General NRL 2018 FINALS Week 3 - General Discussion

Who you backing?

• Storm

• Rabbitohs

• Roosters

• Sharks

• FUCK EM ALL!

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Warriors arn't playing in the GF, so I sure don't want Billy to not be there. He is absolutely unreal to watch, it's hard to imagine hes 35.

I think it's all a show from the MRC to look like they're doing the right thing, meanwhile the MRC commitee is sifting through tape to give to Melb for them to help him get off.
I agree, I hate the Storm but Billy Slater is a future immortal, let him play I say.

After the game I was flicking between the fox and nine coverage and it was very interesting.
The general feeling I got watching fox was that slater would probably be suspended.
Meanwhile on nine they interviewed him and the moment they asked about the shoulder charge his wife and daughter run in and hug and kiss him and the wife starts going on about how great he is and how amazing it is that his last game will be in the grand final and how much they're looking forward to it blah blah blah- it looked like a total set up designed to get the public on his side.
Does he work for nine?
I just can't see him being suspended after that interview.
Personally I do think it would be a shame if he was ruled out but if they're being fair dinkum he has to go- if it was any other player or any other game they'd be out for sure plus there would be sweet irony if after all these years of getting away with all his grubery (don't know if that's a word but it is now) it finally catches up with him for his very last and probably most important game.
Btw he's still way to good to be retiring.

Haha exactly what I thought when they bought the family out right on cue.....(I was just waiting for the orphans and homeless people Billy's helped to be rolled out ;))

It would be a shame if he (or anyone that's been around that long) gets ruled out of their last game like that, i'd like to see him play......and he probably will.

What's going to amuse me more this week tho is how the NRL are going to have to pull some technicalities out of their arse to get him off what was dead set a shoulder charge lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce and Defence

WarriorBall

I may be all alone here but nobody should be bigger than the game, on that tackle he left the match review committee with no choice but to charge him.

Bradman was out for a duck in his last innings and now famously averages 99, we don’t always get the fairytale ending and Slater ruled out of his last ever game (a grand final) I’m sure will only add to his legacy.

If the NRL don’t show some leadership and cave in on this it’s just more proof (like we needed more) that they haven’t quite grown up yet and can’t be considered a fully professional organisation like the other codes they compete against.

That and I want to see Jahrome Hughes play ....

Stalefish540

Contributor
I may be all alone here but nobody should be bigger than the game, on that tackle he left the match review committee with no choice but to charge him.

Bradman was out for a duck in his last innings and now famously averages 99, we don’t always get the fairytale ending and Slater ruled out of his last ever game (a grand final) I’m sure will only add to his legacy.

If the NRL don’t show some leadership and cave in on this it’s just more proof (like we needed more) that they haven’t quite grown up yet and can’t be considered a fully professional organisation like the other codes they compete against.

That and I want to see Jahrome Hughes play ....
I'd like to see Hughes get the Kiwis 6 job, think he offers more than Nikorima and Martin.

you want the best players to play in the GF so why not punish him during the game and chuck him in the bin for 10

putting people on report doesnt help the team he has offended against, only helps the team he is playing the following week

if he was in the bin last night for 10, this thread wouldnt exist regarding the Grand Final.

WarriorBall

I'd like to see Hughes get the Kiwis 6 job, think he offers more than Nikorima and Martin.

He’s going to be a good little player, it’s not his natural position from what I understand but has done well with the opportunities he’s had and is already a better defender than the other two you mentioned.

Stalefish540

Contributor
He’s going to be a good little player, it’s not his natural position from what I understand but has done well with the opportunities he’s had and is already a better defender than the other two you mentioned.
Yea thats how I see it, all 3 of them can't really kick. But he has the best defence and the most ticker out of the 3, so why not. Liked what i've see from him this year, but that was on the right edge where Shaun Johnson will be parked.

Interesting twist in the WNRL.

The winless Roosters have carved up the Dragons for a place in the GF.

The difference ?

They changed their playmaker for a girl called Zahara Tamara who Thurstoned it LOL.

Gotra wonder about idiot coaching selections sometimes.

Reactions: bruce
I think Billy will get off. Simply because there are 50 examples at least from this year where players take the opposition in the same manner. Its not a square on shoulder charge which is what the rule is really for. Not barging someone over the side line side on, its meant for the shoulder not the arm and shoulder musle. what was he meant to do put his head down and get knocked out.

tajhay

🏉
He will get off because he is:
A) Billy Slater
B) Plays for Melbourne Storm
C) Legend within his era
D) Playing his final game in his last season. Would be cruel to rub him off a GF because of a stupid mistake.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as the same rule is applied across the board. Let's face it, if that was an unheralded young player he would have been suspended without the thought of blinking an eyelid.

The game already gave Slater a charity retirement present by making him SOO player of the series, and they will just add to that.

Cameron Smith will be frothing at how many favours the refs and NRL will be giving him in his final year.

He will get off because he is:
A) Billy Slater
B) Plays for Melbourne Storm
C) Legend within his era
D) Playing his final game in his last season. Would be cruel to rub him off a GF because of a stupid mistake.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as the same rule is applied across the board. Let's face it, if that was an unheralded young player he would have been suspended without the thought of blinking an eyelid.

The game already gave Slater a charity retirement present by making him SOO player of the series, and they will just add to that.

Cameron Smith will be frothing at how many favours the refs and NRL will be giving him in his final year.

Yep I agree. But they need to change the interpretation from a side on barge off the ball which is very different to a front on shoulder charge. Every time players are jostling shoulder to shoulder and one goes down, is that a shoulder chagre? They have shown PLENTY of examples of the same side on barge off the ball this year that didnt get put on report so he has plenty of ammo to take it to court should it be upheld. That one on Fusitua was mean as but I dont have a problem with it. Especally if players are using there body as a jostle.

Its the front on no arms hitting the trapezius that is the issue and why it was bought in, because people would do a Napa and go to high with it without using a tackle motion (which either was is a head high). you can still put on the same hit as before if you time it right.

but jostling sideline balls, side on shoulder using the deltoid to me is just part and passel of defending the edge,

Reactions: gREVUS
A good pass from Tedesco for that first try. I was thinking he's not usually considered a ball player but more a runner then Alexander says he's one of the best fullbacks at it.

Souths did a lot better than a thought they would this year. A big turn around from previous seasons. Their coach must be a favourite for coach of the year.

Reactions: Big_Fattz
Some big story lines coming into the Grand Final.

Cronk vs his old team.

Will Slater be suspended?

Will Friend get suspended for the spear tackle on Inglis?

What condition is Cronk's shoulder in? Will he be right for the Grand Final?

Cronk I'm guessing we will be reading about intense rehab and long sessions in hyperbaric chambers.

All building hype for the biggest game of the season.

Reactions: Citygirl and Rizzah
Is Billy's tackle any worse than the Waqa Blake tackle on Fusitua from round 17?
Watch from 3:35mins.
We may hear that tackle mentioned as an example during the week.

Gould likes to criticise the refs and the NRL about would rulings hold up on Grand Final day? The same applies to how things are ruled during the year. Things like suspensions if a player is suspended for something during the year it should apply later on. I think getting semi finals or Grand Final, Origins or test matches to rank higher opens up more issues.

I didn't mind him shoulder charging there to push Feki out of touch. I would of left it as a penalty and moved on. If the rules state it needs a charge and he has carryover points then the process followed throughout the year needs to be followed.

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow this week the NRL find a way to get the great Billy Slater to finish his career in a Grand Final. I suspect he gets off or he gets fined with the reasoning we brought fines in place for smaller offences.

Reactions: gREVUS and Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Cronk will have to make sure the shoulder is NAS proof; I imagine most of the early Storm hitups will be coming his way.
Not to mention the post kick niggle.