• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Matty Johns takes the piss out of everyone- including himself.

In fact I’d say all Aussies take cheap shots at each other just for laughs.We’re not immuned from that and righty so.

In my eyes no one “hates” the Warriors. They frustrate everyone because they USED to underperform.

We are not a threat to them. No yet...

I will cherish the day when the discussion becomes “ how do we beat the warriors....”

edit: because they used to underperform...

Reactions: 2 users
Sup42

Sup42

I think there is flying under the Radar, and then there is this invisible category where you are irrelevant.

Melbourne remind me of the latter, they are better appreciated outside their home town.

The risk to the Warriors is that they become the Breakers, sell out home games, lots of success, missed opportunity to be relevant.

SKY are largely responsible for the public profile of the Warriors and while they deliver such a poor product, nothing the Warriors achieve will earn back the ground that was lost in 2004.

The difference with League is that there is a core of support which never wavers, the NRL is such a great product, our local media have real opportunity to change their largely unchanged indifference and take a lead in the story.

The Americas cup has always been a media creation (Put your hand up here if you are a frequent Sailor or watcher of all things Sailing).

There have been times where Fans of the cup were jaded by the Carry ons in that rich mans game...but hey...the Media have been masterful at dragging us back to the screen every time.

The concern I have is that when the Warriors get somewhere in this comp, the script...the media narrative of what it all means will be somewhat like the half arsed appreciation of the achievement....due to the poor information feed.

Interest will likely go into decline rather than create a platform for the Sport here in NZ.

Why ? take a look back to when the Warriors entered the Comp...after the initial peak, interest in the sport of Rugby League died off from where it was when the Winfeild cup was free to air on TV here.

It is about perception, It is about how the product is sold to the masses, in New Zealand it is about having the best voices in sport fronting a particular sports profile in the minds of the public.

Will we see a flood of young New Zealand European teenagers applying to play at local clubs here when the Warriors win this thing ? No...because the reason that group flooded to League in my youth...was because League was cool...the Winfield cup was packed with well promoted Australian Stars and a few well appreciated Kiwis,

Graham Hughes and Graham Lowe were the Peter Montgomery of League....Experts with actual personalities and very pleasant voices to listen to...the exact opposite SKY shit coverage gets you now.

Damage.

Reactions: 3 users
Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
One thing SK has taught me this year is that you can dream the impossible and it can come true.

People have to rise to the challenge with an open mind

and not think like Bruce (sorry Bruce, that’s a cheap shot but it’s also true)

There is nothing more satisfying in life than being positive about something and seeing the results you wanted. And if it doesn’t work, meh, try again. Learn from it and come back a better person. That’s what I tell my kids. Be positive in adversity. As bob Marley once said “everything’s gonna be alright...”

I’d say the same to Bruce and all the skeptics out there. It’s ok to be positive . Everything’s gonna be alright...... no women no....

This post should probably go in the SK thread really...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

∆∆∆∆what that guy above said∆∆∆∆

But we could have someone like Satae on the bench injected at the end of a half running hard at tired players. If Roger Tuivasa-Sheck gets injured, then Fusitua or Hiku can cover fullback easy enough with Tohu Harris or Mannering to the centres. The team is winning so I guess you can't be too critical. I just think we might be missing a trick here
Totally agree, looking at it from the other angle since we have so much 2nd row cover, he is really only there to cover centre. Why not just pick someone like CNK on the bench who can cover 1-5.

Reactions: 1 user
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

This team has Ken, Fusitua and Kata punching it up hard and fast followed now by a trio that are coming into form as a group in Bunty, Paasi, then Pulu.
Yea the difference is clear, although I saw a stat at the end of last season David Fusitua led the NRL in metres per carry inside their own 20 last season. He is a deceptively difficult guy to put down.

Reactions: 1 users
Tragic

Tragic

To be fair, they gave not much more than 30 seconds to all games. Obviously, with James Graham and Sam Burgess as guests, their games get a bit more.

It's an entertainment show. If you want some decent review of our game, watch Big League Wrap on Tuesday - we got a really good wrap last week and I would expect another this week
Big League Wrap is Monday night just so you dont miss it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

We had an awesome time at the games on Saturday.

First time in the Lower East stand (usually we sit on the other side) and it was great.

Was stoked that they played Slice of Heaven when we ran out rather than that terrible Savage track that has haunted me for a couple of seasons now.

I'm interested to see how many people come to the game this week against the Broncos. We've had a bumper start to the season thanks to the cheap Round 2 tickets, the Double Header and of course the Warriors playing well.

We had 13,826 last year against an Origin affected Broncos team so you'd have to say 15,000 would be a pass mark this week.

Makasene

Makasene

First time in the Lower East stand (usually we sit on the other side) and it was great.

Was stoked that they played Slice of Heaven when we ran out rather than that terrible Savage track that has haunted me for a couple of seasons now.

I'm interested to see how many people come to the game this week against the Broncos. We've had a bumper start to the season thanks to the cheap Round 2 tickets, the Double Header and of course the Warriors playing well.

We had 13,826 last year against an Origin affected Broncos team so you'd have to say 15,000 would be a pass mark this week.

I think you will see close to 20,000

The double header certainly brought more people in but 5 wins in a row and a second game in a row at home, there will be a lot of people this week keen to go a long

Juju

My season membership seats are West also - sat in the East for the game - East is a far superior views experience - I'm thinking of switching over tbh.

I absolutely loved Dobbo for the run out - clever by the club. I hope it becomes "THE" Warriors song - like the Tigers with eye of the tiger or Manly with eagle rock.

Makasene

Makasene

My season membership seats are West also - sat in the East for the game - East is a far superior views experience - I'm thinking of switching over tbh.

I absolutely loved Dobbo for the run out - clever by the club. I hope it becomes "THE" Warriors song - like the Tigers with eye of the tiger or Manly with eagle rock.

First two seasons were in West. Now 5th season in East and will never go back!

RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

I was in the West Stand for many years then switch to Eastern maybe 6 years ago. I agree, the view is much better. Front row, upper stand, 40 meter mark, primo.

razzrillinger

razzrillinger

Yeah a mixture of the stand being closer to the field and being at a steeper angle made for great viewing. It's a shame that you have to enter via Gate C. I prefer parking on the other side of the stadium and entering via Gate A.

Slice of Heaven is definitely the "Kiwi" song that Aussies would think of straight off the bat and for good reason, it's a great song.

The SWIDT song they played with the video of all the hits in between the games was awesome too.

Juju

Y
Slice of Heaven is definitely the "Kiwi" song that Aussies would think of straight off the bat and for good reason, it's a great song.

The SWIDT song they played with the video of all the hits in between the games was awesome too.
Slice of Heaven also has ties to when the Kiwis won the 2008 RLWC also (the team sung it as a chant). I have a feeling if the club can persist it'll become iconic. I was impressed by the club making the change TBH.

Reactions: 4 users
Sup42

Sup42

I have watched Matty Johns since he signed with Fox and had his own gigs. He doesn't "hate the Warriors", in fact he used to regularly tip us for the top 4. And like many others he has stated that a strong Warriors side is good for rugby league in general. But the club has become such a laughing stock that we've become easy whipping boys, and we have noone else to blame but ourselves. The last 6 years have been an absolute farce from the Warriors, starting from the top down. Some of the coaching, recruitment and retention decisions have been amongst the worst in the club's history, that combined with the fact that the culture of the place was clearly an absolute joke. Does anyone here remember how much shit Souths copped during their years of shite performances? They copped much worse than we have, and they're a Sydney based club with years of heritage behind them.

We've won 5 games, that does not erase years of rubbish. You don't just get given respect, you earn it with your performances on and off the field, and this club has failed in both areas - hence it is not surprising the reactions we get from the league media in general. This year is a strong start in terms of undoing that poor opinion, but it needs to be sustained. I for one am still sceptical, so I don't expect non-supporters of the club to be any different.
When people like yourself walked away from the Warriors, I got very concerned for the codes survival and blamed the Warriors for destroying the game here (our darkest hour, no wonder you're sticking to the reality path).

There are still some good posters from this forum that haven't come back. That's a shame, still as you say, the Warriors went beyond the joke.

Do you have a criteria in your mind by where the Warriors have done enough for un guarded support ? Or is it more of a gut thing?

My own take on it (I'm living it for now) is that when Kearney sacked the players I felt listened to (,in a metaphorical sense).

I hope we never see the sack the players thread so popular nor Sack the coach thread so frequented in future.

It felt like all we had to keep us here was arguing over who was to blame, I'd actually given up on wasting thought on a solution.

Sacking the players and keeping the Coach was exactly the starting point.

Kearney brought in so many of the type of player that he likes (bruising backrow Prop interchange types, Centers with a lot of experience, a half with a Melbourne template in his head) my opinion of the Warriors changed.

It started to feel like 2001. A new team. A new CEO. Brian Smith was big news to me....I think that has been coming a long time...a real deal NRL coach in our set up. Mr Alex corvo.

When I saw the way they rolled out in Perth, my Journey to the light played out in the short space of that one game.

They looked different...lean and mean and they had more cardio capacity than the Rabbitohs....the counter punch was back...you score we hit back...I was gone...100% Warrior delusional syndrome" .

To me, the way they defended in round one, I thought we would destroy anyone if only they could do this for eighty like the Aussies...if only someone could convince our players.

Meantime somewhere in the far West of Australia the battle wages on...after early promise the Warriors are now 12 versus 14 and Simon's not playing...

When the Ref sent a player off...my faith waivered...I thought oh crap we will lose from here...the old sick feeling kicked in....but no. The team conceded two trys...bang bang....but the Warriors settled and got a scrum like any REAL Nrl side would. Rather than run out of Gas after that set back they kept going til the last 2 minutes....then shit got shakey...but the Rabbits try was consolation. In the post analysis of that win I thought this may only last a week....but as they say the rest is history....no matter what's thrown at them...no matter how hard they have made it for themselves in some passages...someone always jumps in and says calm the heck down...get back to the plan...and they all get in the grind together and start rowing in the same direction.

Kearney has his own team now, his own staff, and I think it's reasonable to expect they win half their games from here. a feat I would be more than satisfied with since that would have them well in the top eight.

This year is meant to be a rebuild year.

It's a new team. In some ways a new Owner and new fans would be fitting...a new club ( just piss off with name changes and new Jerseys, new coaches aye Warriors).

This Broncos face a combination of forward no one has ever faced before this Kearney creation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Stone

Stone

How good did the team running out to Dobbyn's "Slice of Heaven" sound over a big sound system also.
The opening lyrics are absolutely perfect for all us loyal Warriors supporters ...

Hey I gotta lot of faith in you ... I'll stick with you kid that's the bottom line :singing:

I'm pretty sure the AB's have also used Slice of Heaven ... but bugger it ... our song now

Last edited:
Makasene

Makasene

Man I've seen a number of Warriors jerseys, hats, polos etc round town today.

Winning fixes everything. Warriors are the hottest ticket in town at the moment

Reactions: 6 users

theleagueguy

I do find it ironic that the Knights had three consecutive wooden spoons in yet we where considered worst & Both Johns brothers had them making the top 8.