Rate the game.

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• FFF---

Results are only viewable after voting.

Old Sid

Well I hope we get anyone but Panthers next week. They look a whole different kettle of fish with Maloney.

My only memory of Warriors playoffs was our standoff Michael Witt - running in a try into the corner but he didn't touch it down. He started celebrating instead,

"Put the ball down Son!"

Not too sure on that one. Panthers had nothing to lose being behind, chanced their arm and got very lucky with several kicks/bounces.

Reactions: 1 user
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Love Mason but think he’s a half or nothing, defensively although he tries hard and will get in position he just gets bumped off far to often due to his size to play anywhere else.

Reactions: 7 users
ttkk19

ttkk19

Ken would be in my team every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Without any hesitation whatsoever.

Saying that all Ken has is hit ups is like saying all Mannering has is tackling. Grossly unfair.

If you said something similar last year I may have somewhat agreed with you. His improvement has been phenomenal. He has got a good late step that has helped him break many tackles. His defensive reads are usually excellent. When he comes in for a spot tackle to shut down a dangerous situation he usually nails it. His hands are good. He’s taken care of a lot of tricky kicks.

As far as the hit ups go, our team would be a lot lot worse without his energy carrying us out of yardage on the tough carries. He’s one of the best in the NRL at it.

If Kata was more inclined to pass I very much doubt you’d see Ken as just a hit up merchant.

I'd have to strongly disagree mate.
While he HAS improved I think he's basically gone from being a bad winger to an average one.

The late step he's developed has only helped improve his hit-ups, it hasn't added another dimension to his game. His defensive reads are usually on but I hardly see that as proficiency seeing as he only ever tackles with his chest and never seems to stick. :facepalm: I mean the attacking player literally always bounces off of him, he's like a speed bump who gives the rest of the team time to scramble.

Gee he's got good hands?! :eek::eek: Well give the man a medal, not once in the competitions history has there been a player with the awesome talent of 'GOOD HANDS'. Joey Johns, Wally Lewis and Stacy Jones should bow down at the awesome ability that is Maumalo's good hands!! That's part and parcel with first grade mate, same as taking the kicks. All the other wingers do it.

I don't wanna downplay how important he is to the team because his hit-ups are HUGE for us, but I really worry if that'll be enough come finals time. All the best wingers in the comp (Mansour, Addo-Carr, Ferguson) have OTHER skills besides bringing the ball back that make them more of a threat. Whether it be aerial ability (Fusitua, McDonald, Vunivalu), Speed and spark (Addo-Carr, French, Smith), Passing and ball skills (Rapana, Mansour).

tbh even if Kata set more tries up for maumalo I don't think I'd be able to call him a real 'try-scorer'

does nobody remember all those times where Ken's been given clean ball down the sideline and either dropped it, been bundled into touch or stopped and come back infield because he didn't back himself in the corner? The fact is Maumalo isn't a guy who can FIND THE TRYLINE. He's not a natural try scorer at all. Any player can stand at the end of a set play and put the ball down but in todays game a good winger needs to be able to CREATE AND FINISH. I mean seriously, his pass selection is horrible, he doesn't have any ball skills as we've seen, he's got no offloading game and we've kicked to him so many times with no reward.

All you need to do is look up other wingers' highlights to see what it is we're missing. Reamus Smith's hat-trick against the dragons, Fusitua' game against Manly, Addo-Carr's career highlights, or even Rapana's or Mansour's. Winger's have become some of the most dynamic players in the game and huge when it comes to attacking and setting up/scoring tries.

If I were Kearney I'd seriously consider putting Hiku on the left wing and using Beale as right center. Regardless of what happens short term I seriously can't see Maumalo continuing on as a regular winger in FG for more than a 1-2 more years. With his eventual loss of speed and impact he won't have any positives left to keep out these younger, more rounded guys like Perham and Pauga.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
While he HAS improved I think he's basically gone from being a bad winger to an average one.

The late step he's developed has only helped improve his hit-ups, it hasn't added another dimension to his game. His defensive reads are usually on but I hardly see that as proficiency seeing as he only ever tackles with his chest and never seems to stick. :facepalm: I mean the attacking player literally always bounces off of him, he's like a speed bump who gives the rest of the team time to scramble.

Gee he's got good hands?! :eek::eek: Well give the man a medal, not once in the competitions history has there been a player with the awesome talent of 'GOOD HANDS'. Joey Johns, Wally Lewis and Stacy Jones should bow down at the awesome ability that is Maumalo's good hands!! That's part and parcel with first grade mate, same as taking the kicks. All the other wingers do it.

I don't wanna downplay how important he is to the team because his hit-ups are HUGE for us, but I really worry if that'll be enough come finals time. All the best wingers in the comp (Mansour, Addo-Carr, Ferguson) have OTHER skills besides bringing the ball back that make them more of a threat. Whether it be aerial ability (Fusitua, McDonald, Vunivalu), Speed and spark (Addo-Carr, French, Smith), Passing and ball skills (Rapana, Mansour).

tbh even if Kata set more tries up for maumalo I don't think I'd be able to call him a real 'try-scorer'

does nobody remember all those times where Ken's been given clean ball down the sideline and either dropped it, been bundled into touch or stopped and come back infield because he didn't back himself in the corner? The fact is Maumalo isn't a guy who can FIND THE TRYLINE. He's not a natural try scorer at all. Any player can stand at the end of a set play and put the ball down but in todays game a good winger needs to be able to CREATE AND FINISH. I mean seriously, his pass selection is horrible, he doesn't have any ball skills as we've seen, he's got no offloading game and we've kicked to him so many times with no reward.

All you need to do is look up other wingers' highlights to see what it is we're missing. Reamus Smith's hat-trick against the dragons, Fusitua' game against Manly, Addo-Carr's career highlights, or even Rapana's or Mansour's. Winger's have become some of the most dynamic players in the game and huge when it comes to attacking and setting up/scoring tries.

If I were Kearney I'd seriously consider putting Hiku on the left wing and using Beale as right center. Regardless of what happens short term I seriously can't see Maumalo continuing on as a regular winger in FG for more than a 1-2 more years. With his eventual loss of speed and impact he won't have any positives left to keep out these younger, more rounded guys like Perham and Pauga.
Can throw Soosomea in there aswell, extremely strong, lightning fast and can find the line.

Reactions: 3 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Smith was horrendous last night. His passes wouldn’t have hit the barn doors at times. Melbourne were appalling.
They were almost a reserve grade team remember. Just imagine if we were in that position.
The Leilua one where he slid into touch but we got penalised was bad.
I can only think the ref called held. There was so much noise from the crowd I couldn't hear but it was a marginal call.
There were two in Hikus tackle. Should have been a penalty. Soliola was still involved.
Yes but is was a bloody loose carry, something that Hiku can do.
didn’t seem to play as badly as a lot of posters seem to think, my non-warriors mate I watched it with even commented that he didn’t understand the shit he gets- as another poster(sorry bro) mentioned his kicking % is higher than Cam Smith and I felt the grubbed playing for the repeat set at the death- although we fucked it up- was perfect game management.
Chairman of the Shaun Johnson groupies club eh Matiu? Credit and criticism are both fair when they can be supported. We beat Canberra on every stat except kicking metres. Their kickers kept them in the game, especially that 40/20 from Sam Brown. Sam who? I dunno Bruce but he can kick 40/20's from nowhere and was one of the kickers that kept their forwards in the game. Before that 40/20 the Raiders forwards were stuffed. They were milling around with their hands on their hips, they were absolutely rooted. The 40/20 fired them up, and our forwards down and they scored a soft try through who...Shaun Johnson. For a long time now, years in fact this forum has been moaning about the lack of sting from our forwards, well last night our forwards did the job very well, but our kickers didn't match theirs.

Reactions: 2 users
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Perhams a fullback or five eighth. He isn’t a winger. Pauga?? Seriously? I’ll leave it there.

Loss of speed? He’s what 24? Not going to happen anytime soon.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I think our option taking will improve when Green is back. That was a very good pack they went against last night. They lost nothing in comparison.

He hasnt really been mentioned but I thought Satae went well. He is putting up his hand to be in the 17. Jazz gives everything for the team. A couple of mistakes but that enthusiasm is gold if the team is tiring.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
You can tackle the attacking player in the air from a kick, just not a defensive player. Completely legal.
That still was before Ken put his arms around him. I saw it and he was still off the ground. It was marginal but I have seen those penalised.
I think you would have to ask what Ken would be like outside Hiku and Johnson, and of course Harris. The defence has to watch all those three really hard, especially Shaun Johnson and that gives room to Fusitua. He doesn't need much room admittedly but they still give it to him. In the case of Kata they know what he is going to do, and although the kid is immensely strong they don't have to worry about Ken. If Kata had another dimension to his game I am sure we would see a much more potent winger.
I think our option taking will improve when Green is back. That was a very good pack they went against last night. They lost nothing in comparison.

He hasnt really been mentioned but I thought Satae went well. He is putting up his hand to be in the 17. Jazz gives everything for the team. A couple of mistakes but that enthusiasm is gold if the team is tiring.
I agree. Our forwards were very good in every department.

• Sad
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Chairman of the SJ groupies club eh Matiu? Credit and criticism are both fair when they can be supported. We beat Canberra on every stat except kicking metres. Their kickers kept them in the game, especially that 40/20 from Sam Brown. Sam who? I dunno Bruce but he can kick 40/20's from nowhere and was one of the kickers that kept their forwards in the game. Before that 40/20 the Raiders forwards were stuffed. They were milling around with their hands on their hips, they were absolutely rooted. The 40/20 fired them up, and our forwards down and they scored a soft try through who...SJ. For a long time now, years in fact this forum has been moaning about the lack of sting from our forwards, well last night our forwards did the job very well, but our kickers didn't match theirs.
Not at all just don’t think he was horrendous as the doom and gloom patrol on here chant.
No player pulls off the miracle plays like some expect him to every play.
Pretty much all the halves in the comp are among the top paid players for their team so find it weird he gets singled out for being paid what he is (which is on par with many in his position) when half of them didn’t make the 8.
Yup Raiders ran through him for their first try but that’s league 101 if you’re a big forward- run at the smallest player you can- which was also seen with Mason later in the game. In fact generally his defence has improved of late, Maloney is on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to how halves can defend.
No top line Aussie half is going to come here so we do the best with the best NZ one we have- who is pretty handy one at that.
Just don’t get the tall poppies who can’t celebrate we are finally in the 8 and still wanna find something to moan about is all

Reactions: 3 users
ttkk19

ttkk19

I think you would have to ask what Ken would be like outside Hiku and Johnson, and of course Harris. The defence has to watch all those three really hard, especially Shaun Johnson and that gives room to Fusitua. He doesn't need much room admittedly but they still give it to him. In the case of Kata they know what he is going to do, and although the kid is immensely strong they don't have to worry about Ken. If Kata had another dimension to his game I am sure we would see a much more potent winger.

If Ken were playing outside those guys he definitely would have scored more tries this season... but not nearly as many as Fusitua. But that's beside the point because you're still overlooking my main point that maumalo doesn't offer anything else besides hit-ups. Fusitua scored tries from cross-kicks, freakish put-downs in the corner, using speed and also in support play while ALSO setting up tries back on the inside after making a break down the sideline and laying on a good pass for his support. Maumalo can't do any of that.

Perhams a fullback or five eighth. He isn’t a winger. Pauga?? Seriously? I’ll leave it there.

Loss of speed? He’s what 24? Not going to happen anytime soon.

Didn't Roger Tuivasa-Sheck start out on the wing and win winger of the year? Didn't Locke start out on the wing? Slater? Fisiahii? If not those guys what about Soosomea? My point was that there are a plethora of wingers out there with more to offer than just hitups and that's gonna catch up to Big Ken real quick.

Can throw Soosomea in there aswell, extremely strong, lightning fast and can find the line.

Yeah cheers I just remembered him when writing this post. And even if we don't promote one of our young guys there'll be heaps of young outside backs in aussie (or union) who could make a better fist of things too.

Again I'm not trying to bag on Ken because his effort and work-rate is huge but I definitely think we need more from our wingers. You can throw him into the same boat as Kata. Do you guys really think Hiku wouldn't be an upgrade on that left wing? Beale on the right is definitely a safer bet because of his defence but Hiku's got too much spark to leave out of the side. A good selection headache to have at the very least.

Reactions: 2 users
surfin

surfin

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12117331
League: Lucky New Zealand Warriors need better in NRL playoffs

I am not Michael Burgess;), but he sees it as I do. Also, and again, I am sure Ken Maumolo could have been penalised in the dying minutes for tackling a player in the air. Sure it was just a grab but it was a tackle and his feet were off the ground. There is no guarantee Canberra would have scored from that but there was no guarantee we would have held out either. Mind you we tend to bounce back after playing ugly so watch out next week.:)

Do you mean when he tackled an attacking player in the air, as that's the only one I can think of, if so learn the rules.

• Haha

AusWarriorsFan

Newc keeping our Home game alive, go Knights go. Dragons will be out first round. Panthers get their halves back and destroy a weakened storm. Halves are just sooooo important. Look at newc when they used roberts and hodgedson, they sucked,

But seriously cant see all 3 teams losing, realy needed Storm to win last night. And we needed to put 20-30+ on our FnA

Last edited: