minute

Rate the game.

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feels like the game has moved closer to Rugby Union with the emphasis being placed on penalties as a way of winning games ?

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Feels like the game has moved closer to Rugby Union with the emphasis being placed on penalties as a way of winning games ?

It seems that way because teams are adjusting. Refs have clearly been told that enough is enough and the ruck and play the ball need to be cleaned up. That has been the story for years now but it seems like it's finally happening. Defenders need to get their hands off the ball, stop wrestling on the ground, get off the man and get square at marker. The team in possession needs to make a genuine effort to put their foot on the ball when playing it.

Teams have been used to playing the Storm style of 'whoever wins the wrestle wins the game'....and it was awful to watch at times. Quicker play the balls and a cleaner ruck opens the game back up to the more mobile sides. Once teams start training and forming game plans to avoid being penalised to death, we will see less penalties. For me I'm more than happy for the refs to penalise that rubbish, and I'm happy for them to have a lower threshold to send players to the sin bin.

It seems that way because teams are adjusting. Refs have clearly been told that enough is enough and the ruck and play the ball need to be cleaned up. That has been the story for years now but it seems like it's finally happening. Defenders need to get their hands off the ball, stop wrestling on the ground, get off the man and get square at marker. The team in possession needs to make a genuine effort to put their foot on the ball when playing it.

Teams have been used to playing the Storm style of 'whoever wins the wrestle wins the game'....and it was awful to watch at times. Quicker play the balls and a cleaner ruck opens the game back up to the more mobile sides. Once teams start training and forming game plans to avoid being penalised to death, we will see less penalties. For me I'm more than happy for the refs to penalise that rubbish, and I'm happy for them to have a lower threshold to send players to the sin bin.
I'm happy with the lowered threshold as well, it somewhat nullifies the 'Refs discretion' which formerly favored higher profile teams.

This way...where everyone is copping some....the whole thing leaves less room for subjectivity.

Its fairer is what I'm trying to say.

The other thing I notice from the Refs mic is constant warning of Tohu Harris for leaving the ten meter mark too early (a hang over from his Storm training ?).

The ten meters is where I think we are really benefiting....teams used to smother us...at least now. If say we are twelve meters back like many claim...that's still better than running at a team that's two meters in front of the Ref.

The meters out players are making have gone from big average to less than acceptable....to unexplainable quantum gains.

It looks like it is most noticeable in early tackles...where the Refs are really scrutinizing the set.

As you say....the speed players have the edge over the big slow guys...its almost as revolutionary as the shift from the Steve Roach type 5 meter Prop to the ten meter guys like Webcke....bigger is definitely not better in of itself.

Last edited:

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Whatever happened to Sterlo's show? The one with the hi tech gadgets and breakdowns. Was by far the best in depth programme I have ever seen. Always like Sterlos analysis. You always learnt something from that guy...

Probably too complicated for your typicsl Aussie joe bloggs who prefers shits and giggles to real discussion

Reactions: Inruin

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Whatever happened to Sterlo's show? The one with the hi tech gadgets and breakdowns. Was by far the best in depth programme I have ever seen. Always like Sterlos analysis. You always learnt something from that guy...
Sterlo signed an exclusive deal with channel 9 at the end of last year, effectively killing his Fox Sports show.

100% footy (with gus gould), The big league wrap (quite good) and NRL360 are the pick of the shows this year.

Last edited:

ToiletDuck

Administrator
100% Footy is quite good actually. When I saw Gus was on the panel I thought it’d just be another platform for him to have ridiculous rants. But from what I’ve seen he’s quite measured. Best thing I’ve seen him say was a couple of weeks ago when he shut down Paul Gallen by saying Origin is no longer the pinnacle of the game as many of the best players aren’t playing it (ie the Brits, Kiwis and other pacific island nations). Gallen looked mortified, like someone had blasphemed in front of him.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
100% Footy is quite good actually. When I saw Gus was on the panel I thought it’d just be another platform for him to have ridiculous rants. But from what I’ve seen he’s quite measured. Best thing I’ve seen him say was a couple of weeks ago when he shut down Paul Gallen by saying Origin is no longer the pinnacle of the game as many of the best players aren’t playing it (ie the Brits, Kiwis and other pacific island nations). Gallen looked mortified, like someone had blasphemed in front of him.

Gallens expression was gold, you could tell he’d never even given a thought to Origin not being the top of everyone’s priorities.
Found it telling how Gould was saying that in the future origin would become less and less significant as more players not from Australian backgrounds were becoming more prominent in the game-
Gallen “but origin is the pinnacle”
Gould “ not if your from nz or Fiji or England or Tonga etc”
Gallen looking like he’d just found out Santa wasn’t real

I'm happy with the lowered threshold as well, it somewhat nullifies the 'Refs discretion' which formerly favored higher profile teams.

This way...where everyone is copping some....the whole thing leaves less room for subjectivity.

Its fairer is what I'm trying to say.

The other thing I notice from the Refs mic is constant warning of Tohu Harris for leaving the ten meter mark too early (a hang over from his Storm training ?).

The ten meters is where I think we are really benefiting....teams used to smother us...at least now. If say we are twelve meters back like many claim...that's still better than running at a team that's two meters in front of the Ref.

The meters out players are making have gone from big average to less than acceptable....to unexplainable quantum gains.

It looks like it is most noticeable in early tackles...where the Refs are really scrutinizing the set.

As you say....the speed players have the edge over the big slow guys...its almost as revolutionary as the shift from the Steve Roach type 5 meter Prop to the ten meter guys like Webcke....bigger is definitely not better in of itself.

I have said this before. There is no answer to speed.

I would counter that by saying that in rugby league, penalties are seen as a way of eating up time and closing out games. As opposed to rugby union where it's genuinely possible to win games by only kicking penalties. Or kicking drop goals.

I know the Warriors were part of a 4-2 game years ago against the Storm which I'm sure was all penalties, but those games are much rarer in league.

Reactions: Sup42

wrighty

Plus as someone pointed out, you eliminate one of the pathways of your opposition back into the game...i,e a TRY and conversion places them within one penalty of catching you.

The other thing is this side can repel so much that buying a rest for five minutes of tackling is probably a pretty safe option.
Different story if we were not one of the best defensive teams in the league.

To further this point, now that I think about it, in Union the stormers were beating the hurricanes by 8 points with 5 minutes to play and the canes first kicked a penalty and then got a converted try with time up on the clock.

I guess the other major factor is that we won. So the decision didn’t hurt us. Still it was one the warriors obviously debated as they spent some time making their mind up.

Of all the league shows on Fox it rated the worst, also he has a bit of history with Rothfield and Kent.

Reactions: mt.wellington