General NRL 2018 FINALS Week 2 - General Discussion

Are you jumping on another bandwagon? If so which team?

• Storm

• Roosters

• Sharks

• Rabbitohs

• Panthers

• Dragons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Great game.. hoping the red v would get home .. but ohh well....Those strips were game changers. In summer school SK needs to coach the boys how and when to do it and for better ball retention to prevent it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42 and bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I liked the striping. I thought the penalty against the dragons for the dummy half play of the ball into the opposition was a bit rank. It changed the direction, killed the attack and gave Souths a massive leg up. I honestly cant recall seeing any calls like it. I have seen players on the ground penalised. I have seen play of the ball being called back and told to play it again, but not a penalty for milking. Does this mean there will be a penalty for walking off the mark next week. Or maybe a voluntary tackle penalty

Reactions: AlexM and Sup42

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
From Melb can confirm this. Afl no where near as good on tv.
100% tried getting into it by watching it on Telly and it was a snooze fest, got invited to a game at the MCG and really enjoyed it and tried watching it on tv again and lost all interest again lol

Reactions: bruce
One thing is clear, if the Warriors want to win the NRL they have to finish in the top 4. The home semi and the extra life are needed.

Definitely, best case you win and get a rest, worst case you at least get another chance to adjust your intensity for finals footy.

There are really no excuses for not making the top 4 this year.

I've often heard afl is much better live ( my nephew actually plays vfl which is like reserve grade) so I went and watched a couple of games- both times left at half time- it was still boring as bat shit.
Might be a different story at the mcg? Or if I had any idea what was going on.

Reactions: OMG and Sup42
Wow. Well done dragons. You may have lost but you proved the Burger boys are whinging poms and souths are out next week. So close, with out Whipit I thought they had no chance. Ben Hunt is showing what Shaun Johnson could do with his career. Something holding Shaun Johnson back like Hunt. but he resolved it. I cant wait to see Crowes face when easts stop him 1 short, Warriors losing sucked, so have to enjoy the small things left in the finals, like the Storm showing the Guppies how a Mans forward pack rolls the field.

I've often heard afl is much better live ( my nephew actually plays vfl which is like reserve grade) so I went and watched a couple of games- both times left at half time- it was still boring as bat shit.
Mate if you have never been to an 80000 strong MCG semi, DO it. Yes its AFL, but it is 100% better live. I dont think people recognise the skill in the game to be fair. It will never take off. Maybe one day NZ might have a team. But that will be it. Like Canada has a Grid Iron league. It is so much more fun to play too. Kicking that ball is sweet, punting that ball is much sweeter feeling than a league ball. It just keeps going.

Reactions: Defence and AlexM
Only the scum bags are left in the comp.

The four most obvious Cap fiddlers.

Pretty off putting really, I dont like any of them.

You know its bad when youre thinking go Melbourne, but that is where it has come to for me...the team with the least offensive dickheads.

but... but...
closest comp in the world

but.. but...
one win separating the top 8

but... but...
any team on their day blah blah blah

yeah it's all horsesh*t, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Even before you take into account rule-breaking there are some teams in this comp that have significant advantages over others. Until the NRL rectify that I'll consider this competition a sh*tshow run by a bunch of small-time amateurs.

big sam was average last night, thought the twins were better, sam might have had his mind on what he was going to post on facebook after the game !!

even old james graham is staying out of the tough stuff now and thinks he is an edge forward, might be time to head back to the superleague soon ginger nuts

souths didnt turn up until 30 to go, cant see them doing much to the roosters next week

big sam was average last night, thought the twins were better, sam might have had his mind on what he was going to post on facebook after the game !!

even old james graham is staying out of the tough stuff now and thinks he is an edge forward, might be time to head back to the superleague soon ginger nuts

souths didnt turn up until 30 to go, cant see them doing much to the roosters next week
That last 20 might have turned everything around, they found what got them the 9 game winning streak earlier in the year, hard running, standing in tackles and keeping the ball moving

Reactions: Defence

Stalefish540

System reboot, see you all in '23.
Contributor
but... but...
closest comp in the world

but.. but...
one win separating the top 8

but... but...
any team on their day blah blah blah

yeah it's all horsesh*t, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Even before you take into account rule-breaking there are some teams in this comp that have significant advantages over others. Until the NRL rectify that I'll consider this competition a sh*tshow run by a bunch of small-time amateurs.
But if we weren't so shit and beat the Dogs, Titans and Sharks like we should have then we take out the minor prem by 4 points. Does that mean we're one of those cheating clubs??

But if we weren't so shit and beat the Dogs, Titans and Sharks like we should have then we take out the minor prem by 4 points. Does that mean we're one of those cheating clubs??

If I'm being honest I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Sup said he wasn't a fan of the top four because they had a proven history of getting a competitive advantage that other clubs didn't have (either by cheating or with some influence by their big-name owners**).

** I've heard interviews from SBW and Sam Burgess where they've both stated that the major factor in them going to their respective clubs (Roosters and Bunnies) was that they had been courted and built a personal relationship with said club owners (Nick Politis and Russell Crowe). You could say the same for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Luke and Foran with Jim Doyle.

I was sarcastically saying that because the comp is "so even" that all that other stuff becomes irrelevant. People often use the evenness of the comp to justify that the system works but I strongly disagree.

If it weren't for salary cap rorting, TPA's and a whole bunch of other things we could have a completely different top 8, top 4 and premiership winner.

If we're not gonna have a completely fair comp than the NRL needs to start releasing data so the fans know exactly what they're spending their money on ie Do we have a $10.5m roster or a $9.7m roster? Should I expect a top 8 finish or a top 4 finish? Do we have a high travel distance this year? Is our city a place that players want to move to? etc.

That way fans would have realistic expectations and have positives to look at if their team doesn't win the comp. Most fans go into the season thinking they have the same chance of winning the comp as everyone else (1 in 16) but that's far from the truth.

Before the season even starts teams like the Roosters, Storm and Broncos would have significantly higher chances of winning the comp than teams like the Titans, Knights and Eels for reasons completely unrelated to player form, coaching or overall ability. A simple example I like to use is the GF. For the Warriors to win the GF they'd have to win away from home in Australia (regardless of where they finish on the ladder). For the Roosters to win they'd have to win at home, possibly to an away team even if the away team had a better season than them i.e. 2002. THAT RIGHT THERE IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE WHICH IS UNDESERVED!

Obviously this is something all clubs are aware of and they'd understand that that's just the nature of the game. It'd also make winning the comp that much sweeter for those teams who have more hurdles to overcome.

At the end of the day I just want the fans to know exactly how this whole thing works and what they should be expecting. I'll support my team every day of the week, but I hate the idea of patronizing and financially supporting a competition that knowingly deals my team a bad hand while acting like everything's square.

Reactions: Sup42

Stalefish540

System reboot, see you all in '23.
Contributor
If I'm being honest I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Sup said he wasn't a fan of the top four because they had a proven history of getting a competitive advantage that other clubs didn't have (either by cheating or with some influence by their big-name owners**).

** I've heard interviews from SBW and Sam Burgess where they've both stated that the major factor in them going to their respective clubs (Roosters and Bunnies) was that they had been courted and built a personal relationship with said club owners (Nick Politis and Russell Crowe). You could say the same for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Luke and Foran with Jim Doyle.

I was sarcastically saying that because the comp is "so even" that all that other stuff becomes irrelevant. People often use the evenness of the comp to justify that the system works but I strongly disagree.

If it weren't for salary cap rorting, TPA's and a whole bunch of other things we could have a completely different top 8, top 4 and premiership winner.

If we're not gonna have a completely fair comp than the NRL needs to start releasing data so the fans know exactly what they're spending their money on ie Do we have a $10.5m roster or a $9.7m roster? Should I expect a top 8 finish or a top 4 finish? Do we have a high travel distance this year? Is our city a place that players want to move to? etc.

That way fans would have realistic expectations and have positives to look at if their team doesn't win the comp. Most fans go into the season thinking they have the same chance of winning the comp as everyone else (1 in 16) but that's far from the truth.

Before the season even starts teams like the Roosters, Storm and Broncos would have significantly higher chances of winning the comp than teams like the Titans, Knights and Eels for reasons completely unrelated to player form, coaching or overall ability. A simple example I like to use is the GF. For the Warriors to win the GF they'd have to win away from home in Australia (regardless of where they finish on the ladder). For the Roosters to win they'd have to win at home, possibly to an away team even if the away team had a better season than them i.e. 2002. THAT RIGHT THERE IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE WHICH IS UNDESERVED!

Obviously this is something all clubs are aware of and they'd understand that that's just the nature of the game. It'd also make winning the comp that much sweeter for those teams who have more hurdles to overcome.

At the end of the day I just want the fans to know exactly how this whole thing works and what they should be expecting. I'll support my team every day of the week, but I hate the idea of patronizing and financially supporting a competition that knowingly deals my team a bad hand while acting like everything's square.
The comps about as close as it's going to get. What other comp since 2000 has had 12/17 different winners, with it being possibly 14/17 if Warr or Parra had have won. Ofcourse certain clubs will likely be consistently in the premiership window due to a number of factors and the way the comp is structured, thats just the nature of the game and im sure 90% of fans clearly understand that. If majority of fans go into the season from clubs 1 to 16 thinking they're a chance to win the premiership, then thats just pretty low footy IQ, most fans have a pretty good gauge on where their team is at.

Where does the NRL make out that everything is 100% fair anyway?? They talk about how the salary cap keeps the comp closer than any other, but i've never heard about them talking about how everything is 100% fair.

The fans are never gonna know exactly how things work, it's complicated and it's a business after all. I also don't think the NRL is in a postion to tell fans what they should expect from their team, it is sport and there are far too many variables.