• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.
wallacenz

wallacenz

I apologise in advance if I post this in the wrong thread but I just had a look at a few stats from over the years as I’ve got bugger all to do today and discovered something of interest

Of the 7 times we’ve finished in the 8 over the years our position after 12 rounds of the regular season during those years looks like this;

*1st position is where we were after 12 rounds*

**Position after regular rounds in brackets**

2001: 8th - 11 points (8th)

2002: 4th - 20 points (1st)

2003: 7th - 12 points (6th)

2007: 13th - 8 points (4th)

2008: 13th - 10 points (8th)

2010: 11th - 10 points (5th)

2011: 6th - 16 points (6th)

??2018: Currently 4th **potentially 5th results pending** - 16 points

Its interesting to note that only twice in our history have we had 16 points or more after 12 rounds. Take a close look at what seasons they were in, the two years we made the GF.

Let’s hope history manages to repeat itself in this scenario
7 times in 22 years.. sad

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
surfin

surfin

Fear not, this is a cunning plan to make sure no Warriors are picked for Denver. Who said Kearney was a numpty?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Sorry to be a Debby downer but it’s 23 seasons. Just to make it that little worse

Yeah hang on to both of your tits Debby because this shit is about to get worse.

We've been in competition 23 years making it 24 seasons. 7 times in 24 seasons.

That's once every three and half years. God, I am so depressed. NZ Warriors ...

:(

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
WarriorFaither

WarriorFaither

Yeah hang on to both of your tits Debby because this shit is about to get worse.

We've been in competition 23 years making it 24 seasons. 7 times in 24 seasons.

That's once every three and half years. God, I am so depressed. NZ Warriors ...

:(
Hahahahaha on the plus side, there’s the distinct possibility that we make it 8 from 24. As they old Warriors supporters saying goes, “we’re still mathematically a chance” haha

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Boy oh boy do NZ fans of other teams love rubbing a Warriors loss in at Mt Smart. The last two home games have been chronic for this in the West Stand.

It's fair game. I'm not that gracious a winning fan either

snake77

snake77

Round 1 we caught Souths by surprise. As we did the sides following with us showing an improved attitude, better fitness, a bit better organised.

The comments coming out of the Souths game in round 1 was them being surprised at how we dominated the tackle. They didn't let that repeat last night.

Things have slowly started to unravel a bit. A combination of things like the other sides getting their act together, scouting us and now being better prepared. We also look like we have hit a wall. The weeks around the bye are going to be crucial to get some rest and plan for the rest of the season. A trip to Denver for some of the squad is going to be another things to plan around.

Without Johnson we need our defense to be working. As soon as Souths got to 16 points you could see the game was out of reach as it didn't look like we had 16-20 points in us.

The other thing we were doing earlier in the year was getting some tries off planned moves etc. Thing the Roosters game earlier in the year. The side looked like it had some plans to break the defense. Last night Green was doing a lot of organising but it looked more like a bunch of individuals compared to earlier in the season.

Reactions: 6 users
WarriorFaither

WarriorFaither

Round 1 we caught Souths by surprise. As we did the sides following with us showing an improved attitude, better fitness, a bit better organised.

The comments coming out of the Souths game in round 1 was them being surprised at how we dominated the tackle. They didn't let that repeat last night.

Things have slowly started to unravel a bit. A combination of things like the other sides getting their act together, scouting us and now being better prepared. We also look like we have hit a wall. The weeks around the bye are going to be crucial to get some rest and plan for the rest of the season. A trip to Denver for some of the squad is going to be another things to plan around.

Without Johnson we need our defense to be working. As soon as Souths got to 16 points you could see the game was out of reach as it didn't look like we had 16-20 points in us.

The other thing we were doing earlier in the year was getting some tries off planned moves etc. Thing the Roosters game earlier in the year. The side looked like it had some plans to break the defense. Last night Green was doing a lot of organising but it looked more like a bunch of individuals compared to earlier in the season.
The extra pressure on Green in the scenario we were faced with is why i can’t get my head around the decision to play Hiku in the halves. At best that selection is purely to plug a hole, or act as a band aid solution if you will.

I’m no first grade coach but surely if you’ve got someone like Lawnton who looks bloody sharp when he gets on the field, has a nice clean crisp pass and looks to be in the good habit of engaging the defence and in turn creating a bit of space on the outside, then you play him in the halves? He’s a genuine ball player in comparison to Hiku and would have a much better understanding of being in that role having spent time in the halves over the years.

Granted Lawnton to the halves wouldn’t have changed the result but it would have gone a long way to helping us create more opportunities, if nothing else at least giving the team a half decent second option instead of Green being lumped with all the work.

I truly like what I’ve seen from Lawnton so far. Sure, it’s early days still for him but he just seems to have that energy and spring in his step that can become dangerous to a defensive line as well as being contagious to those in his own team

Reactions: 4 users

wrighty

Here are the positives from the game - as I struggle to find any silver linings.

1) No material injuries. Kearney says Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will come right quickly despite limping off the field.
2) We went ok in the second half.
3) Mannering worked on his hit up technique this week and made good post contact metres. Now he needs to recover his arm and chest strength in defence.
4) Lawton looked really good.
5) Afoa added go forward off the bench. His best game in a while. Let him keep coming from the bench.
6) Satae was ok and shed blood for his team (he had a split lip)
7) Luke did his one restart kick out on the full per season and got it out of his system.
8) Our handling was average and not terrible
9) Completion rate above 80%
10) I thought we made a good effort not to infringe in the ruck area (ref may disagree with this)

Reactions: 3 users
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

I apologise in advance if I post this in the wrong thread but I just had a look at a few stats from over the years as I’ve got bugger all to do today and discovered something of interest

Of the 7 times we’ve finished in the 8 over the years our position after 12 rounds of the regular season during those years looks like this;

*1st position is where we were after 12 rounds*

**Position after regular rounds in brackets**

2001: 8th - 11 points (8th)

2002: 4th - 20 points (1st)

2003: 7th - 12 points (6th)

2007: 13th - 8 points (4th)

2008: 13th - 10 points (8th)

2010: 11th - 10 points (5th)

2011: 6th - 16 points (6th)

??2018: Currently 4th **potentially 5th results pending** - 16 points

Its interesting to note that only twice in our history have we had 16 points or more after 12 rounds. Take a close look at what seasons they were in, the two years we made the GF.

Let’s hope history manages to repeat itself in this scenario
2011 we went in a horrible slide. Ivan had to dump several players and bring up debutants to fix the team at round 15. Seymour got dropped fr Shaun Johnson, Lance was ditched fr Locke at FB, and a few others. My memory may not be the best, but i think round 16 had about 7 changes to the team. We dont have any1 capable of sorting us if we go there again

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Cant we bring Steve Price back to teach our forwards? The guy averages 200m a game n even hit 300m in 1 game in his last year. Why cant our forwards even stand in a tackle? He wasnt big. Simon could learn to play his role.

Sledge

Sledge

Chris Rattue: Warriors 2018 castle built on sand
27 May, 2018 1:11pm
4 minutes to read
Z4KAFSWQCRF3VFSEH3ECWDF6ZE.jpg

Chris Satae after missing a chance to score a try. Photo / Photosport.co.nz
bd417927-2957-4e02-8f22-f9d4962cfc6b.png

By: Chris Rattue
Sports writer
chris.rattue@nzherald.co.nz

Kearney at a loss to explain Warriors lack of aggression

The Storm and Roosters had already sign-posted what was in store. Those clinging to their seats weren't clinging to hope. They knew by halftime the game was up, at 6 - 22, after the Burgess family of South Sydney had plundered.

ADVERTISEMENT
Advertise with NZME.

The Rabbitohs didn't need to do much in the second spell. Like Anthony Joshua on Joseph Parker, no knockout blows were required. A dull stalemate ensued, an entertaining prospect lost.

When the Warriors are good, they can be very, very good. When they are bad, they are pathetically horrid.

Some pundits predicted the Warriors would collect the NRL's wooden spoon this year. Bizarrely, they are actually a top four side which plays like a wooden spoon team without a hope in hell of winning the title.

They are so awful at times that their NRL position is a miracle, like turning up to a press conference and finding Wayne Bennett doing comedy.

The more this season goes on, the more the good stuff of 2018 feels like a freaky, hard-to-explain storm, and one which would not be repeatable.

About the only solace for the damp Warriors fans on Saturday night was that Dragons forward Leeson Ah Mau has agreed a three-year deal with the club, although it is not officially confirmed. The really bad news is he only arrives next year.
Given the carnage that Sam Burgess and co. wreaked, and remembering the Storm/Roosters disasters, Ah Mau alone won't be enough to take this club anywhere.

The Warriors should still make the top eight but this is a castle built on sand and coach Steve Kearney will have to be ruthless in taking the club ahead by cutting the dead wood.

For my money, the problems start in the middle of the field, which exacerbates other issues such as Solomone Kata's limited football ability in the centres, Peta Hiku's defence, and erratic contributions from the all-important big wings.

The downside of Adam Blair's signing is also starting to be exposed, especially if his wages stopped the club from recruiting a top class prop — or middle forward as they are now called — capable of confronting the best players in the NRL.

EVILYPJEGFC4XERMUYXIVSYKEQ.jpg

Souths celebrate the try of Greg Inglis. Photo / Photosport.co.nz

With a weak set of props, the ageing No. 13 Blair — signed for three years and a terrific contributor in some ways — becomes a liability.

In the hour of need on Saturday night, Kiwis captain Blair went missing in time (he played a mere 47 minutes) and impact. His lost possession — or was it a tricky attempt to milk a stripping penalty gone badly wrong — was also a pivotal early moment when the Warriors were in charge..

Forget the numbers and look at the confrontations. It makes for bad viewing.

And Blair wasn't alone as a battling veteran: Simon Mannering is slipping off tackles and towards probable retirement.

On a good night, the Warriors can move up the field if their wings are in the mood and hooker Issac Luke is firing. Huge momentum is provided by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from fullback, but unfortunately he is the only middle player always on his game.

The rest are a bit of a lottery.

Defensively, the Warriors' middle forwards get chewed up and spat out. It has happened three times already this year. South Sydney are a terrific side, but they were given the freedom of Mt Smart Stadium.

Take out Jazz Tevaga's spirit and inventiveness, and Tuviasa-Sheck's standard-issue class, and there wasn't much left.

The Warriors might be the first top four side to have a negative points differential, which says a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Fazz

Fazz

Kearney lost us that game with the absolutely moronic team he named.

Hiku is a liability on defence and has zero kicking game. He also lacks a great passing game - it's OKAY at centre, nothing more. He relies on little flicks and things like that, not the kind of finessed long passing you need from a half. I realise he was something of a last resort, but considering how little he brought to the position, we would have been better off naming Lawton there. Worst case scenario, at least Lawton can tackle + act as an extra hooker. Which brings me to my next point ...

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT BENCH?

No, seriously. You name a hooker and whatever the fuck Jazz is + 2 forwards against one of the most dominant packs in the comp? Not only that, but you do it in a wet game? Kearney, give yourself a neck breaking spear tackle like the one you gave McCracken, you utter gimp. I was very on board with the Brocess earlier in the season, but at this point you're being shown up as a very smart recruiter and talented pre-season curator, but an absolute gimp of a coach.

Also ... as much as it pains me, last night showed why Mannering has been a benchie. He fell off tackles that led to two tries in the first half. I tried to block out as much of the second half as possible (via playing UFC on my television, the game on my laptop) so there may have been more. I still love and respect Mannering, but I think it's time. The body is failing him and I'm not saying Papa would have won us the game, but he would have had some form on impact running and in 2018, his defence is more solid.

I'm not calling season over, but we desperately need to do some soul searching over the bye. More than that, we really need some luck with injuries. Over the last two months we've been missing Johnson, Luke and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at various times. Whether it's a mental effect or whatever, the team just doesn't cope without them. Kearney also needs to wake the fuck up and stop this Jazz experiment. We cannot keep carrying a forward that gets driven back every run. We cannot keep carrying a utility that can't effectively play ANY position because he's got 'heart and energy'.

I hate to blame the coach when the gimps on field are playing so poorly, but he is setting them up for failure with some of his ego/emotional selections. I really, really hope we see a side like this after the bye, but I fully expect to see Jazz and Hiku in there. Probably with Jazz AND Beale on the bench.

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Fusitua
3. Beale
4. Kata (Two games, after that *shudders* it's Hiku's 2nd chance)
5. Maumalo
6. Green
7. Johnson
8. Paasi
9. Luke
10. Bunty
11. Papa
12. Harris
13. Blair

14. Lawton (A utility that can actually be of use; hooker, centre, lock)
15. Sao
16. Gavet
17. Mannering (The only emotional selection I'm prepared to make. Form-wise, he shouldn't be here, but he deserves 300)

19. Hiku
20. ????
21. ????
22. ????

Literally if he's the last man on Earth. Jazz

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Chris Rattue: Warriors 2018 castle built on sand
27 May, 2018 1:11pm
4 minutes to read
Z4KAFSWQCRF3VFSEH3ECWDF6ZE.jpg

Chris Satae after missing a chance to score a try. Photo / Photosport.co.nz
bd417927-2957-4e02-8f22-f9d4962cfc6b.png

By: Chris Rattue
Sports writer
chris.rattue@nzherald.co.nz

Kearney at a loss to explain Warriors lack of aggression

The Storm and Roosters had already sign-posted what was in store. Those clinging to their seats weren't clinging to hope. They knew by halftime the game was up, at 6 - 22, after the Burgess family of South Sydney had plundered.

ADVERTISEMENT
Advertise with NZME.

The Rabbitohs didn't need to do much in the second spell. Like Anthony Joshua on Joseph Parker, no knockout blows were required. A dull stalemate ensued, an entertaining prospect lost.

When the Warriors are good, they can be very, very good. When they are bad, they are pathetically horrid.

Some pundits predicted the Warriors would collect the NRL's wooden spoon this year. Bizarrely, they are actually a top four side which plays like a wooden spoon team without a hope in hell of winning the title.

They are so awful at times that their NRL position is a miracle, like turning up to a press conference and finding Wayne Bennett doing comedy.

The more this season goes on, the more the good stuff of 2018 feels like a freaky, hard-to-explain storm, and one which would not be repeatable.

About the only solace for the damp Warriors fans on Saturday night was that Dragons forward Leeson Ah Mau has agreed a three-year deal with the club, although it is not officially confirmed. The really bad news is he only arrives next year.
Given the carnage that Sam Burgess and co. wreaked, and remembering the Storm/Roosters disasters, Ah Mau alone won't be enough to take this club anywhere.

The Warriors should still make the top eight but this is a castle built on sand and coach Steve Kearney will have to be ruthless in taking the club ahead by cutting the dead wood.

For my money, the problems start in the middle of the field, which exacerbates other issues such as Solomone Kata's limited football ability in the centres, Peta Hiku's defence, and erratic contributions from the all-important big wings.

The downside of Adam Blair's signing is also starting to be exposed, especially if his wages stopped the club from recruiting a top class prop — or middle forward as they are now called — capable of confronting the best players in the NRL.

EVILYPJEGFC4XERMUYXIVSYKEQ.jpg

Souths celebrate the try of Greg Inglis. Photo / Photosport.co.nz

With a weak set of props, the ageing No. 13 Blair — signed for three years and a terrific contributor in some ways — becomes a liability.

In the hour of need on Saturday night, Kiwis captain Blair went missing in time (he played a mere 47 minutes) and impact. His lost possession — or was it a tricky attempt to milk a stripping penalty gone badly wrong — was also a pivotal early moment when the Warriors were in charge..

Forget the numbers and look at the confrontations. It makes for bad viewing.

And Blair wasn't alone as a battling veteran: Simon Mannering is slipping off tackles and towards probable retirement.

On a good night, the Warriors can move up the field if their wings are in the mood and hooker Issac Luke is firing. Huge momentum is provided by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from fullback, but unfortunately he is the only middle player always on his game.

The rest are a bit of a lottery.

Defensively, the Warriors' middle forwards get chewed up and spat out. It has happened three times already this year. South Sydney are a terrific side, but they were given the freedom of Mt Smart Stadium.

Take out Jazz Tevaga's spirit and inventiveness, and Tuviasa-Sheck's standard-issue class, and there wasn't much left.

The Warriors might be the first top four side to have a negative points differential, which says a lot.
Rattue has been reading our posts again, plus adding in some bullshit of his own. I am surprised he didn't say that Richard Fale would have done better.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
snake77

snake77

The extra pressure on Green in the scenario we were faced with is why i can’t get my head around the decision to play Hiku in the halves. At best that selection is purely to plug a hole, or act as a band aid solution if you will.

I’m no first grade coach but surely if you’ve got someone like Lawnton who looks bloody sharp when he gets on the field, has a nice clean crisp pass and looks to be in the good habit of engaging the defence and in turn creating a bit of space on the outside, then you play him in the halves? He’s a genuine ball player in comparison to Hiku and would have a much better understanding of being in that role having spent time in the halves over the years.

Granted Lawnton to the halves wouldn’t have changed the result but it would have gone a long way to helping us create more opportunities, if nothing else at least giving the team a half decent second option instead of Green being lumped with all the work.

I truly like what I’ve seen from Lawnton so far. Sure, it’s early days still for him but he just seems to have that energy and spring in his step that can become dangerous to a defensive line as well as being contagious to those in his own team
The question of why Lawton didn't replace Lino is a relevant one though as when he was signed to replace Hingano (a half) it was to keep our depth in the halves. I suspect Kearney got caught up with his comments on Hiku last week after he covered fullback that he was a natural footballer and could play in bare feet and could cover a number of positions.

He probably can play a lot of positions but last night it didn't work so well.

Not all of our problems were due to the halves. The middle losing the tackle was the main issue.

wrighty

Kearney lost us that game with the absolutely moronic team he named.

Hiku is a liability on defence and has zero kicking game. He also lacks a great passing game - it's OKAY at centre, nothing more. He relies on little flicks and things like that, not the kind of finessed long passing you need from a half. I realise he was something of a last resort, but considering how little he brought to the position, we would have been better off naming Lawton there. Worst case scenario, at least Lawton can tackle + act as an extra hooker. Which brings me to my next point ...

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT BENCH?

No, seriously. You name a hooker and whatever the fuck Jazz is + 2 forwards against one of the most dominant packs in the comp? Not only that, but you do it in a wet game? Kearney, give yourself a neck breaking spear tackle like the one you gave McCracken, you utter gimp. I was very on board with the Brocess earlier in the season, but at this point you're being shown up as a very smart recruiter and talented pre-season curator, but an absolute gimp of a coach.

Also ... as much as it pains me, last night showed why Mannering has been a benchie. He fell off tackles that led to two tries in the first half. I tried to block out as much of the second half as possible (via playing UFC on my television, the game on my laptop) so there may have been more. I still love and respect Mannering, but I think it's time. The body is failing him and I'm not saying Papa would have won us the game, but he would have had some form on impact running and in 2018, his defence is more solid.

I'm not calling season over, but we desperately need to do some soul searching over the bye. More than that, we really need some luck with injuries. Over the last two months we've been missing Johnson, Luke and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at various times. Whether it's a mental effect or whatever, the team just doesn't cope without them. Kearney also needs to wake the fuck up and stop this Jazz experiment. We cannot keep carrying a forward that gets driven back every run. We cannot keep carrying a utility that can't effectively play ANY position because he's got 'heart and energy'.

I hate to blame the coach when the gimps on field are playing so poorly, but he is setting them up for failure with some of his ego/emotional selections. I really, really hope we see a side like this after the bye, but I fully expect to see Jazz and Hiku in there. Probably with Jazz AND Beale on the bench.

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Fusitua
3. Beale
4. Kata (Two games, after that *shudders* it's Hiku's 2nd chance)
5. Maumalo
6. Green
7. Johnson
8. Paasi
9. Luke
10. Bunty
11. Papa
12. Harris
13. Blair

14. Lawton (A utility that can actually be of use; hooker, centre, lock)
15. Sao
16. Gavet
17. Mannering (The only emotional selection I'm prepared to make. Form-wise, he shouldn't be here, but he deserves 300)

19. Hiku
20. ????
21. ????
22. ????

Literally if he's the last man on Earth. Jazz

You forgot Afoa.

Good team. My personal major reason for retaining Kata (although you could pick Gelling instead) is that he only has one sin, he doesn't pass. I think he is a half decent defender and will even say an NRL standard defender. He is just as good as Ayshford on defence and offers a plus of doing hit ups which Blake can't.

Hiku, on the other hand has multiple sins. He both doesn't pass and can't defend. When Hiku does pass he does a one handed flick with his right hand. Sometimes this looks cool, yet on two other occassions this season it led to him mishandling/losing the ball forward and last night his one handed flick went two metres behind the winger and was wobbly. Fusitua had to turn around and run back to get the ball. Hiku passing skills are not even ISP standard let alone NRL standard.

On to Kearney, I am a human being, and as such there is only so much stress I can tolerate, therefore I am not emotionally investing myself in who he randomly selects on the bench. I am resigned, and you should potentially resign yourself as well to Jazz being our 14 and playing big minutes for the rest of the season. For what is worth he was more effective on offence than some of our other forwards and nearly set up a try. That said I personally think he is a waste of a bench spot.
Kata and Hiku will be picked for the rest of the season I predict unless we lose say three in a row. If Beale was going to come in he should have been on the tuesday sheet last week as he has a number of games under his belt now.
Kearney is a fantastic recruiter and has a keen eye for talent. He is also an average NRL standard coach. If his team has the better players then he wins, he doesn't know how to coach an upset though. He is miles better than that fool Kidwell though. So yeah be thankful for small mercies.

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

I see Burgess got a slap with a wet bus ticket for the trip on Kata even though he was a recidivist.

And nothing about the eye work

Reactions: 2 users