and losing possession

my cup runneth over

Top Bottom