• A

• B

• C

• FFF---

Results are only viewable after voting.
Warrior482

Warrior482

Good scrappy win.

Ricky would've had the raiders playing this as their finals game, they definitely played as such but also showed their deficiencies with "too much weights", etc etc.
Fmd they are a massive side but unless Cooper Cronk is thier hb kicking to touch every 5 mins they struggle. Ricky will FLOG the poor bastards for next year.. and they will improve.

On us yes we won ugly, which as Bruce said is better than losing with style (such a warriorism!) so I'm fairly happy with that leading into finals.

Paasi was outstanding. A forward leader emerges. I'd love to see him and Bunty on the field together more, they create such momentum.

Tohu Harris is the real mvp in my eyes. He's so good it almost goes unnoticed, super consistent and has these beautiful little touches that make so much difference (Thanks Melbourne) and he's what, 25?? Ridiculous! Buy of the season for us, imo.

Hiku has to play centre. He anticipates soo damn well, whether its to hit a hole or deliver the pass. Defence can be improved but you just can't teach what he does (see Kata).

Special mention to the young brigade and by extension the coaching staff.
In particular Bunty, Jazz, and Ice. The work these boys have put in is evident, they now know what is required and have shown the guys behind them how to do it too. Big minute players doin lots of dirty work.. super impressed. Thier development is a fantastic sign for this club.

Great season so far. The boys will be amped for finals

Reactions: 3 users
Pozza

Pozza

Alexander going on about why Beale isn't there in place of Hiku. Then mentioned Beale as being the better attacking player. I laughed. You haven't watched us much have you Brandy?
30 secs later Hiku provides one of the passes of the year.
Then they start praising him, "This is what Hiku can do" ..........lol.
Great game by Hiku tonight. I'm glad we have persevered with him. His defense was alright too.

Tevaga gave me a headache. Good in short bursts. Not to leave on that long. Has to many mistakes in him.
Would like a prop rotation of Gavet/Paasi/Afoa/Satae next week. Pulu to start if Si is out. Papalii to the bench.

A bench of Afoa/Satae/Papalii/Lino instead of Tevaga. I thought Lino had a good game. Tough little bugger.(If Kakariki is back)
Good post echoed my thoughts as well. Slight off topic is English Justin Hodges first language

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Sup42

Sup42

Can't believe I'm still reading criticism of how much Shaun Johnson is paid. Personally, I wouldn't swap him for any other half in the comp.

As for Hiku, I can recall a time when I got a lot of shit on here for daring to suggest his defence was ordinary. However he has to be our right centre, his post contact metres and combination with Shaun Johnson, Tohu Harris and Fusitua pisses all over what Beale brings to the table even after allowing for his tackling deficiencies.

If I was Warriors management then I'd be shopping Beale around to free up cap space to resign Luke.
I recall clearly when you were the only dissenter regarding Hikus defence, how astute did that turn out to be ?!!! The guys a freaking nightmare on D...Maloney bad.

Interesting to read you' ve settled on him holding his spot.

As for Beale, I recon they need to shop him and Kata....bite the bullet...finally spend twice our cheap arse Center budget coin on someone who tackles and passes....a better Center than Hiku/Kata/Beale/Ayshford....a real guy....someone like Chambers, Gagai, Leilua, so not top tier but defo in the top ten.

Whare for example would be too expensive....and un obtainable...like Latrell....fat chance pipe dream.

Fark even if we have to pillage the ESL....just get a freaking solid Center minus the big flaws.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

IMG 0161
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12117331
League: Lucky New Zealand Warriors need better in NRL playoffs

I am not Michael Burgess;), but he sees it as I do. Also, and again, I am sure Ken Maumolo could have been penalised in the dying minutes for tackling a player in the air. Sure it was just a grab but it was a tackle and his feet were off the ground.

Well spotted, a minute to go. Linesman had a great view

Last edited:
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Watched the game in a pub with no sound and with a Dragons supporter and it’s funny how the game can be interpreted a little differently.
Felt we were a little lucky to get away with that and although the calls were technically correct we were pretty lucky to survive a couple of those Raiders non tries.
In saying that Canberra have shown to be tough opposition this year and it’s probably a blessing to have (and survive) a tough challenge leading into the finals.
Felt Ken and Fusitua were a little below their best tonight, Jazz had a shocker and is on too long. Rest of the team were ok without being outstanding, respected how Lino got pummeled but got back into the thick of it.
LOVE what Tohu Harris brings to the side, guy just oozes class.
Don’t think Shaun Johnson didn’t seem to play as badly as a lot of posters seem to think, my non-warriors mate I watched it with even commented that he didn’t understand the shit he gets- as another poster(sorry bro) mentioned his kicking % is higher than Cam Smith and I felt the grubbed playing for the repeat set at the death- although we fucked it up- was perfect game management.
Time to step it up and make a solid statement in the finals

Reactions: 6 users
Lance155

Lance155

Good win boys, so pumped for next week now. Oh and from reading this thread this morning Bruce is a Muppet...

• Haha
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Have to say Canberra’s tactic of kicking to the sidelines to negate our back three worked brilliantly- wonder why they moved away from it? Can see our finals opponents using it

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Really good to get an ugly, clunky game out of the way while also securing the two points. Would have been a good kick up the ass for the team to make sure they bring their best next week.

Few points:
- pray to God Mannering's okay and will be fit for next week, would hate for that to have been his last game for us
- forwards did well to aim up against a much bigger side (especially Paasi)
- each week when I select my warriors team I'm always so hesitant to put Maumalo into my side... today he reaffirmed that, doesn't seem to have anything in him besides hit-ups imo and that's something you shouldn't hear about first-grade players
- pleased that we managed to win having lost mannering and luke but thought we definitely missed their leadership too
- Roger's ball-playing is starting to look REALLY good and I'd be keen to see him move to 5/8 in a few years if we don't find any other options
- attacking set pieces looked like garbage and really need to be improved if we're gonna beat those better teams

My main beef from the game (and it's a big one) was Johnson's involvement. With Green out of the side Johnson HAS to become the dominant ball-player. As good as Mason can be he's nowhere near the level of player Johnson is and in order for us to be our best we need our best players with the ball more often than not. Really hope Kearney sees this and rectifies it cause if we go another game with Lino running the show we're gonna get bundled out before we even know it.

Ken would be in my team every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Without any hesitation whatsoever.

Saying that all Ken has is hit ups is like saying all Mannering has is tackling. Grossly unfair.

If you said something similar last year I may have somewhat agreed with you. His improvement has been phenomenal. He has got a good late step that has helped him break many tackles. His defensive reads are usually excellent. When he comes in for a spot tackle to shut down a dangerous situation he usually nails it. His hands are good. He’s taken care of a lot of tricky kicks.

As far as the hit ups go, our team would be a lot lot worse without his energy carrying us out of yardage on the tough carries. He’s one of the best in the NRL at it.

If Kata was more inclined to pass I very much doubt you’d see Ken as just a hit up merchant.

Reactions: 5 users
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Got home late from the game and watched the Storm/Panthers game on TV. Thanks Storm, you pricks. Unless both Dragons and the Broncos lose tomorrow we won't get a home semi. It looks like we might be eighth and get the Panthers in Sydney.

Some comments on the game. I reckon we were lucky to to have Fusitua not penalised for taking out a catcher in the air on one of their last plays. Did anybody comment on that?

I couldn't believe the Raiders trainer. He was on the field constantly lining up their defence. I thought that shit was banned long ago. I think at one stage they had two of the bastards on. Heyzuess spare me. Bloody disgusting.

The Raiders played well but we were behind in all the stats except kick metres and tackles. We really missed Blake Green. That is not a criticism of Mason Lino but Shaun Johnson is not the second coming of Heyzeuss (as some seem to think) and is not a total game manager. His goalkicking percentage and all round kicking game is not outstanding. He is always a danger on attack though because nobody knows what he is going to do. He has a lot of gaps in his game for such a well paid player. I hope this doesn't come back to bite the club in the arse as he slows down.

Hiku can be brilliant but infuriatingly error prone. His first try they were watching him to pass to Fusitua and he went through himself. So next time they ignore Fusitua, wrap up Hiku and he offloads brilliantly to Fusitua. Yet towards the end of the game, when we need to be steady and no errors and he allows a soft one on one strip. He is as typical a Warrior as you could get.

The atmosphere was electric and if anything I think the boys were trying too hard, especially on attack. In a way I think they can do better away without the pressure. Ken and Fusitua made some uncharacteristic errors. Ken might still be carrying an injury.

There were times the Raiders pack were absolutely stuffed and walking around like zombies. A decent game manager would have taken advantage of that, built pressure and then screwed them. Instead our attack was rushed and impatient and allowed them of the hook, which they gratefully accepted, with interest.

Also there was a time in the second half when we had about five players to two on the 20 with the goal line open and I think it was Jazz didn't make the pass. Again that showed lack of composure than Blake Green would have helped with.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, what can you say about the guy? He is the best captain we have ever had and never stops trying.

Oh, our forwards completely dominated the stats. It should have been a comfortable win. However the Raiders didn't give up and we didn't play our best. An ugly win really.

Just saying like.

There were two in Hikus tackle. Should have been a penalty. Soliola was still involved.

wrighty

Jazz makes so many errors. Would be tempting to run Lino at Lock-utility or whatever Jazz's position is called. At least with Lino we would have another legit play maker on the field which could overwhelm oppositions from a point scoring perspective.
Won't happen but an interesting suggestion.

Someone posted that Lino was too involved last night and that they had wanted Shaun Johnson to be more dominant. Nah disagree. We did that against the Storm where Lino was invisible and we were never in the game. The other team started rushing up on Shaun Johnson because they knew he would get the ball each time and closed him down,

Last night and last week Lino was heavily involved and did a fine job.

If I were another team I would target him as an acquisition - he really looked the part in the last two weeks. He is way better than people like Marshall-King and many others. We are lucky to have him as a back up.

Reactions: 6 users
Sup42

Sup42

Have to say Canberra’s tactic of kicking to the sidelines to negate our back three worked brilliantly- wonder why they moved away from it? Can see our finals opponents using it
Bennet used to do that....it backfired when he was at the knights though....it was such a negative way to take Manu and Kevin Locke out of the game.

Bennet also deliberately kicked to Manu, but he was Broncos coach and so Sam Thaiday plus two others would put in a terrific. Kick chase and gang tackle him and Manu would offload into a forced error.

Yep it will be interesting to see if they try it on with us.

The negative is that it gives the Warriors time to rest and reset...which is not a good thing if you are looking to tire the Warriors.

Pretty much agree though....it was brilliant from Stickies men...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Milford certainly hasn't for sure, nor Ben Hunt or JT, funny that, and they are on good money. You mention Cameron Smith. They got beaten tonight but he is the ultimate game manager. That is what we missed tonight. That was a bloody ugly win against a side we were clearly better than except in kick metres and gola kicking. Just saying like because it cannot be denied.

Smith was horrendous last night. His passes wouldn’t have hit the barn doors at times. Melbourne were appalling.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Tbf there were 3 players in that tackle- that was the worst call of the night and could've cost us the game.

The Leilua one where he slid into touch but we got penalised was bad. They got a penalty next set which put them into the game more. And the non sin bin on Oldknob when Shaun Johnson would I think most likely scored given the broken field situation that he loves. The Hiku one was horrific as well.

Reactions: 1 user

wrighty

Well I hope we get anyone but Panthers next week. They look a whole different kettle of fish with Maloney.

My only memory of Warriors playoffs was our standoff Michael Witt - running in a try into the corner but he didn't touch it down. He started celebrating instead,

"Put the ball down Son!"

FAN

FAN

HEART ATTACK STUFF!!

Felt the rub of the green went our way a few times towards the end there, we almost blew it a few time's.
Boy's did very well to hang in and come away with the win from a GREEN MACHINE storming home.
Next week is going to be bloody stressful if last night is anything to go by. Can't wait!! !

FAN

FAN

Well I hope we get anyone but Panthers next week. They look a whole different kettle of fish with Maloney.

My only memory of Warriors playoffs was our standoff Michael Witt - running in a try into the corner but he didn't touch it down. He started celebrating instead,

"Put the ball down Son!"

NO NO NO NO NO! !!
LOL one of the best moments in WARRIORS footy IMO

• Haha
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

Jazz makes so many errors. Would be tempting to run Lino at Lock-utility or whatever Jazz's position is called. At least with Lino we would have another legit play maker on the field which could overwhelm oppositions from a point scoring perspective.
Won't happen but an interesting suggestion.

Someone posted that Lino was too involved last night and that they had wanted Shaun Johnson to be more dominant. Nah disagree. We did that against the Storm where Lino was invisible and we were never in the game. The other team started rushing up on Shaun Johnson because they knew he would get the ball each time and closed him down,

Last night and last week Lino was heavily involved and did a fine job.

If I were another team I would target him as an acquisition - he really looked the part in the last two weeks. He is way better than people like Marshall-King and many others. We are lucky to have him as a back up.

I've been thinking something similar about Lino, he also has a good medium/short kicking game and is nuggety out of dummy half. It would be the consistent toughness in defence week after week that he would have to build, but I think he does okay.

Lino would let us prolong Luke's career: he's going to get too battered playing 80 minutes like he does, but with the current interchanges there is really no reason why he has to...

Fearmuss

Fearmuss

Got home late from the game and watched the Storm/Panthers game on TV. Thanks Storm, you pricks. Unless both Dragons and the Broncos lose tomorrow we won't get a home semi. It looks like we might be eighth and get the Panthers in Sydney.

Some comments on the game. I reckon we were lucky to to have Fusitua not penalised for taking out a catcher in the air on one of their last plays. Did anybody comment on that?

I couldn't believe the Raiders trainer. He was on the field constantly lining up their defence. I thought that shit was banned long ago. I think at one stage they had two of the bastards on. Heyzuess spare me. Bloody disgusting.

The Raiders played well but we were behind in all the stats except kick metres and tackles. We really missed Blake Green. That is not a criticism of Mason Lino but Shaun Johnson is not the second coming of Heyzeuss (as some seem to think) and is not a total game manager. His goalkicking percentage and all round kicking game is not outstanding. He is always a danger on attack though because nobody knows what he is going to do. He has a lot of gaps in his game for such a well paid player. I hope this doesn't come back to bite the club in the arse as he slows down.

Hiku can be brilliant but infuriatingly error prone. His first try they were watching him to pass to Fusitua and he went through himself. So next time they ignore Fusitua, wrap up Hiku and he offloads brilliantly to Fusitua. Yet towards the end of the game, when we need to be steady and no errors and he allows a soft one on one strip. He is as typical a Warrior as you could get.

The atmosphere was electric and if anything I think the boys were trying too hard, especially on attack. In a way I think they can do better away without the pressure. Ken and Fusitua made some uncharacteristic errors. Ken might still be carrying an injury.

There were times the Raiders pack were absolutely stuffed and walking around like zombies. A decent game manager would have taken advantage of that, built pressure and then screwed them. Instead our attack was rushed and impatient and allowed them of the hook, which they gratefully accepted, with interest.

Also there was a time in the second half when we had about five players to two on the 20 with the goal line open and I think it was Jazz didn't make the pass. Again that showed lack of composure than Blake Green would have helped with.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, what can you say about the guy? He is the best captain we have ever had and never stops trying.

Oh, our forwards completely dominated the stats. It should have been a comfortable win. However the Raiders didn't give up and we didn't play our best. An ugly win really.

Just saying like.

This is pretty close to my read on it. I thought for the senior half Shaun Johnson was poor in the first forty and got better in the second. For his pay and position he lacks the instincts for game management. My test of when Shaun Johnson doesn't know what to do is that he does the crabs across field at a trot and then shovels off to a backrower: I suppose it is the downside of a 'instinctive' player.

It was a frustrating game to watch because we were carving them up on the edges, but then choked those edges of ball: for the momentum we had we played with barely any width (even though it was damp). Both Shaun Johnson and Lino were guilty of playing too laterally, not straightening, and choking their edge's space, it would have been good to see more earlier width.

Reactions: 1 users