General NRL 2018 Round 4 - General Discussion

Gotta say that the old guard of Origin/Australian stars are all starting to look old. We may be headed into a new era
Can’t help but wonder if Wayne Bennett’s time might be up pretty soon too. I hope not as I’ve always been a fan and have a lot of respect for the man. But at tonight’s game, I don’t know, he just looked really old and tired, even more than usual and that’s saying something.
Then again, playing as rubbish as his team did will probably do that to you though.

Can’t help but wonder if Wayne Bennett’s time might be up pretty soon too. I hope not as I’ve always been a fan and have a lot of respect for the man. But at tonight’s game, I don’t know, he just looked really old and tired, even more than usual and that’s saying something.
Then again, playing as rubbish as his team did will probably do that to you though.
He aged a lot last year I thought, now he looks like Mr Burns off The Simpsons

Picking the slippery eels to get up tonite against the tigers (although i hope not) - seeing their poison chalice hayne isn't playing. :angelic::angelic::angelic:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ok.
So my opinion is that the correct response and the desired response from players and coaches is to amend their behaviour and adapt rather than to throw their toys out of the cot.
I feel in the long run the game will be better for it.

I don't feel the refs are trigger happy, they have simply been told to call penalties when they see them. It is a player and coach issue as far as I'm concerned.
Absolutely.

Easing off on penalties is like the justice system easing up on shoplifters because too many of them are coming before the courts. That of course sends the wrong message. Its the players and coaches that need to stop infringing. Simple as that. They have no one to blame but themselves if they do not heed the warnings.

There will always be errors on the refs part but that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes. They are only human after all.

I want to see the game respect refs like rugby union players do. As soon as a penalty is blown the opposition are alredy backing up 10 metres. The media, especially the commentators, need to lay off giving the refs a hard time every single penalty they blow. This is another thing that union does so well.

I really do hope the refs stick to their guns over this. Some teams have been getting away with it for far too long...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Absolutely.

Easing off on penalties is like the justice system easing up on shoplifters because too many of them are coming before the courts. That of course sends the wrong message. Its the players and coaches that need to stop infringing. Simple as that. They have no one to blame but themselves if they do not heed the warnings.

There will always be errors on the refs part but that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes. They are only human after all.

I want to see the game respect refs like rugby union players do. As soon as a penalty is blown the opposition are alredy backing up 10 metres. The media, especially the commentators, need to lay off giving the refs a hard time every single penalty they blow. This is another thing that union does so well.

I really do hope the refs stick to their guns over this. Some teams have been getting away with it for far too long...
many moons ago, i remember an edict came down from NRL hq via Murdock or Packer or whoever actually owned the show, and basically said that for the good of the game commentators were not to comment on Refs. And it all stopped. And the game went ballistic, in pace of play and cleanliness. Thats what we need now. Only of course the opposition (sky or 9 wouldnt lay off would they)

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Absolutely.

Gotta agree on this. For too long the ptb, offside, and repeat infringements were such a joke. People are blaming the refs for slowing the game down, but its the coaches and the players the actually infringe.

Warriors could really benefit here. If we continue winning and respecting the ref, we *should* not only get the 50/50 calls, but also the respect of the refs as we are working with them, and not against them.
Melbourne thought that they were still above the law, and the refs rightly put Cam '3rd referee' Smith back in his place. As long as they keep pushing back, I'm betting the refs will keep hammering them.
Eventually everyone will get the message, areas will get cleaned up and the game will speed up again.

Absolutely.

Paul Gallen said that it is up to the players to listen to the Refs. Why pandder to those breaking the rules. There are lots of penalties because they are breaking the rules lots.