General NRL 2018 FINALS Week 3 - General Discussion

Who you backing?

• Storm

• Rabbitohs

• Roosters

• Sharks

• FUCK EM ALL!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep I agree. But they need to change the interpretation from a side on barge off the ball which is very different to a front on shoulder charge. Every time players are jostling shoulder to shoulder and one goes down, is that a shoulder chagre? They have shown PLENTY of examples of the same side on barge off the ball this year that didnt get put on report so he has plenty of ammo to take it to court should it be upheld. That one on Fusitua was mean as but I dont have a problem with it. Especally if players are using there body as a jostle.

Its the front on no arms hitting the trapezius that is the issue and why it was bought in, because people would do a Napa and go to high with it without using a tackle motion (which either was is a head high). you can still put on the same hit as before if you time it right.

but jostling sideline balls, side on shoulder using the deltoid to me is just part and passel of defending the edge,

Shoulder charge got banned after a couple of collisions with the runners head....followed by some horrible knockouts.

Inevitable outcome. The runner goes low into contact to protect the ball, the tackler ' drops the shoulder' to ensure the deltoid hits and not just the side of the arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce
Well its the Primadonna's v paperbag rorters GF ..... just goes to show how valueable having wk 2 off is .... don't really care who wins this.... but if the warriors want to win this in future ... going for the minor prems, should be the regular season aim nothing less. We do have the team to do it ... but sadly lack the on field intellect IMO ... hoping Corvos 2nd year with these boys may deliver...

Reactions: bruce and Citygirl

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
In defence of Billy (yes I know it was a blatant shoulder charge) there’s not much else you can do to stop a try.
Union had a problem with something similar earlier in the year where refs were going strict on ‘any head contact=yellow card” where players would dive low head knowing only way to stop them would be a higher tackle- common sense prevailed after a few incidents

Reactions: bruce
There are some likeable things about Souths but I don't like the Burgess trio.

It's just biased fan hate like that Souffs fan booing Taukeiaho taking his 1st kick.

Don't like Chricton either. Same reason.

But Cook. He's likeable.
Gagai. Likeable.

Reynolds. Had his grand final last week.

And I actually was going for Souffs at the start.

WarriorBall

The shoulder charge rule is brief in its length and simple in its definition; a defender must use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle. It says nothing about the context of the situation or what part of the field the incident occurred or of course any of the other sentimental nonsense thrown up by Channel Nine commentators.

As others have mentioned if he beats the charge it can only be because Billy is Billy Slater and the NRL march to the beat of public opinion as we’ve witnessed all season long with the refereeing changes.

In the area of governance and professionalism Rugby has it over League in spades.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
There are some likeable things about Souths but I don't like the Burgess trio.

It's just biased fan hate like that Souffs fan booing Taukeiaho taking his 1st kick.

Don't like Chricton either. Same reason.

But Cook. He's likeable.
Gagai. Likeable.

Reynolds. Had his grand final last week.

And I actually was going for Souffs at the start.

Souths fans(along with Sharks) are the worst humans on the planet- makes their teams so difficult not to despise

Reactions: Run_it_str8

Stalefish540

Contributor

Is Billy's tackle any worse than the Waqa Blake tackle on Fusitua from round 17?
Watch from 3:35mins.

We/Warriors didn't even get a penalty for this tackle;

I thought this would be a good example, but then was reminded that I think you can only use previous examples of people that have been charged. This was never charged, so therefore can't be used.

Reactions: eudebrito

Is Billy's tackle any worse than the Waqa Blake tackle on Fusitua from round 17?
Watch from 3:35mins.

We/Warriors didn't even get a penalty for this tackle;

No difference really apart from 1 was penalized (as by the letter of the law it should be) and one wasnt.

Disgraceful call really there was no penalty (i seem to remember Shaun Johnson being the only one blowing up about it to the ref at the time), however one ref's incompetence shouldnt excuse any similar illegal tackles.

From memory Joseph Tapine got charged and stood down a match for a similar sideline shoulder charge on Matthew Dufty so who the f knows how they rule on them.....there's no real consistency.

Reactions: Sup42
Nice spotting. Looks the same to me. Send that to nick politis for 1x brown bag of cash
Thats already been played on Fox, along with a number of others. Doesnt have to be charged to be used as evidence for precedence. Unless you a lawyer, I only did 1 paper ;-p. Really depends if they run judiciary like a legal system or not. But I think you are right, its not, its guilty until proven innocent. But Im sure even then they could troll through a number of similar ones and find one that was charged and let off. What Billy said at end of game was spot on. When collisions occur player brace themselves. If he had dropped his head their to tackle we might not have a living Slater.

God that was boring last night.

But a big pay day for me, predicting Storm vs Roosters before start of season. Ill have to go work out how much.

I think next week depends on Roosters injuries and Slaters fate. At this stage Im going with roosters, well i dont have a choice.

No difference really apart from 1 was penalized (as by the letter of the law it should be) and one wasnt.

Disgraceful call really there was no penalty (i seem to remember Shaun Johnson being the only one blowing up about it to the ref at the time), however one ref's incompetence shouldnt excuse any similar illegal tackles.

From memory Joseph Tapine got charged and stood down a match for a similar sideline shoulder charge on Matthew Dufty so who the f knows how they rule on them.....there's no real consistency.
Whichever way they go, it is precedent setting for next season. If not found guilty, the tackle style will be come common next season. And no way of stopping clubs citing this as legit defence.

Referring to Rona Peters? After over 10 years playing for NZ she has now made herself available to play for QLD and Jillaroos.
How does she qualify? I hope the SOO eligibility rules are the same as the mens are currently. Would hate to see a flood of backflips happen in the women's game to play for a State you have no ties to, other than starting your professional league career in.

AEAB357F-AEA2-41BC-BAAB-4924357548A6.jpeg