Team List NRL 2018 Round 9 - Warriors vs Tigers TEAM LIST

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.
fizurg

fizurg

Ok, can someone please assure me this Lino to hooker thing is a forum myth?
I’ve never heard of him playing any hooker. Surely they wouldn’t throw him in the deep end at NRL level.
Especially since SK has a history of preferring second rowers as replacement hookers.

Reactions: 2 users

AusWarriorsFan

Need to find a break even point between Luke vs Lawton eg is a 60%
Luke better than a 100% Lawton?
Most definitely Luke is better at 60% but its a massive risk. Whilst Id take Lawton over Jazz, we dont have a good seasoned hooker option either way. And we havnt given Lino a go at hooker, even though he has the skills needed and would mean we cover all injuries from 9 to full back. We prob should get Lino some practise at the role first. Lawton was really average a couple years back, but hes been much better this year. But we need speed off the mark to sneak those penalties from offside markers and get the 7m before passing to Green/Johnson. I think prob Lino is our best option for that. Im 50/50, play Lino and put another one of our players vying for a centre/wing spot on the bench, or play Lawton and just hope he can transfer his improvement this year to first grade.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Most definitely Luke is better at 60% but its a massive risk. Whilst Id take Lawton over Jazz, we dont have a good seasoned hooker option either way. And we havnt given Lino a go at hooker, even though he has the skills needed and would mean we cover all injuries from 9 to full back. We prob should get Lino some practise at the role first. Lawton was really average a couple years back, but hes been much better this year. But we need speed off the mark to sneak those penalties from offside markers and get the 7m before passing to Green/Johnson. I think prob Lino is our best option for that. Im 50/50, play Lino and put another one of our players vying for a centre/wing spot on the bench, or play Lawton and just hope he can transfer his improvement this year to first grade.
I’d rather see Lino play hooker in isp before nrl, I fear opposition will have a field day running through him

AusWarriorsFan

Ok, can someone please assure me this Lino to hooker thing is a forum myth?
Thats the problem. Hes clearly got the skills to do it but its a huge ask. Mind you we did that to Lolohea for a whole season in unkown positions and he was our rookie of the year. Lino brings everything you want from a hooker, especially pace equal to Lukes. But passing, running, kicking. It also like I said covers us for other possible re injuries. Lawton and Jazz is flip a coin. I picked Lawton, but if you watched him for GC he was very average. But ive watch all nsw cup and hes improving.

AusWarriorsFan

I’d rather see Lino play hooker in isp before nrl, I fear opposition will have a field day running through him
Yes I agree. Although Im not sure hes that much of a push over. I think hes about 75% tackle efficiency, so 6% behind Luke. He gives away 6kg but that was weighed when Luke was a little less trim. Both about same height. But Id like to have seen him in NSW cup first. Problem is hes such a damn good 7 thats never going to happen when hes the driving force in us making the 8.

I dont think there is a good answer here Im afraid. Lawton is better now days, but is he good enough for 1st grade, Jazz is like running on sand, Lino has no experience at 9 but would make it very easy to cover any injury from 9 to FB with moving players around but not dramatically out of place.

Reactions: 1 user

WarriorBall

Things looking positive for Issac Luke’s chances of playing tomorrow, the side are as named 1-17 with Anthony Gelling and Sam Cook cut from the side 24hrs out from the game.

Reactions: 4 users

AusWarriorsFan

Oh awesome Luke, but please dont play if you have any chance of making this an 8 week injury etc. If hes playing id rather see Lino cover, mostly due to the rest of the backline injuries, but if Luke did go down it wouldnt be the worst move ever to play him there, or possibly green and shuffle Lino into halves. I picked Lawton, but he really was much a do nothing last year. I just cant pick Jazz. Id love to, hes a gutsy guy with good atitude, just doesnt seem to bring that x factor dust we need in every player on the team.

AusWarriorsFan

Naiqama on Kata is the only thing I see they have over us. Kata for me has been a real dissapointment since his debut. Im not saying hes horribley bad, just not busting that line anymore.

Otherwise we look stronger everywhere else, Papali'i off the bench, ok..... Solid bench.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Luke on target to take on Wests Tigers
Richard Becht & www.photosport.nz
Fri 4 May 2018, 06:21 PM

Hooker Issac Luke is poised to start for the Vodafone Warriors in their ninth-round NRL clash against the Wests Tigers at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday (7.30pm kick-off; match day sponsor: TNT).

He left the field early with a knee injury in the Anzac Day clash against Melbourne and was initially expected to face some time on the sideline.

However, Luke trained early in the week, was named in the line-up on Tuesday and has trained throughout the week.

Set to make his comeback from a hamstring injury is prop James Gavet, who hasn't been in the NRL side since the round three win over Canberra in March.

The squad is now down to 19 with two players from the original 21 dropped off as required tonight 24 hours before kick-off. The two players left off are centre Anthony Gelling and utility Sam Cook, who'll play for the club's Intrust Super Premiership side against the Mounties in Canberra tomorrow.

The six players remaining on the bench are Karl Lawton, Sam Lisone, Isaiah Papali'i, James Gavet, Mason Lino and Albert Vete. Ex-Gold Coast utility Lawton is set to make his debut for the club, becoming Vodafone Warrior #229.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v WESTS TIGERS

7.30pm, Saturday, May 05, 2018
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
Referees: Ben Cummins and Grant Atkins

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c)
2 David Fusitua
3 PETA HIKU
4 SOLOMONE KATA
5 KEN MAUMALO
6 BLAKE GREEN
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 BUNTY AFOA
9 ISSAC LUKE
10 AGNATIUS PAASI
11 SIMON MANNERING
12 TOHU HARRIS
13 ADAM BLAIR

14 KARL LAWTON
15 SAM LISONE
16 ISAIAH PAPALI'I
17 JAMES GAVET
20 MASON LINO
21 ALBERT VETE

HEAD COACH | STEPHEN KEARNEY

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/05/04/luke-on-target-to-take-on-wests-tigers/

Reactions: 4 users

AusWarriorsFan

Yep looks good. Like I said though, who covers Johnson, Kata, Hiku injuries ? I think the risk of playing Lino on the bench is, we can either give him a go at 9 or put in a forward there and if any backs go down we can shuffle. Lawton only covers one spot and whilst was my first pick, Im thinking it might be a bit too narrow minded with SOOO many players returning and the fact he wasnt that well thought of prior years. Tough one. Doesnt change my prediction either way though, just the score.

wrighty

Yep looks good. Like I said though, who covers Johnson, Kata, Hiku injuries ? I think the risk of playing Lino on the bench is, we can either give him a go at 9 or put in a forward there and if any backs go down we can shuffle. Lawton only covers one spot and whilst was my first pick, Im thinking it might be a bit too narrow minded with SOOO many players returning and the fact he wasnt that well thought of prior years. Tough one. Doesnt change my prediction either way though, just the score.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Lawton

Karl Lawton (born 29 November 1995) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League. He plays at halfback, five-eighth, hooker and centre. He previously played for the Gold Coast Titans.

Karl Lawton covers multiple positions not just hooker.

Reactions: 5 users
Swanley

Swanley

It's live on Sky in England so I'll drag myself up for this one. One less pint on Friday
Refused to buy Sky as they only show three games a week! Purchased the WatchNRL for £125 and can watch the games anytime I like! And Chorme Cast to the telly. Very good investment...

Reactions: 1 user

AusWarriorsFan

Karl Lawton (born 29 November 1995) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League. He plays at halfback, five-eighth, hooker and centre. He previously played for the Gold Coast Titans.

Your not telling me something I dont know about Karl lawton :). Have you seen him play for GC? if you will trust him with anything but 9, all the best to you.

Lolohea was a 6 who ended up playing every position in the team for the warriors except 6 and got rookie of the year.

There is a huge space between either loloea or lino and lawton. If Lawton can play half back, Lino can play hooker 2x better. Lawton is simply the pick because he hasnt fluffed up as much this year as with the GC, but he is not the back utility wiki would like to have you believe (or you have me believe). Like I said, i picked him, I know how he plays, ive seen a LOT of his football.

What it does show is we have an issue covering Luke. I think everyone expected better from Jazz.

Last edited:
AlexM

AlexM

I just hope Luke doesn't get Re injured.
He has been one of our best performers this year and he is an extremely classy 9.
Probably the best after Cameron Smith , sometimes better than him just not as consistent.

WarriorBall

He could prove to be a better utility option than Jazz, would also mean we could carry three forwards on the bench instead of one back two forwards and a half forward/hooker.

Reactions: 1 users

wrighty

Your not telling me something I dont know about Karl lawton. Have you seen him play for GC? if you will trust him with anything but 9, all the best to you.

Fair dues. I haven't seen much of him, so happy to rely on your report.

I saw him an ISP half of football and he looked like a real play maker at 9.

Also - who are you predicting will win - since you are on a tipping streak.

AusWarriorsFan

Fair dues. I haven't seen much of him, so happy to rely on your report.

I saw him an ISP half of football and he looked like a real play maker at 9.

Also - who are you predicting will win - since you are on a tipping streak.
Hes doing better, but he just doesnt have the same skill level. Hes complimenting Lino in ISP. One never knows, a player looks absolute .... at one club and comes right at another, I just wouldnt be make that assumption just yet :). I picked him to replace Luke. But personally Id have Lino as the cover. Thats not how SK will play it. Id rather he plays the whole game and Lino on the bench than risk Luke if Luke isnt at least 95%

Last edited:

AusWarriorsFan

He could prove to be a better utility option than Jazz, would also mean we could carry three forwards on the bench instead of one back two forwards and a half forward/hooker.
Well thats what I said about Lino, except Lino is the higher quality player. Lino would cover 9 to 6 which would give us full coverage from 9 to full back and at high quality. Where Lawton, Id not be trusting his skill level for the other positions.

But Lino needs to learn 9 before we can expect him to play it as back up, which is hard given hes the reason we are so successful at nsw cup, we cant just drop lawton and move lino to 9 to educate him at the position. I do think he could do it off the bench at a pinch though, hes fast, he will run from dummy half and hes a great passer, I cant see him fluffing up 9. Lawton at 7 or 6 though, oh god if that happens Id lose all respect SK.

Status
Not open for further replies.